PDA

View Full Version : Saint Andrews, NB, Canada - Races

noeta-112
09-03-2002, 08:13 AM
Bitten by a bad bug .... ?? Never really considered sailboat racing when I bought NOETA .... But she must have it in her ...ah... bloodline !!

Headed up to Saint Andrews from Eastport at 0600 1st Sept. to take part in the race sponsored by Saint Andrews Yacht Club.

The marine forecast was for 10kts SW shifting to South later in the day. We motored the whole way up to be sure we got there in time for the Captain's meeting. Actually, we could,ve sailed for about 1/4 of the way and still possibly made it in time. Because of the uncertainty of clearing Customs however, we opted to play it safe. The yacht club had been broken into the night before and burgees etc. had been sliced up and the place left in disarray. The mounties had been called but never made it to the meeting.

We were told at the meeting that there was to be at least one race & possibly three races if the wind came fair. Well it did and three races were run!! I don't know how hard it blew but nearly everything in the cabin had a conference on the wet cabin sole!

I'll save the details for later ... hopefully for the Newsletter :) .
The first race was a straight up windward to a BLUE barrel passed to port and return to line. We had a good start but a BLUE barrel???? Anyway we finally found it after half of the 11 boat fleet had rounded it. Then we ran two triangular courses the second of which we all reduced headsails for. Yes it was blowing and the rail stayed wet. What a blast!

We came in tied for 3rd place with the 28 ft Tartan we had beaten in the Roosevelt cup challenge.
(and this time he had all new sails flying!!! (against NOETA's very dated & streched suit).

More later!

Bill
09-03-2002, 09:03 AM
Sounds like great fun! Looking for an expanded story for the newsletter. :)

Janice Collins
09-05-2002, 02:15 PM
Sounds like you are both bitten by the racing bug...Congatulations AGAIN!!!!!

:cool: