PDA

View Full Version : this good stuff here

ebb
07-17-2002, 12:55 PM
This board(?) has got to be one of the LIVELIEST and best organised sites with information pertinent to classic plastic on the whole internet. IMHO. A tribute to a couple great little boats and the sailors they have continued to attract to care for and feed them.

Is it worth considering that some time in the near future befor the number of threads gets totally out of hand that a compact version be arranged, edited and indexed into an ARCHIVAL FORUM?

Making it easier to look something up. So we don't loose any of this good stuff.

Bill
07-17-2002, 01:37 PM
Yeah, we've thought of that. Time seems to be an issue right now, but we will work on it.

Bill
07-17-2002, 02:13 PM
One thing that makes archiving difficult is having to sift through all the misplaced posts. For example, a "technical" subject was posted to the "off topic" forum under the thread "return to sailing after 30 years." It would sure help if everyone opened a new thread in the appropriate forum when the took off on a new subject :PO:

ebb
07-17-2002, 03:01 PM
!

commanderpete
07-18-2002, 08:03 AM
You might have better luck trying to herd a bunch of cats.

I'll volunteer to help organize some stuff.

I kind of like how they did it over at the Triton site.

http://www.tritonclass.org/mir/mirindex.htm

ebb
07-18-2002, 02:10 PM
me too, and are we honored or not to have a coupla big sisters (Tritons) over here with "nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about on the Ariel board."

C'pete you'd be perfect because you be one who makes this place bounce and you'd probably even keep the bald, the ribald, and most of the baldfaced intact. Yes? Mucho gracias, as they say in Sonoma! >>balderdash<<

commanderpete
08-07-2002, 11:25 AM
Yeah, if it aint fun, why bother?

I probably wouldn't be much good putting something together on the technical issues, or sailing, for that matter.

But, I could write a volume on "Looking Good While Screwing Up."

I use a bunch of useful phrases to cover most situations. I have these printed up on a laminated card for easy reference:

"I meant to do that"

"I'm teaching this guy here at the helm"

"That's how we did it in Maine, ayup"

"It's not my boat"

"Damn engine got stuck again"

"I wanted to ground her and scrub the bottom"

"We're practising disaster recovery"

"I lost the rudder"

"Give Way! Blind Sea Scout training vessel"

"This is called a slippery hitch shawshank knot with two half turns"

"I just fixed that"

"Lousy Pearson workmanship"

"Don't you know COLREGIS Rule 78(2)(b)(i)?"

"It doesn't hurt that bad at all"

Janice Collins
08-08-2002, 03:52 AM
:D

commanderpete
08-12-2002, 12:50 PM
Here I am teaching this young lady how to heel her boat over and clear low bridges.

Theis
09-06-2002, 05:06 AM
I'd like to to hear the story behind that one. I've often wondered what the procedure is if you get stuck under a draw bridge - thinking it was high enough when it wasn't.

commanderpete
09-06-2002, 08:46 AM
Don't know the story behind this particular boneheaded maneuver (knocking wood).

I figure you could climb up the mast and heel the boat further. Once the boat clears and rights itself, you would be flung cleanly into the water. Then again, the current may pull the boat further under the bridge.

I suppose the proper procedure would be to hide the beers and call the Coast Guard.

Theis
09-06-2002, 09:03 AM
Everytime I have heard a request for Coast Guard assistance, they request that the vessel occupants put on pfds. I've never heard them direct the vessel in distress to discard their beer. It would appear to me that these miscreants got the two priorities confused, or perhaps the CG gives different directions in different districts.

commanderpete
06-29-2005, 01:23 PM
Hey, look at that---54 people on the board today at one time.

We've got to sell some advertisements. We could be RICH! RICH! RICH!

Tim61N
07-02-2005, 03:13 AM
OK, maybe....
Ahhhh what a lovely day, blow the horn and here we go under the draw bridge. Wave to the people, sweetie! Ah, we're through and it's coming back down. Now hmmmm, what happened to that nice low rumble I was hearing just a second ago and why are we drifting backwards!!!?????