PDA

View Full Version : Commander Pete's Turnbuckles... what goes around comes around....

c_amos
09-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Something like 6 years ago, I bent a turnbuckle in a bad docking.

I priced replacements, but really like the W/C bronze that I have. I mentioned it on the PearsonAriel.org site and COmmander Pete sent me a package in the mail the next week.

Not the one I had asked for, but all 8 of his old (OEM) W/C turnbuckles. I tested them all with the ATF trick, and they were all good. I replaced the one I had bent, and I packed the rest of them in grease and gave them a corner of the settee.

I shared one with a Sailor in Spanish Wells, Eleuthera... the other 6 were still in the settee today. I had to stop at West marine for some paint... and the guy in front of me is asking the clerk about the turnbuckles.... I could see he had a w/c 3/8" bronze one just like mine.

I interjected myself into the clerk's attempts to sell him the new stainless (over $100 buck!) turnbuckle. He did not like it since it did not match the rest of his boat......

I had him follow me back to the boat. He has a 'Snapdragon' named 'puff'. He is getting ready to do the great loop in this classic bilge keel 26' Sailboat. I gave him one complete turnbuckle, and made a spare from his good parts and the bad parts of the one I had originally bent.

Somewhere out there, your turnbuckle is holding up a forestay... and will sail the great loop! Thanks!

Of course, he tried to pay for it.... the cost was to 'pass it on'.

He may well register here, I hope so. If nothing else, I was able to share something I received.

Commander Pete! Thanks for the loan!