PDA

View Full Version : Stewardship of Hull A-107

GreggA107
06-08-2011, 07:23 AM
Hello guys,

New Member and new post here. I tried this posting once before, when I clicked on Submit New Thread, I was asked to log in again so I don't know if the original post went through or not.

Here's a brief run down on me: Been around fiberglass power boats all my life, father insisted we took Power Squadron course while we were teens but my dad covered most of that curriculum before we ever cracked a book, only two of his four sons developed a love for boats. Always wanted a sailboat but life kept getting in the way, now I got one and cleaning is chore one.

Here's a brief run down on the boat: Built in 1963, She was one time registered with the site as being in Kentucky and her name at that time was "Hunky Dory" or so I'm told.

Exterior pictures attached.

GreggA107
06-08-2011, 07:34 AM
Also want to add that she's located at McCotters Marina in Washington, NC which is about approximately 120 miles from my work in Raleigh. Attached is a few interior shots (where she needs the most work).

GreggA107
06-08-2011, 10:00 AM
One picture I forgot to post! Had a closeup of the number plate, can't find it.

Commander 147
06-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Gregg

Welcome aboard the forum. Looks like your Ariel is pretty typical for many of the boats that are not getting regular use. She will be happy to have someone use her and care for her again. Keep us posted on your progress and voyages with her.

GreggA107
06-08-2011, 12:34 PM
not knowing a whole lot about sailboats, I want to make sure the thru hull fittings are sealed and some cosmetic work performed, rigging and spars in good order but my main goal is get her soaking in the water and out of her berth. Boats weren't made to stay on land.

it seems so many others want their vessel in pristine condition before putting good use to the vessel, I'll worry about that when it's flat calm or too ugly to go out.

I want to learn.

mbd
06-08-2011, 12:41 PM
That's the spirit! Fix the safety things, then get out and sail. Welcome aboard!

GreggA107
06-08-2011, 01:02 PM
I thought there was only one of these on each Ariel but apparently there is two because I found two Pearson Ariel logos in the cubby. they appear to both be broken at one of the mounting screw holes but I will mount them if able. ;)

I know one goes below the hatchway in the cabin but I'm not sure about the second one.

carl291
06-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Welcome , Here's the picture of Hunky Dory I saved. It may still be here somewhere I think the Pearson Ariel scripts were originally located on the coamings ,one on each side towards the front.

GreggA107
06-14-2011, 03:21 PM
If Hull # 107 was actually named Hunky Dory as detailed in the records, she sported a different color scheme and was BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!

carl291
06-14-2011, 07:17 PM
It sure is, I believe this picture was taken on the Ohio river! You can actually read "Hunky Dory" on the stern.

GreggA107
06-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Hey Guys, gotta make a correction :(
Hunky Dory was/is Hull # 7 NOT my Hull # 107. I found a way into the pearsonariel.org archive and found the following post.
http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/showthread.php?2026-Ariel-7-Hunky-Dory
Either the link above has a typo or it's #7 not # 107.

Bill
06-24-2011, 08:44 PM
The ACYA registry has A-007 HUNKY DORY registered in KY to a Pat Corrico. Only reference to A-107 are your postings (still awaiting registration information). We may have given you miss information on names (never!). :)

GreggA107
06-24-2011, 09:41 PM
It's all good, last time I checked, we're all humans and make mistakes, God knows I have made my share and several others shares today too!!!!!!

GreggA107
07-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Can any of you guys that's been around the scene for a long time look at the pics I took of my marine toilet and tell me a brand name and model of it? Wish I had taken a pic of the whole thing but all i got is the valving and piping in the back.

Ariel 109
07-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Think you have a Raritan PHC marine head on your nice looking boat. I have the same throne on my Ariel.

http://www.raritaneng.com/products/toilets/manual/phc.html

GreggA107
07-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Yep! That's what I thought, that's the manual I downloaded. Thanks for the confirmation.

Chance
08-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Gregg,
So what have you been up to? A couple of weeks ago, I visitied McCotters Marina again and saw your Ariel still there. I was hoping you might have been there working on her.
I walked the docks and met a fellow (Branch) with a beautiful Cape Dory 25D. I like Little Washington and try to make it down there a couple times a summer.

GreggA107
08-13-2011, 04:32 AM
Hey Chance, I am able to come to the Marina every other weekend, (I get paid every other weekend and manage to overspend each time). Sorry I missed you. As I am sure you know, when you decide on making a repair, you look at it and say, oh that's going to take around 2 hours or that's going to take around 4 hours and it ALWAYS takes exponentially longer! So far, I've not gotten much accomplished. I've started snatching out old wiring, I've cleaned up alot although I can't tell it when I get back to her after a 2 week vacation from her HA!!!! I've replaced the hose on both sides of the manual bilge pump, removed the electric bilge pump and checked it, still works but have to replace the discharge line to it. I've removed all the trim and carried it home (the PO painted part of the cabin white while leaving the trim on therefore some of the trim has white paint all over it and needs to be redone anyway) and have started sanding down alot of it. Two weekends ago, the holding tank for the head was full so I removed it from the head and capped it and carried it down to the pumping station and dumped it (I've not used the head so I have no idea it's been like that). Last night I made a screen for the companionway hatch (mosquitoes around here are horrendous) and just tied screen around the v-berth hatch until I can get some framing for it.

So here I sit, coffee made (and currently drinking a cup) contemplating when I'm going to start waking everybody up here with the electric sander. On this weekend's agenda, sanding and working on the seacocks to get them operational and anything else that side tracks me.

