PDA

View Full Version : First Wednesday Night Race on the Chesapeake

SkipperJer
04-25-2014, 08:07 AM
This past Wednesday evening marked the opening of the racing season on the Chesapeake. The weather was "dynamic". Some of the clubs racing on protected rivers had great fun. I was going to crew on a boat whose club canceled since it was blowing about 30 knots right up the creek most use to get out to the Potapsco River and the Bay. The hard-core racers at Annapolis went out and had an exciting night with sleigh-ride runs, blown sails, and one broken rig. It's worth watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYHFYE8Y0yQ

Caferacer59
05-11-2014, 07:16 PM
Thanks for posting this. By the way I have my ariel slipped on rock creek off the Patapsco.

SkipperJer
05-12-2014, 05:41 AM
I used to be at Young's off of Old Road Bay on the other side of the Patapsco and raced with North Point Sailing Association. At one time there were two Commanders and four Ariels there. Most have since dispersed to other yards.

SkipperJer
05-13-2014, 05:22 AM
By the way, Young's is going strong and is still the home of most boats in the North Point Sailing Association. The Ariel/Commander fleet has just gone through the usual round of boat trading.

Caferacer59
05-13-2014, 11:01 AM
I considered Youngs to slip the boat but went with Oak Harbor, (Ken Brohman), I did talk with Phil Young, also a good guy, nice to know there are choices. I am completely new to sailing but have been getting out twice a week. Hope to do the wednesday thing eventually. I had no idea that there were that many airels and commanders in the local vicinity.