PDA

View Full Version : Commander 231

Frenna
10-20-2009, 09:10 AM
Hi all,

I am in the process of purchasing Commander #231, currently Astrolabe out of Poulsbo, WA. She will end up a few miles away on Bainbridge Island.

I have previously owned a Cheoy Lee offshore 31, and currently own a Cheoy Lee Rhodes Reliant 40' yawl. Both are similar vintage to the Commander.

The reason for the purchase is the 40' yawl is on the hard awaiting a major overhaul, and has been since I picked her up some years ago. Since then my offspring count has grown from 1 boy to 3 boys, ages 9,5,2.

Since I am in the residential architecture/construction business, and times are, shall we say, sub-prime, I decided that the boys might be in college before I am ready to launch the yawl, so I had better get something in the water to train them in. I have a 470 racing dinghy too, and have had my oldest out on it last summer to good effect, but its not the kind of boat for wife/kids/camping. The family rule is nobody goes on the 470 that cannot pass a swimming test.

The Commander should be perfect. Good looking (a must for me), stable, large cockpit, easy rigging for rest of family to handle. I have sailed on one out of Chebeague Island, Maine in years past (might have been #126, not sure) so I know they sail well.

Attached are a few "as found" snaps. She is currently moored on a buoy. She looks a bit tired in these pictures, and will certainly need a full repaint, but I was surprised to see how sound she was otherwise. Appears never to have had stanchions, and the deck seems to be free of any soft spots or delamination. That was a relief. Minimum of hairline gelcoat cracks around fittings on deck, etc, but previous paintwork may have dealt with them.

The interior was redone at some point in the past by a previous owner (not the current one) and some interesting and well made storage provisions were added. I will post pictures when I can get down there with a wide angle lens. The bilge and other areas are relatively clean and dry, which leads me to hope that things will be fairly sound under the waterline.

My plan is to get her out of the water and under cover on my property. Looking to find a cheap but adequate trailer to modify for the job or build a cradle and flatbed to my house. There is a marine crane near her mooring that will do the lifting out part. I have been scouring the photo threads for ideas.

Once she is secure and close by I will plan the attack. I would love to get her looking fine, but I don't want to miss out on next summer's season to do it. I may settle for just going over the critical stuff until then, such as replacing through-hulls, checking rigging, rudder, etc. Save the pretty stuff for next year.

For the record, #231 does have the bridge deck, and is set up with the outboard well. I have not seen the rudder yet, so cannot comment on the aperture status.

I will post more pics as things progress.

-Frank

bill@ariel231
10-20-2009, 10:43 AM
frenna

welcome aboard. 'can't wait to see how the "other" #231 turns out. it sound like she landed in good hands.

cheers,
bill@ariel231:)

Commander 147
10-20-2009, 11:27 AM
We look forward to hearing more about all your progress on the boat and your sailing adventures when you splash her. :)

SkipperJer
10-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Boats have a way of developing enormous amounts of inertia once they are out of the water. If the motor starts and the sails can be raised: go sailing now! The kids will learn a lot from it as is. Try sailing this one as is while you keep working on the other.

Frenna
10-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words. I hear what you are saying about the inertia of being out of the water. I will make sure to splash her in the spring even if cosmetics are unresolved. I do want to know that the through hull fittings are not about to turn to dust, or the rudder about to fall off first, of course.

In some regards it will be a challenge to myself to see what time can be made during the dark damp months of fall/winter/early spring. If I can make good enough progress and still feel motivated for more, then the 40' project has a future. If not, hey, I have the Commander!

Some of my lifelong sailing friends are in similar situations, and as we approach 50 years of age (not for a few years, though) the ability to make use of the boat is gaining as a priority. I am looking forward to being able to hop on the boat at 4:30 on a weekday afternoon, get the sail up and be out on the water for a few hours, without having to get home too late to put the kids to bed. Meanwhile, just getting her home and scraping down the hull a bit promises to be an adventure. I will keep you posted...

-Frank

c_amos
10-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Welcome aboard Frank!

Congrats and welcome to the A/C family ;)

THey really are great boats, and worth the money, time, and effort.

Look forward to seeing more pictures, and hearing about your future adventures!

mbd
10-21-2009, 06:16 AM
Ditto on the congrats and welcome to another forumite with Chebeague connections!

