PDA

View Full Version : Ariel 130 "Absolutly"

ariel130
08-10-2011, 09:41 AM
New to sailing, took one lesson, alot of videos and reading. i found a boat at a boatyard in need of attention. im not much of a typer so ill try to keep things simple.

ariel130
08-10-2011, 09:48 AM
had to make some temporary rudder repairs. epoxy and stainless steel. ill build a new one from scratch this winter.

ariel130
08-10-2011, 09:51 AM
loading her up for the long ride home. 80 miles at 30mph

ariel130
08-10-2011, 09:53 AM
after a long weekend of buffing and doing final prep it was time to see if she floats. We thought the boat was white till we got the buffer out. ended up being a beautiful light grey.

ariel130
08-10-2011, 09:56 AM
been in the water for three weeks and no water coming in or major issues.

ariel130
08-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Her new home after 4 years of being ignored.

Chance
08-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Welcome aboard Ariel 130. Your name is??

She looks great, and it's so nice to see her in the water and you're ability to make quick and efficient repairs needed to get her so.

Where in N.Y. is she located? I was stationed in Syracuse for three years a while back and all my in-laws live in Richfield Springs, NY (over by Cooperstown, as I'm sure your aware).

There is some great lakes to sail in Up state. A couple of years ago I visited Fair Haven (Little Sodus Bay), Oswego, Seneca Lake, and Canandaigua Lake, loved the area. There is a great fleet of Ensigns on Canandaigua (West side, yacht club).

Thanks for posting the great photos, keep us updated on your ventures, sailing, repairs, etc..

ariel130
08-10-2011, 10:40 AM
My name is Adam. For the rest of the season she is in Fair Haven. Possibly docked in Oswego next year. I love the Fair haven atmosphere but i live 3 blocks from the Oswego Marina.

ariel130
08-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Sanded down and refinished door and engine access panel with teak oil. They were dull grey and polly was flaking off. (forgot to take a pic of that.) I may leave them just teak oil and see how that holds up. Anyone have any luck with just using teak oil?

ariel130
08-10-2011, 04:04 PM
removed original damaged and stained cabin sole. looking for alternatives before i reinstall a new one. teak seems pricey. anyone ever use mahogany or even just oak as an alternative?

ebb
08-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Hey Adam,
Wecome aboard!!

Take a look around on our prodigious forums for other threads and posts on the
cabin sole.
Might find something that clicks. And you may get more specific asking and getting opinions.
There's a lot of ways to look at the choices. If the underlayment in your photo is in good shape after 40 years, you could reproduce the deck you removed and call a restoration. OR, put down a new plywood base and glue on 1/4" thick strips of mahogany and elm. And so on.
Honduras mahogany would be a good wood for a tradtional floor but some will say only teak is good for the sole.
You're not talking about much teak - and you may find it already milled to size. While HMahogany you will have to rip.
Don't remember any white strips in the stuff I removed. So you could create a great non-slip surface with a traditional rubber seam deck. H.mahogany would work just as well.....

You can buy teak and holly plywood with veneers that are laughable in strength and thickness.
Yet we put that in our cabins too.
H.Mahogany is a beautiful wood and would be perfect for the sole....but.....whatever blows yer skirt up, my girfriend always says.:D

Bill
08-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Please use the search function before asking questions. We've covered just about everything already! Unfortunately, the search function on the board is no Google, so be patient.

Chance
08-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Adam,

Welcome! So your in Fair Haven, eh? I really liked that area, though I don't think I could survive the winters. Your oiled wood looks good, but if I'm not mistaken, Pearson did not use "teak" on our external wood, it is mahogany, much of what I have seen is of the African species. Some folks that have renewed / replaced the exterior wood have used Sepele, Honduras (aka genuine) mahogany and teak.

Unless your wood was replaced with in fact "Teak", than just oiling it will not give it the protection it needs to endure the elements and the UV exposure. Mahogany needs a film protection. Oil will not cut it. Sure it will look good for a very, very short while but....it needs a coating that has a specific UV inhibitor in it. There are lots of good choices, by Epiphanes, Petit, Interlux and the list goes on. Choose one and of course the sheen you desire, and spend the winter enjoying the process in the warmth of your home. Okay, maybe the smell might get to you, so have adequate ventilation.

As for cabin soles, about every wood has been used. If you go for a solid, vice ply version, be sure to account for expansion and contraction (depending on the thickness, and use vertical grain, AKA quarter sawn). You'll find all you want to know by researching more of this exact topic on this forum.

I'll be doing the same on Ceili, my Commander. I'll post photos as that project nearers, but I can tell you that I have decided and purchased solid burmese teak to redo the cabin sole. Pricey yes. Elegant yes. How will I finish it, don't know yet.