PDA

View Full Version : Lightening strike totals...

PBrown
09-14-2002, 05:17 PM
Alas, hit by lightening at the mooring (unpersoned) resulting in Commander #49 has been totaled by the Ins. Co. The repair is $3OOO+ more than insurance on the boat, and that just covers estimates on hull repair. My first keel boat (6+ year owner) and know I would need to put another $3000 in it over the next several years, all to sail on a river for the 4 month season. It is hard to think about letting go...but reality suggests putting $16,000 into this situation is crazy.
Assume I will be posting ads to sell the new mainsail and cover if I can't find another Commander or Ariel. I have not been in a position like this. Any helpful experiences?
You can post here or email directly at Pbrowkblak@aol.com.
Thanks

Mike Goodwin
09-14-2002, 06:48 PM
If I understand your post , you are getting a $13,000 payoff for a Commander ? You can get 2 for that amount maybe 3 if you shop carefully .

Tony G
09-14-2002, 07:45 PM
PBrown-sorry to hear about your misfortune. At least no one was onboard or injured. Lightning strikes is one thing I wonder about from time to time. There seems to be two schools of thought predominating the matter: don't worry about it and protect your #@*. Did you take any protective measures for grounding or channeling on 49? Any insights?

Mike-It took me a little over a year to track down an Alberg design for sale in this part of the country and I wasn't picky, A22,CDory,Ariel,A30...And this is supposed to be the land of 10,000 lakes. I consider myself lucky to have found one(so lucky I just bought an Ensign)

Mike Goodwin
09-14-2002, 09:02 PM
That's why they make trailers .
But I bet you can find ice boats behind every tree.

Mike Goodwin
09-14-2002, 09:05 PM
Northern Mn ? I thought all of MN was northern .

ebb
09-16-2002, 07:20 AM
PBrown: can you tell us what the extent of damage was to your Commander? What did the strike do to your hull?

Did you have lightning protection rigged?

Janice Collins
09-16-2002, 02:37 PM
Detailsof the damage would be interesting and if you did have a lightening protection system, a description of that would be helpful also.

You just can't start a story like that and leave out these important details. Inquiring minds want to know....

And my heart goes out to you and the boat....

Theis
09-18-2002, 06:03 PM
You can't just leave a story hanging like this. What happened? Did you have an effective ground system? Was it at the dock? At anchor? Please fill in the lines.