PDA

View Full Version : C-151 Nemesis

Patrick Sullivan
08-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Hello –

I would like to introduce Nemesis (Commander 151) to the board on behalf of my big brother Jeff and I.
Nemesis has been in the Sullivan family since our Dad (Jerry Sullivan) bought her from Jack O’Neal, who was selling boats in Santa Cruz back in the mid 60's. (Yep, we are the original owners and know every scratch and dent on her.)
A year or so later, she was moved up to the SF Bay, and she has been here ever since. Over the years she has been raced, served as a vacation home every summer in the Delta, did 8 years of patrol for the CG Auxiliary (she’s towed boats much larger than her) was a model for the CGA Boating Skills and Seamanship and Sailing texts in the mid 70s and early 80s. (*If you have one of the these hanging around on a shelf, you can see my brothers and I crewing while our dad took the photos.) and otherwise just been kickin’ around the bay.
For some time now, Nemesis has been in the water, but sadly, has sat unused, in mothball, as we all got married, bought houses and started families. Money has been tight, and only recently have we been able to completely refit her, pulling bits a pieces out of the garage and putting her back together.
Some of the work that my big brother Jeff, our kids and I have completed in the past few months are: replaced all running and standing rigging, haul out, striped and repainted/re-varnished the interior, ordered a new main from Pineapple sails, and refinished all the bright work. (replacing some unsalvageable pieces in the process) There are still some things to do, such as repairing the electrical system and replacing the handrails, but we can do these in time.
This Saturday, after a lot of hard (and sometimes unexpected) work, we are taking her out for the first time in 14 years. This is a fitting continuation of life for a boat that has been such a great friend over the years.
I am attaching a few photos of her as she sits today. (Hopefully I got the sizing correct) Hope to see some of you out on the bay.

Patrick

ebb
08-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Great story!
Hope the kids take to sailing.
She looks fabulous!

Rico
08-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Looking great!
Almost a 'twin' to my C-155... I look forward to seeing you out there!
Where is your home marina?

PS; Interesting appendage on the bottom slat on the companioway -What is it for? I imagine the upper 'grating' is for ventilation?

Patrick Sullivan
08-13-2009, 05:04 PM
I noticed the simularity between our boats as well - they are only a few builds apart.

Right now we are in Brisabane 1 dock over from Portugal Princess. We are however looking at a couple of slips in Gashouse Cove or Marina Green this weekend.

The "apendage" is a step - comes in handy climbing in and out in rough seas. There is another on the board above in the interior as well, and yes the grating is for ventilation.

c_amos
08-13-2009, 07:20 PM
Beautiful ship!

Thanks for taking the time to share the pictures... she looks fantastic!

mbd
08-14-2009, 03:52 AM
Congrats and well done! Glad to hear she's back.

Interesting winches too. Are those "caps" original to the style?

Did you guys make new coamings too? If so, nicely done - if not, they look fantastic for 40 plus years old.

Commander 147
08-14-2009, 03:58 AM
Now that's something you don't see every day. And a really great looking boat she is too. Must be some real pride of ownership by the Sullivan family that kept her in great condition.

Thanks for showing her off to everyone here and please keep us up to date with all your adventures with her. I hope your kids have the same good memories as you and your brother obviously do and someday she will still be cared for by the Sullivan family by them while they introduce her to their children.

Sail on _/) ~~~ _/) ~~~

Patrick Sullivan
08-14-2009, 08:08 AM
Thanks Mike -
These are the original Tuffblock winches my dad put on the boat so many years ago. At one point the top cap became unsound, so we replaced the bottom plate of the cap with stainless.
The coamings were replaced some 25 years ago - so these are new/old. They are slightly higher than the originals - helpfull in keeping dry in the SF bay, which is often very wet sailing. They have 6 or 7 (I lost count) coats of Epiphanes on them, as does everything else.
Patrick

Rico
02-02-2012, 11:55 AM
A picture of Nemesis just before the start of the 2012 edition of the Three Bridge Fiasco...