PDA

View Full Version : Ariel #92 The Anne Bonny

larry
11-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Hello everyone. My name is Larry and I have been working with much pleasure on my Pearson Ariel hull # 92. I bought her and hauled her myself 1300 miles from Mass. to Alabama. I started with cleaning of course and here is a glimpse of the condition she was in.79807981798279837984. It was in Nov. when I brought her home so I tackled the interior first. I cleaned it up and scraped and sanded and painted. It was a lot of work and cold sometimes but I enjoyed seeing it evolve. It was also exciting to go through years of collectibles, trinkets, old tools and spare parts. I have cleaned the exterior and put one coat on the top and anti-skid. I have also stripped and re-varnished the exterior teak which was surprisingly in good shape. I will post some pictures of Anne how she looks now tomorrow. Happy sailing, keep up the dream.

carl291
11-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Hello Larry and Welcome , That's a nice looking Ariel and I might add a great first post including pictures. There are a few members from AL as well here. I'm sure they will be chiming in. That is a pretty long tow, I've made that trip twice, to rescue an Electra in CT and a Ariel in MA. I'm located in Middle GA and have access to some Ariel parts so if you find yourself needing something just put out a request and see if one of us has it . Looking forward to the future pictures. Don't think I've seen red counter tops before!!

Tony G
11-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Welcome, Larry. Nice job securing a fine boat. I am really looking forward to the coming pictures and I LOVE the name. I once had a store cat named Anne Bonny...she was a pirate cat indeed.

larry
11-15-2011, 06:40 AM
Thank you Carl. Yeah that was a long haul but so worth it! I never seen red counter tops either. Unfortunately someone stained them with a chemical ..I suspect gas from prior mechanizing. I have redone the counter top pictured and sanded and repainted the stove. I went with an emerald green which I plan on painting her bottom side. While I try to maintain it's originality some things I find as cosmetics I can be a little flexible. Again thanks for the compliments and info..Larry

larry
11-15-2011, 06:50 AM
Thanks Tony..yes I think the Ariel is one sexy cruiser. I searched, looked at and researched many capable cruisers that could be trailer-ed. 5 yrs before I made up my mind. This one will be sailed in the Gulf and Caribbean soon. She'll be my home away from home. Anne bonny is a great name for a cat too!

larry
11-15-2011, 07:40 AM
Hi. As promised here are some pics. of my girl's interior make-over. I wish I had taken more before shot's but I was so excited and dove right in not thinking much of record. But if you seen my previous post these should convey the dramatic transformation. First I removed everything and went through with my hammer, telescope mirror and to my astonishment this girl was sound all but a few easily patch-able spots! I am a painter and I painted all the inside with exception to the hull itself with 100% acrylic exterior paint. 800580068007 I redone the stove counter top, which was red and badly stained and stripped and sanded the stove top top and bottom. The counter top I sanded and sprayed with enamel emerald green and coated it with three coats of polyurethane.
How does my engine look? I worked hard cleaning and stripping. You know how hard it is diving into the starboard and port compartments from the cockpit. A good thing I have a certification in Auto tech. as I pulled all it exterior parts off and cleaned them and checked them. This engine runs like a top! Fires up right away and runs cool as cucumber! I did have trouble at first with the float sticking but I was able to re-polish the float needle solving that problem. Definitely don't need any gas in the bilge! In the last picture I have re-routed those wires, old antenna and depth sounder, speaking of which my next post I want to show how I mounted my Depth sounder fish finder so you can swing it in and out of the cabin without dismantling it. I think you will like the curtains and cushions I cleaned/replaced as well. Hey those 1960 England made barometer and clock still work! I love It!

larry
11-16-2011, 06:53 AM
Last Spring I installed a new depth sounder/fish finder. I wanted to share the idea that had evolved in the installation. I used a 3/4 " thick piece of oak. 5 1/2 " L and 3 1/2" W. I drilled two holes on one end and attached it to the outer edge of my companionway frame opening. I drilled another 7/16" hole through the width on the other end for a hinge pin type function. I then added another piece of oak strip for an extension to mount the monitor on. This is what I came up with.:D 80138014 I will be adding another thin piece of oak (an angular brace) under the extension piece holding the monitor for support and stability.

