PDA

View Full Version : Ben Wells

ebb
02-22-2010, 12:08 PM
The Alberg Design Fleet hosted at the Aeolian Yacht Club in Alameda a slide show by Ben Wells who circumnavigated between 1982 and 1988 in an Alberg 30. A life-long dream and a voyage of a lifetime. At about fivePM Ben appeared with screen and a stack of 3 carousels.
A tall quiet unassuming character, he launched right into the show which had an accompanying audio by a lively female voice. Lots of waterfalls and clear pools, lush tropical foliage, dark kids with skinny legs, sunsets and sunrises, markets, landfalls, smiles and happy days.
We whizzed rapidly slide by slide through the 6 year voyage with Ben every so often stopping to insert a pithy or humorous remark or identifying an idyllic scene.
Throughout the show there were many smiling pictures of a happy, skinny, tanned, vibrant middleaged man and a foxy young woman named Jean.

I bought Ben's Book 'Letters from the Antipodes' and he inscribed: "I hope you will realized your cruising dreams!" Indeed, he's giving slide shows at my age and I have yet to leave the Gate!

There were 20 or so people at the presentation, it was slow to breakup when it was over, which is always a sign that we presentees had a good time. Foremost in my mind was Jean. It wasn't until I got home and read 1/2 the book that I even got an inkling.
The book might have been subtitled, A Six Year Circumnavigation in 180 Pages. The book consists of letters to his family and to Latitude 38. Ben Wells is a great writer, he could have written more books and articles.
Very well read, very witty, and an historian of the WWII Pacific Theater. I believe he researched every isle, every archipalago, every port of call, every country he visited before arriving at each one. His commentary on General MacArthur turns out not only did he think well of himself but was also great tactician of island battles in the Pacific. He also gives Andrew Urbanczyk three dress-down pages. And includes the original Lat38 editor's marvelous response.

Jean Lawler spent six years with Ben and completed the circumnavigation with him YET she still remains the 'mysterious female.' She is always present, in many photos, always there, and yet somehow not there, moreso in the book. She came aboard, having answered Ben's ad for a companion in Latitude 38, at least a year before the voyage began, working every weekend with Ben as he prepared the Dawntreader for their great adventure. A twenty year old who had never sailed, she researched and provisioned the boat on her own. And went with the man the whole amazing distance.
I find no evidence that she wrote a book about it herself.
When they ended their odyssey, families got together and celebrated. Then Jean packed up and went off to Washington to study graphic arts. Computers had come into their own while they were absent from the homeland.

Ben's book, published 22 years after his return, is exactly his observations of the cultures of the Pacific, Panama and Brazil. And what happened in the 40 years after the War and his voyage. He is very interesting to read, has strong opinions on colonial gov'ts and corruption. I kept wishing for more history as I charged through the book but, I admit, mostly hoping to find out more about HER.
There has to be another book of that voyage that celebrates their unique relationship. One with color pictures. There are none but five or six small and faint reproductions of Jean's collages.
And more photos and observations about living aboard an Alberg 30 taken around the world. Ben is obviously a consummate skipper. They survived storms and typhoons, dragging anchor, and everything else imaginable and brought the ship 36,000 miles back home again!:cool:

By the way, actually NOT by the way, wonderful goodies materialized as we gathered: home made sushi, an incredible veggie platter with three amazing dips. Another platter of oatmeal chocolate chips that I stole more than my share of. And a pile of spicy chicken wings. The bartender didn't show, but it didn't matter, I think most of the group are teetotalers anyway. A very special evening!