PDA

View Full Version : Hand Bearing Compass

noeta-112
08-03-2002, 03:54 AM
All you racers and navigators,

Any of you have hand bearing compasses? Pros & cons of available types would be appreciated. Ease of use, etc.

I'd sure like to get to eyeball one before buying but don't have the time for a 200 mile round trip to see only 1 or possibly 2 types.

I know this will be a subjective issue but would appreciate your experiences with whatever types you may have used.

Thanks Guys

Mike Goodwin
08-03-2002, 04:56 AM
I'm a compass and chart nut , been collecting them for years .
I would say buy a name brand , like Richie or Kelvin White , not knowing what you are considering or what use you will put it to .
A cheap one will be just that , and end up living in a drawer . Watch how the card spins , if it is too fast and lively , skip it .
It should be lighted too .
Be ready to spend $100 or more unless it is used .

Mike Goodwin
08-03-2002, 05:13 AM
The Davis Instruments 215 is not bad at $40 from Defender Industries.

http://www.defender.com/cgi-bin/Web_store/web_store.cgi?cart_id=

There are others by Weems and Plath or Plastimo that can do the job , but the ergonomics involved make it a personal choice .

commanderpete
08-03-2002, 06:18 AM
I've got a cheap hand bearing compass and a crummy pair of binoculars.

I wonder if a pair of binoculars with built in compass would kill both birds.

Is the compass feature in the lower end (ca. $ 200) binoculars inferior?

noeta-112
08-03-2002, 07:09 AM
Mike & commanderpete,

Thanks for quick response.

I've wondered about the binnocular/compass combo.

I have sufficient credit with Cabela,s Catalog folks to get the Tasco offshore model for free (if they still carry it - hasn't been in catalog lately). I believe the compass is lighted - not sure of its accuracy or if it reads in single degrees, by 5's 10's or what. I like the idea of the combo but then again it would'nt be as handy or light as a smaller unit.

I'll try to get some info from Cabela's as to specifications.

Russ

Mike Goodwin
08-03-2002, 11:48 AM
I looked into the combo units & I think it was nearer $300+ for a good unit. Tasco did make one that was very nice , if I can catch my friend Eric I will look at his , I know it is top drawer gear .
It is the Tasco Offshore model 54 7x50 , usually on sale for $279.99 to $299.99 .
I have used them and found them to be excellant in all respects , if you can get them for free then I am jealous !

noeta-112
08-03-2002, 02:59 PM
Bad News, Cabela's had the OS 54 and it was in fact on sale a few months ago. Alas they now have only one OS 21 and they don't carry them any more. In fact they advised me that Tasco has gone out of business. It seems that they have been bought out by, "Bushnell"... (I think).

So now I will have to find someother type of marine equipment to spend my Cabela's points on.... maybe a depth finder or gps or...

Guess it's back to the handheld compass.

Anyhow thanks for the input!

Russ

noeta-112
08-03-2002, 03:14 PM
Mike or ..... ,

Have you ever seen or handled the Vion Mini-2000. Like a hockey puck and runs about $125.
To paraphrase:

The bearing appears to float in front of your eyeball.....

Say What ? Would it be right to assume that you hold the rig in front of you at about eye level whilst sighting over the top and the bearing appears on the glass face of a prism which has picked it off of the card below. I guess I'm trying to differentiate between actually peering through a hole to line up the compass with a ref. point or if it is more that the bearing is being projected on a surface that you read from arms length.

Anybody???

Bill
08-03-2002, 06:35 PM
Practical Sailor checks in this month (August 1, 2002 edition) with a review of hand bearing compasses!

Bottom line - they like the "hockey puck" style. In that group, fist place goes to the Nexus #80 @ $75. One of the least expensive.

Article is worth reading.

noeta-112
08-07-2002, 10:48 AM
Bill,

Found the article worth the read ... subscribed to "Practical Sailor" ...then ordered the M-80. Will try it out in the Roosevelt Challenge Cup race this Saturday. My first race in my first sailboat!

Weather forecast for the race is partly cloudy ... winds SW 15-20kt
possibly increase 20-25.

Now for a dodger...

and I'm thinking of carbon dating the sails
:D

Thanks for the info

Russ

Bill
08-07-2002, 11:21 AM
Carbon dating, now there's a concept I can use :p

noeta-112
08-08-2002, 09:38 AM
Just got my Nexus M-80 !!!

Mind you, I've not had any other handbearing compasses for a comparison ... but it's comfortable to hold and appears very stable. When going after a reciprocal bearing the dial swings past new bearing by about 6 to 8 deg and then settles back without swinging past it in the other direction.

It has both direct bearing and reciprocal scales. Direct are bold and vertical while reciprocal are normal and slanted (like italics).

So ... not confusing at all. Red led illumination in the dark by pressing easily found button lump on top of case. Compass scale receives its normal light through a diffusing lens hole in the bottom of case. (where's that white deck paint?) The case is rectangular in shape and is easily held one handed without the hand blocking any light ... or two handed .... (oh and it floats!!!
{Commanderpete says, "Makin sure of the brochure!"} as he inadvertantly slings it overboard while grabbing for a beer headed to Davy Jone's locker as the result of a surprise jibe...)
:D

Bill
08-08-2002, 10:38 AM
It sounds like I need (want?) one of those . . .

Mike Goodwin
08-08-2002, 02:58 PM
Sounds good !
West marine in my area says they can still get Tasco products & hadn't heard of any buyout .
If you have a Port Supply card at West , you can get their house brand of the Offshore 30 Tasco for $129 (listed at $199 like the Tasco ) the Tasco was only discounted to $178 with the Port Supply card . Port Supply is for those in the trade with a shop or yard affiliation .

commanderpete
08-09-2002, 06:19 AM
The tragedy of beer spillage can be greatly ameliorated by impressing upon the crew that swift and certain punishment will follow such carelessness.

A proper boat should also be equipped with an adequate number of fully gimballed drink holders. Each beverage is then secured with an individual tether affixed to a thru-bolted pad eye.

Unfortunately, the quality of a beer which has been retreived from the water is often degraded by the intrusion of sea water. Tastes like Gatorade.