larry
11-17-2011, 05:01 AM
Here is some shots of the interior with cushion and curtains in place

larry
11-17-2011, 05:35 AM
This summer I have been re- finishing the teak and ant-skid on Anne Bonny. The teak was in pretty good shape. I was a little peeved when I found someone had stained it though. Why someone would go dark on such lovely grain I don't know. I didn't want to strip it with chemicals because this was very old teak and I wanted to preserve what oils and integrity was left. So, pains- takings I scraped and sanded every bit. There are a few small issues but overall I think it came out well. As far as the anti skid I will put another coat on in the Spring.

larry
11-17-2011, 06:23 AM
I did this myself..a little rough but I am an decent artist and will perfect it when I transfer it to Anne's transom. This is drawn in actual size, though you can't tell by this picture. It is colored pencil.

C38
11-17-2011, 06:48 AM
Nice lettering! did you draw the letters yourself? or trace them?

larry
11-17-2011, 07:30 AM
Yes big "C" I free-handed it. I was a graphic artist for 5 years mostly SEC conference concession items and memorabilia and still do a little on the side. Some for truck drivers and certain functions. I am now possessed though to preparing for sailing away with my new love and haven't much time on my hands to do a lot with anything else..Like your galley:)

ebb
11-17-2011, 07:54 AM
Larry,
Like that mouthful of a word!
But no kidding, you've spruced the ole gal up and holding her to the dream!:cool:

I'm especially impressed with your appropriate and artful transom letteringm - and coloring.
Dislike block 'headline' non-serif names on sailboats.
Tricky names in newspaper type face belong on power boats and street signs,
not sexy gals like our A/Cs.

I'd be very interested in talking about your doing a job of work for Little Gull (aka litlgull).
I'll contact you on the PM here.
Interested?

larry
11-17-2011, 08:16 AM
Thanks Ebb and sure..yeah she is looking decent. I not going for perfect and I kind of like a little roughness. Heck if I wanted a new boat I would go buy one. I just need her sea-worthy equipped and comfy. Some buy a vessel work on for years trying to make 'em perfect and never hit the water or go broke, not me...I'm Bahama bound! Hey Ebb I'm like you on the lettering. Even landscapes and such everyone takes the easy route with squaring everything? What and how and I'll tell you what or if I can do. I'm afraid you'll have to catch me morn'-afternoon weekly before 2 central though because I have to work nights for the next couple weeks - weekends anytime.

larry
11-18-2011, 07:32 AM
Well as winter closes in I have to look for new things to do. And one on the list and probably none better in taking on is removing the paint off the bottom. This because it requires hard labor for me( because of my approach) and it makes it much more easier to put more time in. No worry of a heat stroke! The anti-foul on Anne's bottom side is old and flaking. I am scraping for the reason that I can feel and see any discrepancies in her soundness. I am using a dull knife and 5 "n"one scraper so if there is a soft spot I want to know it. Besides..no pain no gain, great exercise. HeHe.. It comes off fairly easy in spots anyway. I will sand what I can't scrape off.

Tony G
11-19-2011, 05:49 AM
Larry,

I've been away at work all week and WOW!-nice stuff!! I really like the transom art. I'd bet that it ends up tatooed on some one's body within a year. You're not afraid of color either and the galley counter will look right in place as you head to the Bahamas. The decks and top sides look great. They look ready!

Got one question though. Up in post #8 there is a short stub of what appears to be PVC poking through the riser of her bottom step, what is that? What does it do?

P.s. You might already have, but, make sure you check out Frank's and Craig/Rose/Peter dog's Bahama trip. Good reads.
AND THANKS FOR THE PHOTOS!!!!

larry
11-19-2011, 06:46 AM
Hi Tony,
Glad you sailed by! Thanks for appreciating as I really do enjoy every minute I spend on my girl. Wish I would have done it sooner, I have a bad itch I have to scratch.
That PVC pipe is attached to the valve opening for the water intake to my Atomic 4. Push and pull to open and close...quite handy. The topside I have one coat and plan for another when it warms up again and I have a few things to do, like nicks and chips in the rub rail, replace some hardware on cockpit hatches, a grated floor with step up to companionway for the wife in cockpit and mount a 20Gal Alum. propane tank in the lazerette.
I have been reading quite of bit of material on the Bahamas and other Caribbean destinations lately but haven't came across those. Thanks for the tip I will check them out. I plan to do a some of videos when I get out there as I have found a few on the net but most good ones are on pay sites.
This coming year I plan to get her in the water here at Lake Guntersville, which is linked to the Tennessee River and get all the bugs worked out. I have to get used to handling The Anne Bonny as well. I'm getting my finances in order right now for long hauls, working a lot. Then I should be on my way south! I can sail from Guntersville to the Gulf of Mobile. Again thanks Tony have a great day off!

