PDA

View Full Version : Ariel #27

MegandAdam
03-02-2012, 04:48 PM
My wife and I are the proud new owners of a 1962 Ariel...hull #27. We are novices and are looking for tips and advice on sailing, restoration, maintenance and care. Thank you.:)8165

mbd
03-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Congrats and welcome! Great to have another Ariel owner in Maine! Where are you located?

PS. Feel free to post some more pics. Your boat has some interesting details...

MegandAdam
03-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Thank you Mike, we are in New Sharon but our Ariel is in Belfast8167...and you? We have a plethora of pictures, might we ask what details were interesting? After all we are eager sponges awaiting stimuli.:) Megan

Rico
03-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Welcome to the board. You've certainly come to the right place... (I believe!)

Now; tell us more, and post lots of pictures!

BTW - Your mast looks to be a bit short! :D

MegandAdam
03-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Thank you Rico. Well, we have always dreamed of sailing in early retirement...however we are now only in our thirties and found our Ariel prior to an education in the subject matter. So here we are along with our borrowed copies of Chapman Piloting and Knight's Modern Seamanship as these were told to us to be our first literary endeavors as boat owners. Indeed our boom might not measure up:)...the mast is in storage as is our Ariel while we restore the teak and fiberglass (once we figure out how to properly do so that is).:) Any advice would be much appreciated! Here are a few shots, let us know what other views might be preferable. 81738174817581768177 Thank you, Megan.

Rico
03-02-2012, 09:08 PM
"...Chapman Piloting and Knight's Modern Seamanship ...

^^^ Serious readin' stuff! (But very good for rules-of-the-road, and right-of-way issues!)

Nice! A-27 seems to be in relatively good shape. You have great starting point!

Advice??:

- Don't forget to read classic epic adventures with nice hand-drawn, very romantic illustrations such as these:

http://yourbooksworld.com/images/History/sailing-alone-around-the-world.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u72/Parlordoor/DSCF2054.jpg

These will really motivate you to finish your projects and go sailing. When it comes to projects - perseverance is Key. You will be sailing soon...

- Learn as much as you can about the project oyu are going to undertake, and plan you projects in detail. Do it right the first time. You'll be glad you did. Most jobs are easier than you think - once oyu've done them! - There are two of you; This will make any project MUCH easier and fun-er; Read about the exciting adventures had by others here on these awesome boats. Think about how much fun you WILL have on A-27... This will help get you motivated too!

- An Ariel / Commander Owner's / Maintenance manual is rumoured to be available from the association... :D (I have one... - I'm sure Bill will chime-in and let you know if he has a dusty copy available somewhere!) Its drawings are not as pretty as the books above, but it is full of really good stuff in terms of maintenance & upgrade topics. Lot's of specs too...

- Every project you'll put on your to-do list someone here has already tackled it 3 different ways... So search-away (search function box is on the top right corner of the page!) to the last dusty corner of this site. Or just start browsing and enjoy!

- You'll note on the threads you read that If you keep the board updated on your upcoming plans & projects, people will surely chime in with recommendations and advice. We are a fairly slow bunch as far as response time, (we are usually out sailing, I'd like to think...) - but you'll get the RIGHT answers for certain!

Bill
03-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Ah yes, there is always a fine copy of the association's owners manual available. Just print the order form on the home page and mail it with your check :cool:

MegandAdam
03-03-2012, 05:16 AM
Thank you Rico and Bill. The manual actually came with the boat along with meticulous documentation so this has been our source for Ariel anatomy and terminology thus far. I appreciate and will search out your recommendations, I have as of yet read "This, You Won't Believe! ...Adventures of an Entrepreneur" by Maxx Robinson (a family friend). He underwent similar circumstances as we in acquiring the boat and restoration. Well, our plan is this;
restore the teak throughout,
remove the peeling paint and refinish the fiberglass,
and if possible replace the plywood/laminate wall, cabinet sections and countertops with solid wood (weight specifications permitting).
And most importantly learning these techniques properly prior to project commencement.;) Other than cosmetics and a name our Ariel is ready to sail...but we are not.:) So we are using our time productively while becoming educated.
Also, we are going to visit our Ariel tomorrow so I will try for some better shots (post-clean up that is).
Your time and knowledge are much appreciated Rico, thank you! Megan

Lucky Dawg
03-03-2012, 07:27 AM
Hey Megan and Adam,
I recently restored the decks on Lucky Dawg (C65) and there are a bunch of photos with comments of my progress on that project here https://picasaweb.google.com/100988960116603858412/Deckjob# I knew little to start, and therefore my notes with the pictures are pretty basic. Maybe you'll find them helpful in that respect. This is a very helpful board and few questions (if any) go unanswered.
Welcome and congrats on your new Ariel!

ebb
03-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Can tell from your photos
That your mast is a bit short and will have to be stretched.
And your non-skid paint job will have to be sanded a bit befor you buff it.

Good luck - and a speedy restoration!:D

MegandAdam
03-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Thank you Lucky Dawg.:) I will check out your link and appreciate the direction as basic is exactly what we need to begin! I assume the interior might be restored in the same fashion?
Stretched indeed ebb, I have yet to see the mast as it is in storage but I am sure dwarfs the boom atop our Ariel.:) And I was hoping that one could sand the fiberglass, chipping away sans tools is quite tedious...thank you.
Megan

bill@ariel231
03-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Megan and Adam,

Welcome aboard... the good news is she is all there. I can tell you folks are going to enjoy putting her back in business.

