PDA

View Full Version : Tore the Main, Smoking engine

Janice Collins
07-23-2002, 04:02 AM
It just didn't turn out likie I had expected, then again, what does.

I was trying to sail to St. John in one long tack, my destination , Rendezvous Bay, beating the whiole way. . But when I came about, Rrrrrip!!!

The main had been reefed, and I was looking at that sail shape, how it seemed to pulling in one area, and I know it wasn't right . I should have trusted my judgement and then acted on it.

So I ended up spending the night at a small island in between st. thomas and St. John instead.
I did mange to pull up my anchors and sail out of the bay on my own .

THEN, my engine started smoking as I pulled back into the lagoon, where my mooring is. I believe the impeller is malfunctioning.
So now, Wayward Star is totally powerless.

Bill
07-23-2002, 07:56 AM
Certainly an adventure, but not what you really wanted, I'm sure. How old are your sails?

I learned the hard way that ob's should be fresh water flushed after using. The water pump on mine became hunk of solid salt. Problem was, the pump failed as the tide was carrying us toward the beach after the wind died in front of the Golden gate Bridge. Luckily, the tide shifted before we hit the beach and carried us back into the channel.

Janice Collins
07-24-2002, 03:42 AM
I'm not sure the age of the sails. This main sail we bought used about 6 years ago. I'm going to take it to the sail loft and see if it is worth repairing . If not, then I'm in the market to buy. I heard Bacon and Associates in Maryland are a contact for good used sails. I never priced new ones. Will check the manual for dimensions for the main.

commanderpete
07-26-2002, 06:19 AM
Oh well, its always something. I once heard that the definition of cruising is: "Repairing your boat in exotic locations"

Engines are still a mystery to me. Anytime my Yamaha has failed to run, the cause has always been a lack of fuel.

I do know that the water outflow tube tends to get clogged up with salt. Clean it out with a piece of wire or cotter pin. You need to make sure the engine is always spitting a nice stream of water.

Here is a site with some links on outboard maintenance, for anyone who understands this stuff.

http://www.geocities.com/bill_dietrich/Maintenance.html#OutboardMotor

I don't know what the problem with your engine is, but I do know the cause--your engine must have overheard you talking about replacing her.

Janice Collins
07-27-2002, 07:33 AM
I was fortunate to find a guy who "loves" to work on outboards, has a great reputation, sort of the "Sven" of outboards. He took the engine off the boat, said he had to drill through the salt build-up, replaced bolts that was making it so hard to tilt the engine, and said if I can't tilt it still, anytime I need to have it tilted out of the water he'll dinghy by and do it for me. .....for free. But he vows to enable me to tilt it myself....insists I need to move my solar panel out of the way.
He also replaced the impeller. Says I need to replace the bracket also. Says I have a great motor there and he'll keep it in excellent condition for me. I think my honey sent him.........I'm going there today to check it all out...... and to take my main sail to have it checked out.