My next home WILL have a keel!

larry
11-21-2011, 06:31 AM
My anchor is a Danforth deepset II I'm quite sure. It was pretty rusty so I sand blasted it and I electro-statically powder coated it at work. I put 6 mills on it. It still is potted but I didn't want to take away any more metal (weight) of of it. I wonder what the original anchor was? Never seen a pic of the original, or is this it? Anyway here is a pic of what I have:

larry
11-23-2011, 08:24 AM
Here is my Ariel's drawing showing dimensions. It was left in the boat unprotected but I rescued it with others and doctored them up a bit.This is one I cut for closer view. I thought it maybe helpful or interesting to someone else.:cool:

ebb
11-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Looks like a good quality anchor. Weight is good for anchoring.

There is a small copy of that Ariel drawing in the Ariel/Commander Manual.
What you have is worth preserving.
There are other views of the boat and a wealth of drawings, numbers, tips and info in the Manual.
Think you can still purchase a copy, if so inclined!

larry
11-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Yes I think the anchor will do fine. I need another one for softer bottoms (any suggestions?) and also I've been looking for a used manual windlass, a bargain with little luck. Ebb those are full size drawings I snapped with my camera..they're dated 1980. Thought it was cool to have found them. I do have a manual of the atomic 4 I downloaded and am going to get the manual on the boat ASAP. I really would like to have it.

larry
12-24-2011, 05:11 AM
Here is a poem I wrote. I think it expresses some of the sentiment towards my Ariel and the real desire I have for sailing. Hope you enjoy.

ebb
12-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Hey larry,
Can read yer stuff and imagine a concertina
and a fiddle - and a bodhran keeping the beat -
just to hear your pome in song.

Soft or loud, fast or slow, how would you tap your toes?
Thanks for sharing.
Have to get the background a little more Bonny!

larry
03-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Thank you Ebb! I write a little poetry, play guitar. Ebb, guys and gals, I have been busy, they are working me lots of hours. I finally got a chance to do a little on my girl. I did do a little detailing and final touches on the topside. I also peeled off the old insulation inside around the word work and I'm starting to put in my own homemade trim work. I'll let you see some of that later. Also designing a cockpit step and storage box built for my companion way doors to store away but be right at hand. It just has been raining here quite a bit more than usual so between the job and raining I haven't got to do much, just a couple hours here and there. I'm posting a few pics. I don't want you all to think I have abandoned ship!..Love my Ariel:o

Tony G
03-11-2012, 11:59 AM
She's looking good, Larry. I see it's already warm enough down your way for a frosty one in the cockpit. We still have to live vicariously through you up here in the north reaches.

I noticed the wood "box" in the aft, port corner of Anne's footwell. what is that?

larry
03-11-2012, 06:33 PM
Hi Tony and thanks I have been able to do a little around the rain. Yeah a little brew and painting seem to make for a better experience for me. I cut all the lines with just a brush and rolled and tipped the large areas. All I like is a little clean up and a clear coat on topside. Hope you will get some warmer air soon.
I myself had a little set back. I broke my leg and was down for three months on crutches. Fractured my tibia and tore two ligaments in my knee at work when a scaffold came undone and shifted. Funny how you can get messed up at low heights like that. No time for adjustment I guess. I'm good now and luckily never missed a day by grabbing a desk job at night for awhile but you know that was rough for me 'cause I'm not the type to sit around.
Hey Tony that is the gas bottle for the stove. Cute ain't it? I was actually going to try and tackle that the next week or so the Lord willing. I plan to run the pipe into the lazerette and put a mount for a larger bottle inside it with new regulator. That little bottle won't suffice for my needs. I can use the existing holes for a mount. I have noticed some hang an extra off the stern made of aluminum? I myself wouldn't want to tote that much gas around with me.
I don't know how much the little bottle there holds Tony but it can't be much. I was thinking maybe 3-4lbs.