PDA

View Full Version : greenboatstuff

ebb
01-14-2010, 12:03 PM
"Environmentally Friendly Boating Supplies"
make a big deal about products they sell: like production distribution, biodegradability, minimalising planet impact. I've gotten stuff from them. It's great this business is conscious about global problems. They sent me an email promo of a new product (actually, versions of it have been around a long time) called WonderWash. It's a 5# wash, small amount of water, biosoap, and a bunch of hand turning washing machine.
I took a look at their galley equipment: Insulated s.s cups, vac bottles, etc. They used terms like "food grade 18-8 stainless" and "marine grade 18-8."
Which raised a red flag for me.
Along with the iron/steel in the alloy, 18 refers to 18% chromium and 8 to 8% nickel. 18/8 stainless is the same as 304 stainless which has 18% chromium and 8% nickel. This alloy does not do well in a chloride environment. That's why we have 316. 316 contains 16% chromium, 10% nickel and 2% molybdenum. The moly is added to resist chlorides, and is considered 'marine grade'.

BUT THERE IS A PROBLEM HERE.
This comes from a website forum whose main discussion centered on why people's new s.s. utensil sets were rusting. There is a lot words by people who don't know nothing with people who don't know much more. At the end of discussion a guy piped up whom I now paraphrase.
Modern steels are of such poor quality. especially from china and asia, because they are made from mostly recycled cars. Catalytic converters have platanium, iridium, palladium type metals. There's cobalt in bulbs, mercury from tilt switches, gold contacts from circuit boards, germanium and arsenic in the circuits and chips, tin conductors on circuitboard lines. There's lead in the batteries if they're still in the crush, lithium batteries that store memory when the 12V is disconnected. "I guess you get the drift here." the poster writes.

The trace amounts cannot be removed so that "lovely, shiny piece of (18/8, 304, 316) stainless" as soon as it comes "in contact with an ionic compound, any salt or acid like lemon, oj, or table salt, right away the platinum and other catalytic materials will do the job they had before - they break bonds, like the iron-carbon-chromium-nickel bonds that hold the steel together."

He continues saying he has an old car from the '50s sitting outside "and it's still not rusted." Not stainless, it is virgin steel from before the days of recycling. (lifted from a post by LeslieMiller - Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba, Canada. google: What is 18/8 Stainless Steel.

Nothing surprises me. If a car gets crushed into a cube in 'asia', it sure would have been stripped of all heavy metals. If the cube is from the States, you know, the lead batteries could still be inside - along with Jimmy Hoffa.

SO I'm thinking, Am I going to make my coffee in the nice little espresso maker and drink it from that insulated s.s. cup, or keep it in the s.s. vac - that greenboatstuff is offering? They got the environment nailed down but in a way there is nothing they can do about my personal environment.:(

Now you have, if Mr Miller is even partially correct, some reasonable explanation why that 'lovely' s.s. anchor roller is discoloring along with those expensive 316 bolts.

c_amos
01-14-2010, 12:37 PM
All that glitters....

... is not green.

I am generally suspicious of 'things green' because I find they simply do not work. I remember going through gallons of that 'simple green' stuff where a squirt of good old 'dawn' would have done the job.

Re-using resources is just common sense... the efforts to 'go green' are admirable but I can not help but compare them to the woman I once saw loading her re-useable grocery bags into the back of her Hummer... :rolleyes:

I am not thinking I would want to order from the company you cite... I bet their prices are even higher then REI (http://REI.com) where I get much of my boat galley supplies.

ebb
01-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Craig, I'm an ole REI 'member'. But I don't get much 10% back from them since I don't hike anymore.
I wasn't really knocking greenboatstuff. I would guess that REI is not conscious about the s.s. alloy in, say, a fry pan we might have crisping bacon on the propane campstove.
Stainless steel is not something that I was worried about in terms of cooking or storing. Now I know that should at least take it into the equation.
Plastic is a problem in plastic storage bags and polycarbonate bottles, for example. It's just that here is another thing that nobody's is keeping an eye on. You know, it'll take an act of congress, literally, if somebody croaks from the arsenic emitting from a melted Dodge or GMC saucepan.
Not saying that's possible, but I don't know.
And I don't know that I shouldn't make (acidic) coffee in a cute espresso maker that BOTH greenboatstuff AND REI ARE SELLING that is made from stainless sheet that comes from china - OR this country for that matter.

Greenboatstuff is a mom-n-pop - so if something is priced close, I'll go with them rather than a big box.

I can still taste the strangely metallic coffee that we boiled for hours in the old aluminum percolator with the glass top on the lid.

Ariel 109
01-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Now you have, if Mr Miller is even partially correct, some reasonable explanation why that 'lovely' s.s. anchor roller is discoloring along with those expensive 316 bolts.

New stainless will show some rust stains when new. But it seems to be less of a problem with age and use. The stuff quickly builds up a patina and stops staining in my experience. I've warned about this problem to many clients over the years and nobody has ever told me a few months later that the staining was still occurring.

I've got this old book called "Steelmakers and Knotted String" by Harry Brearley about the invention of stainless steel and other fascinating tales. Quite interesting book.

Ben