PDA

View Full Version : Ariel Yawl ?

Mike Goodwin
10-13-2001, 08:50 AM
I know this may be blasphemous to some ,
but I have been giving long study to transforming #45 to a yawl ie. the Triton .
I am ready to split the backstay and it is really a very simple modification to add maststep , move mainsheet forward 3" .
I have the 16' mast and boom .

Anyone out there as crazy as me and will admit considering such a thing ?
It would make light air sailing on Chesbay a lot more fun .

Mike

bkeegel2
10-15-2001, 01:18 PM
Will you need to add a support spar sticking out the back of the boat to stay the mizzen and to attach the sheet? Can the transom support the additional load of the mizzen mast? You obviously know a great deal about boat construction.

BTW--You've done a great job on <i>Spirit</i>. I've got to post a few of my pics from the restoration (paint job) of <i>Lucky Break</i>. Did you move the bow rail to the top of the cabin?

Mike Goodwin
10-15-2001, 02:29 PM
The mizzen will sit in front of the lazzarette hatch at the end of the cocpit and be sheeted to the Stern rail or transom.
It wont need stays , just shrouds , we are talking very small sail , 14' luff and 6' foot . After shrouds will go to corners of transom where new backstays are attached .
It will only be used in close reaching and below & to set a mizzen staysail or spinaker .
Sheeted in hard at anchor , you have a riding sail .

Bill
10-16-2001, 11:46 AM
Pearson produced one or two Yawls, but only in the Commander. Bob Lincoln in Michigan has one and a photo of it appeared in the newsletter awhile back. No phone or E-mail address for Bob, but you could write and ask for details:

Bob Lincoln
13219 N Seymour Rd
Montrose, MI 48457

Mike Goodwin
10-16-2001, 01:58 PM
Thanks Bill , I'll do that .
Also,
What is the schedule for the newsletter publication ?

Mike

By Golly
10-27-2001, 02:24 PM
You go girl. Err, ah, let her go. That will be great and provide you smoother sailing in more varied weather. Great sailing ahead. By :)

Mike Goodwin
10-28-2001, 06:50 PM
I sailed a 22' yawl for 15 years , the mizzen is not in the way of anything and offers more benefits than just sail area , such as accessable antenna mounting , etc .

But mostly I just like the looks of yawls best , schooners 2nd , cutters 3rd , ketches and sloops are tied for last place visually .

You can sail with 2 spinakers at one time on a yawl, or mizzen staysail and spinaker combo .
I like all the options offered with the yawl in combination with the 190 or asymetrical chute .

Did you ever see the old Luters Naval Accademy yawls sailing out on the bay ?