Chance
08-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Hello Gregg,
Thanks for the update. Have you thought about just doing away with the regular head, holding tank and associated plumbing and go for simplicity and a little porta pottie? Speaking of which, where was the holding tank located anyways? I know the potable water tank in under the vee birth. As far as I'm aware Pearson did not put in a CHT (Collection Holding Tanks) for black water (sewage), that was done by some previous owner of your Ariel. They did put in heads, but it was for direct overboard discharge, which we know now, is illegal, unless of course your more than 3 NM off shore.
So do you sleep on the boat when you come work on her? How far away is your home to McCotters? Where do you plan to keep her berthed at?
Oh, how I know exactly what your talking about when you say projects grow in scope, time and the all consuming dollar. I'm on my third year of stewardship with Ceili and have yet to splash her.

GreggA107
08-14-2011, 06:15 PM
You are exactly right! The original head had two hoses, one from the sea and one to the sea, a plastic tri-valve was installed on the bulkhead behind the toilet and discharge from the toilet went to one of the fittings on that valve to feed, one fitting went to the sea and the other was to a portable holding tank that was supposed to fit around 1/2 of the toilet to comply with discharge regulations.

I was trying to get this vessel on the water as soon as possible meaning conserving as much money as possible and finish out in between using it but your suggestion is now one of importance. The plastic knob on the toilet that opens and closes for pumping is broken off and that valve can no longer be operated. Either a toilet valve rebuild kit (including broken part if I could find such kit) or head replacement or porta-pottie or airhead. Now I have to consider this option like I had not planned on originally (or just not carry women on the vessel for a while HA!)

mbd
08-15-2011, 06:06 AM
Just unbolt that sucker and put in a porta-potti. A porta-potti is great for day sails and weekends. I think that's your quickest and cheapest path to getting your baby back in the water.

GreggA107
08-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Thanx Mike,
I'll probably be using that suggestion!

GreggA107
08-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Well, I don't know about where you guys Ariels and Commanders are moored but where mine sits up, mosquitoes have become a major issue. While attempting to work, I had to stop what I was doing and go to walmart and work on screening.

I got some nylon screen and a framing kit and pics are posted, not bad looking if I must say so myself!7744

The hatch in the v-berth, I just cut some screen and secured around the base with a bunji cord. 7745

Removed the head, hoses and holding tank, so I can sand that area and while I was at it, removed the hose fittings from the seacocks and the seacock feeding the head is secure and tight, it won't budge using penetrating oil and hammer taps, the discharge seacock is somewhat open to the sea, penatrating oil can be seen running down the through-hull and down the keel which is what I was afraid of and it won't budge either. Neither seacock has nuts and bolts so apparently they unscrew from the through-hull (which is a two man job). I found out the through-hull draining the cockpit floor and the sink does not have a seacock, it's open to the sea.

GreggA107
08-22-2011, 01:38 PM
If you look at the right side of the valve in the discharge seacock, you can see where the valve is slightly open allowing flow7746

This one is the intake and is almost as good as sealed.7747

After removing the hoses, I figured out how this worked so far as discharge to the sea or discharge to the holding tank.7749

It appears to me (I don't have the Ariel manual yet) that the thru-hull the cockpit drains and sink attach to has no valve so it's open to the sea? It appears to be glassed, not a very good shot here....7750

GreggA107
08-30-2011, 11:26 AM
I hate work :( I guess if I loved it, I wouldn't call it work but it's keeping me from finding out what I need to know.

ebb
08-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Gregg, not exactly sure what it is you have here,
but if any underwater fitting fails the boat will sink.
I would upgrade to better than standard practice.
There is a SEACOCK thread in the forums here that might help
with planning your next step.

I have a well known prejudice against valves connected solely to a thru-hull. Dangerous.
If you are a metal seacock kind of owner then Groco may have the answer for you.
Pearson no valve thru hull cockpit drains should be changed immediately.
Some owners have posted here great photos of gorgeous jobs of upgraded drain systems.

GreggA107
08-30-2011, 01:08 PM
I can't agree with you more ebb, I cannot believe someone would head for blue water with an open through hull to the sink and cock pit drains (can you imagine hearing water gurgling in the sink while heeled over port?), but apparently they made it through because the boat's on dry land (or was before the hurricane). The through hull fitting I'm worried about most is the discharge port for the head since it's partially open, the hose connected to the through hull that was connected to the sink is plugged with a wooden bung at this time. During the hurricane (according to one of the local papers found online) many sail craft were lifted off their stands and sat back down again (I am sure not back on the stands) and so if it floated, i am sure it didn't sink (or sink far). Where my craft sat, in order for it to get to the Broad Creek free floating, it would have had to pass under a powerline (which is not tall enough for the mast) unless that line is down. You might can see the power line through the trees in the picture below but that picture was taken before the hurricane.7767

GreggA107
09-07-2011, 05:33 AM
Well guys, quick update.
Went by the Marina Saturday night, it was a busy Labor Day weekend for my family and that was the only time I could fit the trip in, and there were more vessels in the boat yard than I could fathom. There was one clear spot and that's where my Ariel was supposed to be... it was dark, I was in someone else's car and we had no flashlight and there was a hole in the yard. She had been moved but she was there, inspection inside the cabin interior revealed bone dry conditions which I didn't expect due to the partially opened seacock, apparently if she floated, little water entered that port. I was EXTREMELY lucky. She was sitting under 2 dozen pine trees.

ebb
09-07-2011, 06:59 AM
I believe most owners will say that Ariel/Commanders have a rep for being lucky boats.
Of course that may be because A/Cs attract lucky owners!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____
Question everything. Every stripe, every star, every spoken word. Everything.
Ernest Gaines
[Every hole in a boat:rolleyes:]