PDA

View Full Version : America's cup action

Bill
02-21-2013, 10:46 PM
Here's a video of what we get to watch here on SF Bay. Stick with it through the first part to get to the fabulous sailing video:

http://youtu.be/jUZu7RivhoQ

ebb
02-21-2013, 11:58 PM
Team USA? Can't figure out what part of Brooklyn those guys come from.
Maybe the Bronx.:rolleyes:

Ariel 109
02-23-2013, 04:39 AM
Yes the nationalism in the America's Cup is mostly limited to the guy writing the checks. Back in the days of Nat Herreshoff's defenders the skipper was a Scot named Charlie Barr with a crew of crack Squarehead sailors in their white dungarees, conspicuous in their lack of Red Bull advertising. Yumpin yimminy, Barr's sailing master was needed to translate the commands to the crew!

I'm also enthusiastic about this upcoming America's Cup, the new boats are marvels. I envy you guys in SF. My only fear is that the racing, though very fast and most challenging, will be so dominated by one of the designs that a repeat the drag races of the 2010 America's Cup will occur.

Here's a nice article about the different AC 72 designs.

http://www.sail-world.com/USA/Americas-Cup:-Ex-Oracle-design-chief-looks-at-the-Class-of-2013/105594

Bill
03-19-2013, 10:06 PM
Scuttlebutt published this . . .

FUN ON FOILS: This latest video from Oracle Team USA shares comments from the crew about what it's like to fly their AC72 "17" on foils, sometimes at speeds of over 40 knots, and experience the sensational acceleration from onboard. Footage from both on and off the boat provide a riveting example for what lies ahead this summer:

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2013/03/19/fun-on-foils/

Commander 147
03-20-2013, 06:38 AM
Bill

Thanks for that it was a fun watch and interesting to hear their opinions of what they were feeling when the boat was going 40 knots.

mbd
03-20-2013, 07:29 AM
Holy crap. OK - who's doing the first Ariel/Commander hydrofoil mod?

Here's the personal version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1SN1gSkqvy0

ebb
03-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Advances are made with these high tech sleds... in foils and materials and gear.
The contest is spectacular, acrobatic handling, close calls at the marks, our participation
requiring high tech advances in lenses, digital photography and airborne media.

But don't see the sport any more important to boating than curling or bobsledding.
It would be more interesting and more in keeping with the sport of sailing
if the vessels stayed in the water, like those of the ocean crossing monohull racers,
where catamarans and trihulls aren't really competative. Arguable, I may be wrong.

But pushing the limits of single hull sailboats excites me.
Like single body birds find their darwinian extremes. Extremes here I can relate to.
More than rather ineffectual attempts to fly off the water - for brief periods in perfect conditions
- on a double wide trampoline.:D

Bill
03-20-2013, 09:39 AM
But pushing the limits of single hull sailboats excites me.
Like single body birds find their darwinian extremes. Extremes here I can relate to.
More than rather ineffectual attempts to fly off the water - for brief periods in perfect conditions
- on a double wide trampoline.:D

Did you view Mike's link to uTube? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=1SN1gSkqvy0

Maybe we can foil an ACYA yacht :confused:

ebb
03-20-2013, 09:50 AM
Didna say it wasn't a whole lot of FUN!

Let's foil 'em.

...ahhh...let's see.... how much foil surface do we need
to lift two and a half tons out of the briney?...:eek:
.................................................. .........................................

OK OK.
Suppose we build a next generation Commander out of Kevlar and cabon fiber
- same Alberg hull - as light as possible, half weight - like those America's Cup hulls.
Increase the height of the fiber mast, double the sail area, fly huge gennies
and concentrate maybe less ballast but even lower, no interior furniture.
Try it without rigging. Try a rudder off the transom. Stripped down deck.

Regular A/Cs are reported to go faster than designed hull speed.
Maybe not get 40mph, but might double speed.

Recall someone building Ensigns out of modern materials,
wonder if they go faster, or are there weight distribution rules for racing?

Ariel 109
03-20-2013, 02:46 PM
Take a look at this clip of a practice race between Luna Rossa and Team New Zealand. Right at the beginning of the clip watch Luna Rossa's incredible acceleration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teVvCe7pDHs

Ebb throughout the history of the America's Cup most of the boats have been freaks, the exception being the J Boat and 12 meter periods.

c_amos
09-11-2013, 01:07 PM
I drove up from florida last week, toured parks all over the southwest and put another 4,000 miles on the van to get here.

Wow the races are amazing! especially enjoyed race 4!

I won 3 free tickets to the east stands for tomorrow (Thursday, sept 12). These are $110 tickets, I will only be using 2 (dad and I). If anyone else is here and can use the ticket it is yours, just send me a PM.

c_amos
09-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Ya know, I was feeling a little bit silly a couple days ago..

...I mean, it was 8 to 1 and was not looking too good for us.

I drove my van over 4000 miles to watch this.....

I have been to the races every single day since I arrived, and it was tough watching the standings, even when I started this thread. I said then, and say now.... What an incredible show!

This has got to be one of the greatest rallies in sailing history. I am glad NBC has finally started to show some coverage of the race...

Tomorrow is not to be missed!

Go Oracle!

Bill
09-24-2013, 06:05 PM
NBC has covered the total race, mostly on their Sports Network (NBCSN). With Stan Honey's overlay of course limit lines, overlap circles and the VMG triangles, the action is really exciting. Even those with no understanding of sailboat racing, should be getting it.

Tuesday, Sep 25, is the day . . . unless Mother Nature throws a weather curve again . . Go Oracle!

SkipperJer
09-25-2013, 05:32 PM
My cable provider login let me watch live from Baltimore on NBCsports website. It was exciting to watch such a comeback but the race was actually boring. Oracle never looked back. They widened their lead with every tack. It was a clinic on how a well-sailed and faster boat will always beat a well-sailed, slower one. New Zealand reminded me of how I felt before I bought a new headsail. Doing the right things but the speed just wasn't there. Still exciting to see them come back from soooo far behind.