PDA

View Full Version : roller furling

Lou,com4
06-17-2010, 07:19 PM
I am looking to install a roller furled genny on my Commander this summer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, would be interested in buying same if anyone is selling a good unit.
Thanks! Lou,com4

mbd
06-18-2010, 06:20 AM
Hi Lou, I think a 135 headsail on a furler is a pretty good fit for our sailing up here. I had a CDI Roller furler on my previous boat - it worked OK for a smaller boat, but if I ever get back around to it, I'll be looking at other brands.

silverpaul
06-18-2010, 08:26 PM
Kay Marie (A#400) has an Alado furler. I am not sure of the model - I guess the second size that costs $780.00, I can try and figure it out this weekend. It works well for the price and I like that it has twin integral halyard sheaves with no swivels. Here's the web site: http://www.aladous.com/index.htm

jshisha
06-20-2010, 07:11 AM
I have heard good things about CDI furler I bought I believe the F4 size for my Commander but have not installed it. Has anyone had any problmes with the CDI is it a bad choice I can still return mine.

Thnaks

mbd
06-20-2010, 07:36 AM
I don't mean to "dis" the CDI furlers. Mine from about 10 years ago never failed me. My "complaint" however, is that is wasn't the smoothest to operate. I also have no experience with other furlers either, so perhaps that is just the way they work too... I DO miss having one. :)

jshisha
06-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Did you have the roller bearing option in your CDI furler I bought it

c_amos
06-21-2010, 10:31 PM
I have had a bit of trouble with my Profurl, but all things considered I would not trade it for hank on sails.

Nice when cruising to approach a bridge, furl the sail most of the way, heave too on a scrap of jib, then put the rudder over, spin around, let the drum unwind, and sail under the bridge as it opens.... :)

Also nice to USE the sail on those short stretches when you are motoring and the wind fills in.... something satisfying about grabbing that little bit of wind when and where you find it. (IMHO)

mbd
06-22-2010, 06:48 AM
Did you have the roller bearing option in your CDI furler I bought it

Mine was for a 22 foot boat - maybe it didn't have the bearing option?