PDA

View Full Version : Commander #4 "Robin"

Lou,com4
10-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Here's a couple of pictures of what I think is the oldest surviving Commander.

Lou,com4
10-01-2013, 02:17 PM
Sorry, having trouble with uploads, will try again

Fritz
10-01-2013, 06:31 PM
Hi Lou, You are one digit off to having the oldest Commander. I purchased C #3 last fall. I just posted a picture of it. Your boat looks very nice, how long have you owned it?

Lou,com4
10-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Hi Fritz,
We got our boat in 2007. I was an Ensign sailor for 20 years, so I knew what great boats Alberg designed. We love our boat, and I'm slowly restoring it. Sails like a dream. Didn't see the photo of your boat, but would love to.

paulsproesser
10-02-2013, 03:59 PM
I sure would like to find 1 & 2. The disadvantage of having one of the first ones is that they had some imperfections. They hadn't worked the bugs out yet and on some of the later ones they added a couple features ours don't have one in particular I wish I had is the cockpit starboard access hatch I only have the one on the port seat.

Lou,com4
10-05-2013, 05:03 AM
Yes, I only have the port side access, but not all changes were improvements in my mind- the newer boats seem to have the f-glass bench seat running in front of the companionway. I like the better access and more leg room provided by our configuration.

paulsproesser
10-05-2013, 06:29 AM
I thought the bench seat in front of the companionway was only on the inboard engine models for better access to engine. If not do you have any idea what year they began that? There's another old abandoned commander around the creek from me all original but neglected and it has that feature but I don't know the hull #.

Bill
10-05-2013, 09:39 AM
The "bridge deck" is an offshore safety feature. Prevents massive water intrusion should the boat get pooped.

SkipperJer
10-07-2013, 08:25 AM
An inconsiderate (or worse) big power boater crossed very close to my stern at high speed and their deep wake loaded my cockpit in about 3 seconds. We were already climbing up the face of a large wake created by a trawler that went by us when the second, bigger wake, slapped over the stern. Winds were light so we didn't have much drive to carry us through waves. We were getting bobbed up and down pretty good. The second wake caught us from behind with our bow in the air on the top of the first wake. Had the timing been different this would have been just another annoying outcome from sailing on rivers with mixed traffic.

The cockpit was 2/3s filled. A lot must have come in the outboard well but the motor started successfully later. We never felt we were in danger of sinking but the boat was certainly squatting more. We recovered OK in three or four minutes. It took much longer to burn off the adrenaline. Some duffles below were soaked from a splash over the bridgedeck. We mopped up with sponges.

I'd recommend if you have the older model with the big hatch that you keep at least the lower hatch boards in place when underway. If we had that big hatch we would have had to pump that water out of the boat instead of waiting for it to drain. To his credit, the power boater turned around and made sure we were OK. By the time he slowed down, turned and got back to us the cockpit was well on its way to emptying out. There were ladies present so we were less than truthful with him about our feelings. This was an ordinary Saturday on a river feeding the Chesapeake. The timing and this guys judgement were bad. The rest of the day was OK once we dried out.

ebb
10-07-2013, 11:40 AM
So much water getting into the cockpit is surprising.
But it's Murphy's Law.
That water weight plus crew is considerable and the boat could murphy further stern down
and not recover. Especially in a double murphy situation!
We've never heard of that happening, have we? Til now.
But jerks in motorboats and short chop is normal on the planet, not just the Chesapeake.

If the water came in the OB well it is also a damn good way for it to exit back out again
- if the boat has recovered.

At 64lbs a cubic foot, a half a ton plus crew in the cockpit couldt become dicey if the drains
are resticted and the cockpit hatch into the lazarette is closed. A second dousing could be very
dangerous. Especially if it's getting below.

As you say, it's a very good idea to sail with the first companionway board in place.
That's also unusual. But it is a good habit to get into to.

Imagine water coming aboard from the stern, and then suddenly the boat pitches forward,
and a good portion of it getting into the cabin.
And where would we be if it happened one more time..... like that?:eek:

Heed the warning!

(maybe the hatch board could also have some cup, can, or drink holders on it)

Bill
10-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Zoltan found that the outboard well acted as a "super scupper" for emptying the cockpit when it flooded during his sail from LAX to the Med.

C-195
10-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the heads up on cruising with the lower hatch way board in place. Will do so from now.

Lou,com4
10-13-2013, 05:01 AM
Yes- good advice- thanks.

Rico
10-19-2013, 03:01 PM
FYI - There is a thread on the plusses / minuses of the bridgedeck - along with hull numbers having this feature.

Welcome #4 - Nice bright green - I like it!

paulsproesser
11-08-2013, 05:19 AM
Or bailing out the cabin. I'll heed the word of the wise and unfortunately experienced. Although we've never been close to a bad experience like that I can imagine it. So far in our area there's room for a wide berth with other boats and I'm not keen on sitting still in a dead wind. Even when power boats have passed within 40-50 ft we never have been splashed . There was a day we went out in the bay and a squall was passing thru and the bay churned up to to about 5 to 8 ft short chop and I found myself looking straight down at the bow meaning me and the stern were almost verticle and vice versa. It was the first time Lisa ever got seasick and I even got queesy .But never more than some splash in the cockpit and of course the whole topside got it good but in drained off quickly overboard and down the scuppers. However I could see it in a worse situation if you lost forward momentum and your stern was to submerge at the bottom of a swell. I guess we will BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES FOR SAFETY next time we find ourselves in such a predicament. Those are the times that sailing isn't so much fun.:p

SkipperJer
11-08-2013, 06:17 AM
Keep in mind, I got snookered by two large wakes on an otherwise calm day. The trawler wake I was climbing was steep but not unexpected. The stern wake was generated by a large and very fast powerboat cutting across my wake and bearing away. It caught up with us with the stern at the bottom of the trough from the first wake. His timing was perfect. He insisted--and I believe him--that it was not deliberate but he realized afterward that he could not have done much more to swamp my stern under the circumstances if he tried. Without the wave at the bow we still would have gone for a bit of a ride accompanied by the usual remarks about inconsiderate power-boaters.

paulsproesser
11-08-2013, 06:35 AM
I'll bet you were livid ! I would've been and thinking about loading the flare gun lol.