...as for the laminate interior, once we made new cushions for the interior and had all the paint and varnish work below finished, the early '60s interior kind of grew on Alyce and I.

cheers,
bill@ariel231

P.S. don't skimp on hearing protection and a good dust mask. it will be loud and dusty working the interior even with a vacuum cleaner connected to the sander. :)

MegandAdam
03-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Thank you Bill, we are as of tomorrow morning cataloging and dismantling all feasibly removable teak sections. My husbands shop is much warmer than Belfast this time of year:). This will also allot us more elbow room and comes equipped with respirators for the inevitable dust and fumes. I hope the laminate grows on us also...it would be more cost efficient.:)
A big thanks to Lucky Dawg...your link was most helpful. We now have a battle plan and product names to get started on the teak first (as of tomorrow morning) and then when the weather warms up tackling the cockpit. Your direction is much appreciated.:)
Megan

Ariel 109
03-03-2012, 05:50 PM
I want to also welcome you guys aboard! Ariel #27 looks like a nice boat. To be soon able to sail the Maine coast is certainly something to look forward to during all your hard work you're about to start.

I'm with Bill on the Formica question, you'll see, it will likely grow on you in time. I think Pearson thought they were being innovative, practical and stylish using all that laminate in the cabin back when our boats were built. They could have use painted plywood like most boat interiors of the era, that would have been cheaper to do.

carl291
03-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Welcome to you both, very nice first boat, It could take you around the world. Be sure to use the search feature on this site, (upper right corner). There is nothing your boat could need that isn't posted here. If you have a specific question don't hesitate to ask. You'll get at least 3 different answers, all lending to the same result. Your laminate looks very nice, complete and no broken edges. If you can't live with it, some have painted over and trimmed with brightwork and that also looks very nice.
As a note, don't discount using a pressure washer to the interior and exterior to knock off the loose paint.... sure beats sanding!

mbd
03-04-2012, 04:52 AM
...might we ask what details were interesting?
Well, it looks like a previous owner has done a lot of work at some point. A quick list: green topsides paint, no lifelines or stern/bow pulpits, after market forward port, looks like an alternate configuration of winches on the coamings (spinnaker?), a scupper on the stern quarter, non-stock cabin-top handrails, navigation lights mounted on teak pads, (and after your pics) engine controls in the cockpit for an outboard, a traveler for your main sheet, and someone has already mentioned your shortened mast... :)

The previous owners of my Ariel lived in Stockton Springs and sailed out of Belfast! Now we sail out of South Portland.

Again, a hearty welcome aboard! As others have already said you'll find tons of info and many great restoration gurus here who are always happy to give advice and tips.

Tony G
03-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Welcome aboard Megan and Adam. You guys are set to have a blast with #27. As Mike pointed out the previous owners have done what appears to be a lot of changes to her already. All of which seem like good choices. All that remains is some paint and polish!

Speaking for all left-handers out there (here)-post pictures!

MegandAdam
03-05-2012, 03:45 PM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Much appreciated Ariel 109; I have seen many videos of Noesis in our search for Ariel footage.:)
And to you as well Carl thank you, after the first day of restoration the pressure washer sounds like a potential avenue. We used a floor brush to start but focused more on the teak removal and cataloging. And the search option will I am sure come in handy soon enough.:)
Wow Mike…I must admit having to research some of the terms however am appreciative for the educated insight into our unique Ariel. I only hope when complete our restorations will evoke such notice…in a positive light that is.:)
Thank you Tony G. Adam and I drooled over your woodworking in the restoration pictures you posted. The curvatures and sheer craftsmanship were to say the least…most impressive!

MegandAdam
03-05-2012, 04:38 PM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> So…March 4<sup>TH</sup> our official commencement of restoring our yet to be named Ariel.
Quick, to the boatyard!
We are here somewhere…
There we are in the back with the blue tarp.
Adam started off using a floor brush on the loose paint in the forepeak.

MegandAdam
03-05-2012, 04:50 PM
I was in charge of cataloging and dismantling the teak sections.
Lucky Dawg described how his hardware cataloging had made the process of reinstalling much easier, so I copycatted the drug bust look. :)

MegandAdam
03-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Emma is the official “lookout” for pirates.
And some mystery teak? We have as of yet to figure out what these pieces belong to. Any ideas?
Caught on break by the little one.
We think this is brass and if so in need of some clean up also.

MegandAdam
03-05-2012, 05:03 PM
Just under six hours later…the Saab is packed full with teak, tools and a tot. Ready to head home and call it a day.

MegandAdam
03-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Day two; sanding experimentation at the shop. Adam used simple 40 grit, then 60, 80 and finally 120 to get a basic idea of what to look for in appearance and feel.
…more to come soon. Thanks for all your support! Megan:)

Tony G
03-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Hey! You guys are off and running! It is kind of astonishing how many pieces there are when you start to take things off a boat. And how much they start to look alike, or, sometimes, and, somehow they start to not look like what they are!?! Add to that challenge you have a few things that are not stock-I really like your companion way ladder. And photos!!! You guys rule the day.

MegandAdam
03-05-2012, 05:45 PM
You aren't kidding! Thanks to Lucky Dawgs cataloging pictures to mimic and a legal pad sketch of the boat labeled with each part and its' proper home, I hope to avoid such potential re-installation mishaps.:)

carl291
03-06-2012, 11:40 AM
I think you are very experienced sailors.... I good lookout for pirates is a top priority off the barbarous coast of Maine! You never know when a band of Canadian seafarers may sweep into the harbor seeking an easy booty!!!