PDA

View Full Version : Crew Wanted

maikelc
01-23-2011, 09:20 AM
I am looking for someone to join me on a sailing trip aboard my Pearson Ariel to the western Caribbean and wonder if you would be interested or, if not, know of anyone else who might be.
The best time for the voyage is late April, early may.
There are two ways to go: one via the Bahamas and through the Windward passage to Jamaica, then across the Caribbean sea to the Gulf of Honduras [Islas de la Bahia].
The other around the west end of Cuba, across to the Cayman islands and on to Honduras.
It will be cruising in the Bahamas with my partner Madeline in march and early April so one option would be to join the boat in the Bahamas [Georgetown or Nassau]. From Acklins or Great Inagua] we would sail down through the Windward Passage to Jamaica [300 miles]. From Jamaica we could sail directly to the gulf of Honduras [450 miles] or go via the Cayman islands [100 mile further but in three hops.
The other possibility is to leave from Key West to Cuba [100 miles], west along the north coast, around cape San Antonio to Isla de la Juventud and the archipelago de Canarreos, and then across to the Cayman islands [150 miles].
Either way it's about 1200 miles. Both routes involve open water passages of one to five days. On passages I envisage sailing nonstop, sails reefed at night, 3-4 hour watches.
The Bahamas route entails more blue water sailing and, depending on the weather, would take about a month. The Cuba route means more coastal cruising but would take longer-4-6 weeks, more if we wanted to go at a leisurely pace and explore. I prefer the latter but either is good. I plan to leave the boat down there over the summer and make the return journey next year.

The Boat: Loiuse Michel a 1963 Pearson Ariel

It's a small boat that I have deliberately kept simple: if it can't be fixed, there's a back up unit. Since I bought it in spring 2009 I have set it up for extended cruising and have all the essential gear. Although old it is a solid, seaworthy little boat.
I replaced the main and bought a new outboard [Tohatsu 6HP with pull start] in 2009. There is a roller furling jib in good condition. The boat has a 80 watt solar panel and new batteries; tiller pilot; GPS [2] and VHF radio [2]; paper charts and a laptop with nav program.
Ground tackle is more than adequate, consisting of a Manson supreme, a fortress and two deltas with heavy chain and rode line.
Can carry 30 gallons of water and fuel for 250 miles motoring.

The Skipper: Maikel Carder

I have been sailing my own boats, either alone or with crew, for over twenty years. Most of this was extended coastal cruising in the pacific northwest, including a six week circumnavigation of Vancouver island. Four years ago I crossed the Atlantic as crew on a 40' catamaran.
In this boat I have cruised for two summers in southern New England and last fall came down the coast – mostly on the ICW, but with several offshore hops.
I am 69, in good health, don't smoke, and don't drink while underway. I grew up in England, have been a knife maker for thirty years, semi retired, and am in a committed LTR. I am a good cook. Don't have a facebook profile but if you google my name and/or stone soup knives you will find more details.
PS I don't know where all the size four came from, I'm a ten. Or how to fix it. Sorry if it makes it hard to read.

Ariel 109
01-24-2011, 01:14 PM
I think that sailing with you during this next part of your journey would be such a great adventure. I wish I was free to run off and go with you. I'll start asking my friends if they know anybody who would be interested in crewing your voyage.

I've really enjoyed all of your postings about your trip. Sailing in the warm Caribbean certainly beats a frigid New York City winter anytime.

Ben