PDA

View Full Version : Event Announcement: Alberg Design Fleet of San Francisco Breakfast Meeting, 11 July

ebb
06-19-2010, 07:11 AM
2010, Sunday. Pier 15 Restaurant, San Rafael

"The reason for the northward change of breakfast meeting venue is that after the meeting, we will be walking over to check out member Ebb Borregaard's beautiful project Ariel (about a block from the restaurant). Ebb has been working on a full restoration/remodel of his boat for a number of years and the quality of his design and workmanship is truly top-notch. His Ariel is on the hard and an absolutely beautiful example of a meticulously thought out Alberg design, updated for modern single-handed sailing and cruising comfort.

These monthly meetings are a great place to meet other "Plastic Classic" owners and are open to any Alberg-design boat owners and any current or prospective club members.

You are invited to join us - the breakfast meetings are casual and the old boat conversation is always lively (at least after the first cup of coffee!).

More information and online registration: Alberg Design Fleet of San Francisco Breakfast Meeting
Best Regaards,
Alberg Design Fleet of San Francisco Bay"

Thus I have repeated the email received.
I have been remiss of course in producing speedy results on the project because of employment obligations and other excuses. But if you have an Ariel or other Alberg there is SOMETHING to see. AND the guys and gals I've been having breakfast with once a month in Berkeley are some great people to meet.
All are avid sailors.
Pier 15 in San Rafael is a popular venue so I have reserved. Sunday July 11, 9AM.

Plenty of parking may be best found at the San Rafael Yacht Harbor, one block north of Pier 15 at 557 Francisco Blvd East. Large sign board says Harbor Center. Between a canvas shop and a rugatorium. It's an easy amble to the bar/restaurant and/or back again.

google> San Rafael Yacht Harbor < for a map.
Francisco Blvd E parallels the freeway. If you are arriving via the Richmond Bridge, keep on toward San Rafael, take the first off ramp which probably says "Bellam Av" There is huge road construction here. You will stop at Bellam, make a VERY SHORT right turn (aim for the farthest lane) then a left turn on to Francisco East. This is SanRafael's auto-row. Continue north to "City Carpets". Turn right, go in a little ways to park.
After parking, walk back out to Francisco Blvd, turning left, south, one short block, left on Harbor St. to Pier 15. But it is Sunday morning, so you might find parking at the restaurant!

If you're coming from SanFrancisco/Marin, when you get to San Rafael take the Bellam Rd off ramp. which I believe is still open despite the highway construction. Turn left to go under the freeway, turn left on to Francisco E - watch it! there is also a left lane to get back on the freeway going north!

c_amos
06-19-2010, 09:49 AM
:cool:

Outstanding! I just bought a ticket to fly out on the 8th! I hope to be able to make it!

c_amos
07-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Ebb,

I have flown out, (wanted to be here a week early to ensure I make it). :cool:

I am wondering if you could be so kind as to include the time of this event?

ebb
07-04-2010, 08:58 AM
Craig, YOU'RE RIGHT! No mention of the time!
Probably screwed up on the directions as well!
Amazing. Be great to meet you!

c_amos
07-11-2010, 12:34 AM
Just a 'bump' for a reminder.

Hope to see everyone there.

ebb
07-11-2010, 06:21 AM
Here's your chance to meet famous voyaging East Coast Ariel Captain Craig Amos in San Rafael!:cool:

If you don't want breakfast, meet at the boat. 10 AM? Huge parking lot. adjoining the "marina"
Lit'lgull is on the hard under the small gray plastic tent with the white end flap down - on the other side of the fence.
Next to a nice little Monk woody.

Rico
07-11-2010, 10:21 AM
I will unfortunately miss this one - We are hosting a few people for the world cup final. Hup! Holland Hup! This is precedded by the British Grand-Prix. I have a policy of NOT watching sports on TV, but I do have a weakness for Formula 1 and the World Cup...

Craig, Sorry we missed you out on raccoon straights yesterday for the Hoppe Regatta - We were a few hundred yards from the Corinthinan YV right by the CG helo conducting its rescue drills right on top of our starting marker...

c_amos
07-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Rico,

I am sorry that I missed you... next time I will read the email more carefully. :)

c_amos
07-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Ebb,

Thanks for posting this, and for hosting the meeting today. I sure enjoyed meeting you, and seeing your amazing work! Can not wait to read the trip reports as you splash that fine ship... you certainly will be traveling in style!

I hope that anyone who has the opportunity to attend these gatherings (SF Alberg association) will take advantage of that. What a great group! Very knowledgeable, and just a pleasant gathering... much like this forum, but with food. :)

I appreciated the group so much that I took advantage of the opportunity, and joined the association. Hopefully Faith will have two new burgees to sport when she is at 'dress ship'.

Thanks to all who attended and participated, it was very nice to meet you all.

mbd
07-12-2010, 07:11 AM
Craig, I don't suppose you brought a camera to take some elusive photos of Little Gull? You know how those left coast members don't seem to own digital cameras - excepting Rico, of course, whose spreads are always appreciated!

c_amos
07-12-2010, 08:25 AM
Craig, I don't suppose you brought a camera to take some elusive photos of Little Gull? You know how those left coast members don't seem to own digital cameras - excepting Rico, of course, whose spreads are always appreciated!

I did indeed. I will endeavor to sort through them. I have to say though, the quality of work and detail I saw has not come through on other pictures. The hull is so fair, it looks more like something Hinckley might have produced then Pearson... it is flawless to my eye. Other details like the chainplates... I will go on in Ebb's thread later.

Tim D.
07-14-2010, 06:46 PM
I did indeed. I will endeavor to sort through them. I have to say though, the quality of work and detail I saw has not come through on other pictures. The hull is so fair, it looks more like something Hinckley might have produced then Pearson... it is flawless to my eye. Other details like the chainplates... I will go on in Ebb's thread later.
Looking forward to them, having seen Litlgull in person, I know exactly what you mean. I am so sorry I am so far away and missed it.

ebb
07-16-2010, 08:21 AM
To bring this full circle: Some 12 of us pushed tables together at Pier 15 for Sunday breakfast including a delightful young lady named Harper. Ben Wells came by, our local author/circumnavigator, along with Mike, Rob, Mark, Steve, Michael, John.
Craig Amos (Faith) from Pensacola, representing the Eastern Seaboard had his hand shaken a bunch. And we all round-the-table shared stories or our exploits and deploits.
We got loud because other tables on the restaurant deck turned heads to look at us.

Boat tour went well I think even though the captain was unable to get important projects completed as hoped.
But got the tools collected into their bags and a couple dozen open boxes of materials cleared off the decks and the boat vacuumed top and bottom. The furniture-quilts that protect the topsides removed and the wooden toerail scraped of old blue tape. Hadn't seen them for awhile!
Myriad of TODOs revealed and defined again.

Thanks to EVERYBODY and the AASF guys who made it happen!

(The Club has/will have a new burgee. It'll be a Capital A with a horizontal extension off the leg to the right side with smaller caps SF over the extension. Thus: Alberg Association of San Fracisco Bay.
Not sure of the color of the letters on the white ground.)