PDA

View Full Version : Bay area sailing ( delta )

French
08-29-2002, 10:50 AM
G-day

Bay area sailors, I'm planning on taking Kuan Yin to Suisun city this weekend. Our first time heading that way, anyone have advice? Things to look out for?

Bill
08-29-2002, 10:51 AM
Do you have a depth sounder?

French
08-29-2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Bill
Do you have a depth sounder?

Yes I do.
and will use it, no fun going a-ground. I did that once already just near the mothball fleet :-(
6 hr wait until high tide (1:00 am)

Looking at the charts, the channel seems more than deep enough even at low tide on the route to Suisun.

I'm just hopeing not to run into pregale force winds like on the trip to Alameda!!!
I have learned how to reef a sail since then :-)

Ed Ekers
08-29-2002, 02:19 PM
French,
Having gone to the Delta area a number of times I can offer a couple of tips that might help. Having a depth finder will do two things for you. One it will tell you how deep the water is where you are sailing. Two - it will confirm for you that yes in deed you are on the bottom. One item that we have found to be an absolute must is a series of charts. There are chart books, pamphlets, and full charts. We have used them all and in combination with each other. For the most part we are amazed at the accuracy. Try to time your trip with the currents and have a great time....ed

French
08-30-2002, 06:08 PM
Thanks Ed

I did my chart check, Harbormaster chat, tide check, boat check, chart re-check and am set to go...

have a good weekend all

French
09-03-2002, 02:42 PM
A long slow HOT trip...

It started out pleasant. We left early in the am going with the tide incoming tide. We had enough wind starting out to sail for the first couple of hours. A pleasant though somewhat over cast morning. Sailing past the" moth ball fleet" of Military Ships.
When we reached the turnoff into the channel into the marsh.
We had to sail about and ask a couple of people because from the chart it was diffrent . After getting it sorted out, we headed in.

Zero wind...a 3 hours motor upstream into marsh country and Suisun City, were temps were to reach in the 90's. It was now 75 degrees at 11:00 am.

The sail being up helped provide a little shade until noon when it was right over head. We had wide brim hats which helped.

I followed the chart evey turn, every bend in the channel which was like following a snake in the desert.

We arrived at Suisun, hot , safe, without any problems. We quickly dock , opened portals, turned on the fan, cooled down with water, and not-ice-anymore-icepacks, and took a nap until sundown...

French
09-03-2002, 02:44 PM
heading up stream ...

French
09-03-2002, 03:03 PM
I had planned on heading back to the Home port of Martinez around 1:00. It was the hot part of the day but the tide was heading out at that time. I figured I could ride it out, less work on the engine, since there was no wind. I check the charts for problem areas with the lower tide. Looked like I could do ok witjh some attention to details at a couple of points. There was a danger spot coming out of the channel, however I figured I could tkae a break at a little landing a saw and wait for the tide to come back in so I'd be safe.

the best layed plans...

About 2 hours into the trip back and having thought I made it past the couple of danger spots. We came upon a bend in the channel with a green maker on my port and two big power crusers coming at me. I start to come to port some to bring the marker to my starboard, but figured I'd give these big crusers a little extra room and past the maker just on my port side then complete the cut over into the lane. WRONG move!!!
yup, hello mud!

3 ft of water. I could tell we were in not too deep because the wake from other boats, would rock us greatly. I tried to time the big wake of a passing boat with gunning the motor in reverse... did not work. A couple people had second thoughts about trying to help pull us out after stopping. A Coast Gaurd boat came by and wave and smiled...I guess we did not look in danger! Since we figured to just wait until in-coming tide I guess we did not get so excited to see them and jump up and down...

About 15 min later a powerspeed boat comes by... goes by..turns around and comes back, this time with a camera taking pictures. He thought the bikes on the back were of interest for a sail boat.
When he heard we were stuck , his friend jumped in the water with his swim fins, brought over a line and pulled us free. Yeaaa !!!!

We ended up grounded for only 45 min, so I figured we still stop at the launch. I saw. We did so, it was pleasant. A nice planned stop. We had a meal, took pictures...

French
09-03-2002, 03:56 PM
Now it is time to launch from the dock. By now the wind has picked up and is press us broadside up against the dock. Not giving full thought on the strength of the wind, I try to take off with the sail still up. BAD MOVE! I could feel the wind pushing the bow into the reeds and bush. I quickly aborted the luanch , but no t in time enough to keep the bow from swing bow facing land and marsh and turning sideways against the dock. Afte much pulling, reverse engine, pushing we got Kuan Yin back to a launching position. Now with the sail down , we psuhed the bow into the wind and kept the stern tied to the dock, while back up to let the bow swing out, at this point, we took off forward.... whewwww.

Got out mid stream, up went the sails and cranked up the engine more , we headed out of the marshlands.

It s now getting dark, we have good winds, so I am letting her crank and go with it.

getting darker....

great evening, warm in the low 70's, wonderful sunset, life was good...

I turn on the light now, they last about 10 min beofre going dim. Having run the depth finder and the radio a good part of the day, ( or bad battry) the power was almost gone. We light a oil lamp and save the battery until we really need the light, like a ship coming..

Flying along still nice warm breeze, I'm watching the bridge lights and heading for an opening. I noticing i,m further over than i want to be , but think it is ok, it is almost high tide... on we fly...

Soon, the boat slows , then mades a turn on her own almost 160...!! WoW, Crap!!
We are grounded, in a spot that is should be ok at high tide or this close to it. !!!

The wind blows, I feel the the boat move slightly. I put it in reverse and gun it ! nothing , then a slight move. The wind gusts and i feel more movement, I put it in forward and gun it, the wind blows, Kuan yin turns a little , then takes off!! waaa whooooo!
we head for deep water, we're free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

The rest of the 45 min. sail was smooth and quite nice, even coming in the dark. The little bit of juice in the battery came in use coming into the marina as there were several boats coming and coming.

We docked and broke out wine, cheese and crackers to celibrate another safe return docking.