PDA

View Full Version : Antique Ariel Accessories: Neptune WC1 Outboard

Hull376
08-08-2010, 12:26 PM
When my dad bought our Ariel from the first owner in 1972, it came with a small inflatable and a Muncie Gear Works Neptune Mighty Mite 1.7 HP outboard. It weighs 17 pounds and has forward gear and faster forward, but no neutral and no reverse. The previous owner used it quite extensively to cruise into various islands in Western Lake Erie when anchoring out. I used it only one time when I was 18, and it hasn't been used since. I was cleaning out the garage and found it covered in dust in a corner. I cleaned it up, replaced the plug, soaked the carb, and sprayed some new paint on it. It started up after adjusting the points and replacing the old spark plug cable. Its a cool motor. Kind of like a chainsaw hooked to a propeller. The exposed flywheel is a neat (and unsafe by today's standards) touch. I ordered a Nova II electronic chip for $15 to replace the points and condenser, as the condenser is failing and can't get a new one. Was fun to learn about old magneto ignition and the Tillotson carb.

Commander 147
08-08-2010, 01:42 PM
That thing is probably worth more now than it was brand new. :-) Especially since it runs.

Very cool, thanks for posting.

Hull376
08-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Quick update. Got my hands on the very small transisterized ignition chip which replaces points and condenser. First try didn't work. Turns out this motor has a reverse polarity magnet in the flywheel. No bother, changed the leads around and---- starts right up and the motor runs waaaaay smoooooth. Even at low rpms. No backfires, no missing. Wow. New technology on a motor made in the late 60s from a basically unchanged design from the 1940s. Cool.:cool:

Rico
08-09-2010, 08:30 PM
What a beauty! I went into a shop a while back whose owner collected small antique outboards... (I do not even know what he sold int he shop...) I drooled all over the place. These were beyond new... They all had nicely chromed bits and beautiful paint jobs and restored badges and lables. Yours looks beautifully clean. The fact that it runs and has always been in the family is outstanding!