PDA

View Full Version : Ariel #293

carl291
02-25-2009, 09:05 AM
link: Pearson Ariel 26' sailboat (http://boston.en.craigslist.org/sob/boa/1047740598.html)

Ariel for sale in Boston area, This boat is worth taking a moment to view the interior work , absolutely beautiful

Carl

mbd
02-25-2009, 10:42 AM
Wow! Very nice! Certainly worth keeping some pics here on the forum for posterity's sake.

I wonder what the hull number is - must have been the very last one made - 1970! ;)

c_amos
02-25-2009, 10:58 AM
Wow! Very nice! Certainly worth keeping some pics here on the forum for posterity's sake.

I wonder what the hull number is - must have been the very last one made - 1970! ;)

Wow indeed. That interior is a work of art! Whoever lands that one will be fortunate indeed.

Here is the add from the link in case the Craig's list add goes dead;

Pearson Ariel 26' sailboat - $6500 (Raynham, MA)

Reply to: see below
Date: 2009-02-23, 8:34PM EST

1970 Pearson Ariel 26' sailboat, 15HP Evinrude outboard in a well. Boat was completely refitted in 2005. Hull has been stripped down to the fiberglass, new barrier coat, bottom paint and awlgrip topside. Decks have been replaced with foam and fiberglass and awlgrip nonskid. New CDI furler 130%. Autopilot. All new standing rigging, lifelines and turnbuckles.

Inside has been stripped and completely refitted, new cushions, new head, new flexible holding tank, new VHF radio, new depth finder. All new interior woodwork, corian counters & sinks, and rewired.

Can provide photos of complete refinishing. See photos below of this great boat. Price is $6500 firm. Call 508 813 2819 for more information.

Tony G
02-25-2009, 03:17 PM
I don't think I could sell her. Someone is going to get a gem.

Bill
02-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Wow! Very nice! I wonder what the hull number is - must have been the very last one made - 1970! ;)

1967 is the last year of production for the Ariel.

mbd
03-05-2009, 05:18 PM
I just had to call the owner. A very nice fellow named Jerry Legace. He owns a woodworking shop called Legace Woodworking - which explains the amazing interior work!

I asked him to send along any and all pictures he's got of the boat. I'll post them and any more details he cares to pass along as soon as they come in... :D

BTW Bill, she's hull 293.

----------
Some more pics from his new ad here: http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/boa/1059372935.html

mbd
03-05-2009, 07:26 PM
The Sister Mary TYB (Ariel 293) was totally restored by Jerry and Sharon Legace in 2005.

Sharon tells me she joined the forum, so hopefully she and/or Jerry will respond if anyone has questions.

And hopefully, the lucky new owner will join up and continue this thread with lots of cruising and sailing adventures and, of course new pictures!

mbd
03-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Here's a PDF file of pics during the restoration. (Sorry, not sure how to extract the images from the PDF)

mbd
03-05-2009, 07:36 PM
More exterior shots...

mbd
03-05-2009, 07:44 PM
And finally, the interior shots!

mbd
03-05-2009, 07:49 PM
And moving forward...

Tony G
03-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Wow. The love is very apparent in those photos. Just contrast this one against a majority of listings you'll find on yacht world or any big brokerage site.

Just a short list of some of the things I noticed. Solid surfacing in the galley. Maybe it's just me but solid surface counter tops never look out of place. The seamless transition to the sink basin and the smooth edges...(BarryWhite in the background). How about the joinery work throughout? Those ceiling strips look as if they were born there. Grew right into place sans seams. Here is where some of you pros have to step in. Is it cherry? Quarter sawn oak? I can't tell other than I like it! How about the treatment under the side decks in the main salon? It looks like it has a pattern as if they used fabric. That's a first for me. Again, I like it! Salon vs. Saloon. Anyone else notice the face on the electrical panel? It reminds me of The Spirit of St. Louis. Sharp boat to look at just out in the bay too. That dodger fits like a glove on the forward edge. I didn't notice coamings on the cabin top so it must be in the manufacturing.

Top shelf stuff for sure.

mbd
03-07-2009, 04:57 AM
I got an email from Jerry's wife, Sharon. She said Jerry used quarter sawn oak and loves to work with it.

She's just waiting for Bill's "approval" so she can start posting and answering questions.

Here's another pic: Jerry and a crew member...

mbowman
03-17-2009, 08:52 AM
Wow! Absolutely Amazing! My wife would even go overnight with me if my boat looked like that! That's the first planking job I've seen that truly looked like it belonged! Looking at the "before" pics, that was truly a labor of love!

mbd
03-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Hopefully the new owner will sign in and lavish us with more pictures of this beauty!