PDA

View Full Version : Ariel 417 Introduction

Caferacer59
03-29-2014, 05:27 AM
Hello my name is jerry smith and I am the new caretaker of Ariel 417 she is now based in Baltimore at rock creek off the Patapsco river. The forum has been a wealth of information for me. I am completely new to sailing and when searching for my first vessel I fell for Albergs lines in a big way so here we are. Look forward to contributing to the forum in my own small way.

The po posted a number of pictures that are on the board. She hasn't changed much and is in good sailing condition.

Best regards

Js

mbd
03-29-2014, 09:30 AM
Welcome and congratulations on your excellent choice of a first boat! She'll take good care of you.

ebb
03-29-2014, 02:36 PM
Aboard, Jerrry !
A338

Caferacer59
03-31-2014, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the welcome, and I have fond connections with places nearby both of your "home ports" My family and I spend a few weeks in Maine most every August in the Belgrade Lakes region specifically on Long Pond and my sister has lived in San Anselmo for 25 years now, and Point Reyes is one of my favorite places in the world. You both live in Beautiful parts of the world.

CapnK
04-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Hi Jerry!

You're gonna love your Ariel! :D She's only 5 hulls younger than mine :cool:, and since mine originally came from up that way, I'd wager that they have seen each other out on the water before.

I see your name 'caferacer', so you ride, too? That is something I got into last year, with a SYM Wolf 150 (think CB125S, but new and upgraded a bit). Then just a couple months ago I picked up a '72 Honda CB350 that I am getting ready for the road. She only has 6800 original miles on her, all OEM, in great shape. :) But I'm not cafe'ing or bobbing either, just like 'em stock.

Welcome aboard! :)

Caferacer59
06-08-2015, 02:04 PM
Have not been on here in a while but I am happy to report that a year and half later i could not be more happy in choosing an Ariel as my first sailboat. She has been a great boat and I have used her a lot, I am a much better sailor 18 months in and enjoy exploring the Chesapeake with her. Everyone says that your first boat will tell you what you really want in your next boat, in my case I am not so sure, I love this boat, feel safe in it and never tire of her lines. She is an affordable weekender with pedigree. Have a safe and fun sailing season..cheers. Jerry

SkipperJer
07-16-2015, 06:02 AM
If you are still at Rock Creek you should join us racing on Wednesday nights. North Point Sailing Association and Rock Creek Sailing meet for a 6:45 start at PW8 every Wednesday night near Old Road Bay. I race my Commander in non-spin and have done well on corrected time. We used to have 3 Ariels and 2 Commanders but the others have been dispersed to various new owners except for me. Last night we had 14 non-spin boats on the line in quite a NW breeze. It's pretty casual racing and lots of fun.

Caferacer59
07-21-2015, 12:34 PM
Hey skipper Jer, looks like the forecast is a repeat of last Wednesdays great weather 84, sunny and a NW 10-15 knts. I'll be out there tomorrow, leaving the oak harbor docks with a buddy for a day sail around 1 pm tomorrow, we hope to watch some of the race on our return. Need to learn more about racing, if you or anyone else needs crew ever let me know, I can usually get out out to the docks on Wednesday pretty early.

SkipperJer
07-24-2015, 01:53 PM
Sorry I did not respond sooner. I'm traveling in the MidWest. My crew sailed the Natty Boh't WEdnesday night. I don't know if you were able to see any of the fun. The North Point Sailing Association sails out of Young's Boatyard in Edgemere. The yard is on Jone's Creek across from Sparrows Point. Races usually form up at PW8 or PW6 with the sequence starting at 6:45. We are joined by a fleet of Spinnaker boats coming out of Rock Creek from RCSA. You should be able to hook up with some of them and catch a ride. Several RCRA non-spin boats also come over and compete in the class I'm in. I'll be back for the rest of the summer so we should be able to get connected sooner or later.

Caferacer59
07-27-2015, 11:15 AM
We were out there all day, came back around 7:15 and saw about 15 guys racing. Great wind on Wednesday we really got around.