Seems like you "Frank" types like construction and rebuilding boats. :D Ariel #215...."Revival"...again (http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/showthread.php?t=1978)

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Frenna
03-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Careening C231
I now own C231, though she still lives on the previous owners mooring buoy for now. Still have work to do on a trailer conversion before she can come home on land.

Meanwhile, I decided to careen her to remove the worst of the offending growth, which was pretty substantial. I was careful not to scrape on the bottom paint for environmental reasons, though I can't imagine it had much effectiveness in it. Lots of mussels, a few barnacles (not many thank goodness) and quite a few anemonies. Just one long piece of kelp or something, unless it was just caught on some other growth.
No sign of blisters, rudder shoe looked good enough for now. I will know more when I can dry her out.

In Puget sound the extreme tidal range this time of year is about 16-17 feet. The slope of the beach would have been helpful if I had pointed her toward land and used the dock, but it would have meant using just one piling since the dock is too high to catch the hull. I was hoping the bulkhead would support her side, but the part farther up the beach was too shallow and this part too deep once she started to dig into the loose gravel.

I had to work fast to get those two 4x6 posts along side her and tie them off to hold her up as she dropped lower and lower at the bow with the falling tide. All OK in the end. Nice to see her underwater lines at last, if only for a few hours.

Commander 147
03-10-2010, 02:40 AM
Welcome to the ranks of the commander owners.

How long have you owned her? And what are your plans with her?

Frenna
03-10-2010, 05:59 AM
I have owner her since December 09, but I am waiting until I can get a trailer together to bring her home for a refit.

I don't think she has been off the mooring for a couple years or so, so cleaning the bottom was needed just to be ready to move her.

The boat seems to be in really sound shape, though it does look a bit bedraggled, and the topside paint has been work through by the the buoy.

I did not detect any soft spots in the deck or cabin, and the bilges is dry and relatively clean. Just needs a good sanding, painting, review of rigging and through hulls etc.

I was originally hoping to relaunch later this year, but I am also finishing up a long overdue new house, so I may put it off until 2011.

Frenna
05-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Well, I finally managed to get the trailer for C231 ready, managed to pull the mast from the previous owners dock (more on that later), and had a great early morning 12 knot powered cruise to the nearest travel lift facility. I chickened out on retrieving with the trailer for the first time, which I think was the right call.

I figured out the trailer supports from the lines drawings, and they worked out pretty much exactly as planned. She is a heavy thing to pull around, but I drove very steady and the trailer performed very smoothly. Knowing the brakes were fresh and working properly was nice too. Glad I went the brakes route. (Surge brakes)

The vertical supports were welded together from 2" square tube. I had them galvanized after the welding. Just rented a nice 220v mig unit from the local rental place. Not too hard to figure out.

For the supports I used tops from Brownell boat stands. I did grind away part of the side of the top socket so they would tilt a bit more. Looked very solid in the rear view mirror, and should allow for some adjusting while doing work. I hope.

The pictures tell the rest of the story....

Frenna
05-10-2010, 10:15 PM
I guess I need to spend some time figuring out the best way to caption pictures. Here are the rest from the previous post, ending with arrival at home....

Commander227
05-11-2010, 06:13 AM
OMG, what beautiful sailing grounds you have!
Nice job on the trailer, it looks very well thought out.
Mike

Frenna
05-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks,
Yeah, this is one beautiful place to sail.
I am feeling pretty good about First Light's (C231) structural condition considering nothing much has been done to her in many years and she has been on a buoy for 10 or 12 years.

This morning I see no moisture dripping from the hull anywhere (and the bilge was always bone dry when in the water). The rudder shoe seems not to be too worn or funky, and the rudder seems decent, though a bit rough. That might change when it dries out, though. As far as I know the deck has no punky spots, but removing things may reveal otherwise. I will post more as I discover it.

Commander 147
05-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Frenna

I have to say Ditto to what Mike said. I can't imagine what it would be like to sail in an area where you look accross the water at a snow capped mountain. I have chartered in Lake Superior at the Apostle Islands and as pretty as that was there were no snow capped mountains in view.

Your trailer looks very well built. You did a good job on it. If you are planning on ramp launching using the trailer you might want to look at the list of things I just told Neil about in this post that my trailer mfg. suggested I do to make ramp launching easier.

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/showthread.php?304-Trailer-Discussions&p=21400#post21400

Keep up the picture posting we all love it.