PDA

View Full Version : How Tough is an Ariel? We'll see After Hurricane IKE

Hull376
09-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Well gang,

Here we go again. Charisma is all tied up at Marina Del Sol on the west side of Galveston Bay. Looks like Spiderman shot webs all over her. She survived Rita, then Dolly, Eduardo. But now it looks like IKE is gonna make a direct hit with up to 100 mph winds and a tidal surge on the west side of the bay of up to 18 feet. The docks can rise up about 15 feet to the tops of the piers at the marina. Its a small man made marina surrounded with houses that are on raised ground (about 15-20 feet above sea level.) I'm about 3 miles from the Johnson Space Center. It doesn't look good based on the pictures coming in from Galveston. Ike will put lots of water in motion into the bay where it is fairly shallow and very susceptible to surge.

We'll get a good picture of how tough these Ariel hulls are---- past hurricane reports showed that although significantly damaged, they can take quite a beating without sinking. I'll read up on "fiber glass and you" as I'll probably need to re-read the "how to" stuff. That is if I am successful in finding the boat when the storm is over! Could be a roof ornament before all is said and done!

mbd
09-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Good luck Kent - we'll be thinking good thoughts up here!

Lucky Dawg
09-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Keep your head low Kent. You look dead-eye in Ike's path. Let us know when you come out of it.

commanderpete
09-15-2008, 06:20 AM
Heartbreaking pictures in the news.

Initial reports indicate Marina Del Sol avoided the worst of the carnage

http://www.khou.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23495&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Fingers crossed....

ebb
09-15-2008, 07:58 AM
I understand that if it is at all possible get out of the marina and anchor out.
Extra long Dacron rodes bow and stern, extra anchors, good chafing protection, deep enough water.
There is good info on this alternative from the cruisers, as well as this site, on riding out storms away from other boats - if possible. It's great of course if there is some protection from the direct path of the system.
The biggest problem you hear and see is from other people's boats, big floating debris in an enclosed basin.

Hull376
09-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the kind words,

I got an email from "Shannon" who has an Alberg 35 down the E dock from me. She said that our dock survived intact-- the water raised the dock within a foot of the tops of the piers. All hell would have broken loose if it went any higher--- the "debris in the bathtub" scenario ebb is talking about. Anyway, Shannon says that her Alberg, and my Alberg are both "floating pretty" and she says that "Carl Alberg didn't design any "wimpy" boats!" Got to love it! Many of the other marinas didn't fair as well. The bigger ones fell apart, you'll see pictures on the news. Hardest hit in our area is the Houston Yacht Club, which is further up the bay and the docks are in a basin right on the bay as opposed to the many located in Clear Lake. Looks like all the boats are up on the land in front of the club house. Saw some pictures of gouges in the St. Augustine grass where the keels were pressing in the bottom, then moving inland leaving another "footprint" as the surge moved them inland. Follow the footprints and eventually you'll find a sailboat now high and dry.

c_amos
09-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Kent;

Very glad to hear it, what great news!

"Carl Alberg didn't design any "wimpy" boats!" :D

Hull376
09-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Here's a shot from better days showing the piling at the end of the floating dock finger piers. The water got within one foot of the top of the piling.

kendall
09-15-2008, 09:21 PM
http://votaw.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=7534

Looks pretty tough to me!

Checkout the rest of the pics, amazing.

Ken

Commander 147
09-16-2008, 04:30 AM
Looking at the pictures Kendall posted it is heart wrenching to see the endless devistation caused by Ike. I'm really glad you survived to sail another day.:)

The thing that suprised me the most is how many boat owners never even bothered to remove the canvas from their boats. That is a relatively easy thing to do that will drastically reduce the potential damage to a boat.:confused:

kendall
09-16-2008, 05:27 AM
Oh sorry, that's not my boat. Just found the link elsewhere and posted it.

I'm in michigan, so the only thing I saw of the hurricane was a few days of heavy rain, it did postpone getting the boat home for the winter though.

Realy surprised me too, so many boats look like there were no precautions at all taken.

Ken.

Commander 147
09-16-2008, 05:33 AM
Am I mistaken?

Sorry for the confusion.

ebb
09-16-2008, 08:16 AM
166 pictures of a lot of heartbreak!
Amazing! Got to see 1/3rd of them so far...

In separate pictures it looks like another Ariel and a Commander came thru fine.
Just sitting there waiting to go for a sail.

As willbe points out the number of furled staysails is amazing. Many of them seem to have stay furled altho many of the boats with them were unlucky.

Sails on furlers never come down unless to be replaced.
I'll bet there are owners who have never removed a furler sail themselves,
and may even think they don't.
Obviously the sails should have all been removed from their furlers.

I wonder how many of the boats that got loose were the usual semi-abandoned ones that no-one came down to check before the blow.
The incredible devastation might have been much less if all the boats had been lashed up properly.

Who's responsible? The owner of the boat?
Or the harbor master who must have toured his facility before the storm and did not or could not alert renters that their boats were potential lethal weapons?

Some boats park in a marina because the slip is worth a lot of bucks - sometimes more than the boat. An obviously abandoned boat should be impounded and removed when weather threatens.

There may have been inadequate tie points on the docks that could mean the facility owner is somehow culpable as well.

It may be moot that in a hurricane alley some marinas are designed better than others for eventual storms. And are better at keeping boats and debris tied up, protected and separated.

Global warming and global dimming are changing weather patterns and raising water levels. Put as a question: Are storms becoming more frequent and more severe?

Hull376
09-16-2008, 08:32 AM
376---- That's me! Kent. You are correct. I think that many boat owners couldn't get down in time to properly tie off their boats because the storm was heading south, then took a turn to the north. By then, everyone was evacuating the coast and it would be really tough to get from, say North Houston down to the coast or Clear Lake to do anything--- roads clogged. You might get there, but not get out!. I for one had tied up Charisma for Hurricane Gustav and hadn't yet untied her.

That all said, I think these folks are not as focused on preparations as I've seen in other parts of the country when a hurricane is approaching. Things like taking off the canvas are a no-brainer. But lots don't do it.

And yes, ebb, you probably did see a couple of Ariels or Commanders in all those pictures. There are several in the area, a few that aren't registered with the Association.

It also looks to me like many of the sunken boats are in Watergate marina, and there are many fixed docks with short pilings. With the surge, the boats would have ridden over the tops of the pilings (assuming there was enough slack in the lines) and then "holed" themselves as the water level changed. Not sure if the lines would have held a larger boat down without parting in the case of short lines--- less than the heighth of the surge. But if they broke, then you have a big battering ram moving about the marina. Floating docks have their problems, but it looks like the fixed docks were worthless based on my knowledge of where they are and what the pictures show.

kendall
09-16-2008, 08:40 AM
Am I mistaken?

Sorry for the confusion.

My mistake, reading without my glasses, saw the ken and missed the t.

Glad she came through the storm ok Kent, hope the boats in as good of shape as the pics seem to show.

Ken.

commanderpete
09-16-2008, 12:09 PM
More pics of "Kemah Sabe"

Lucky the neighbor didn't crunch her

Hull376
09-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Here's a photo of the marina BEFORE the storm with the berm surrounding it (houses built on top). I think this made the difference between safe versus destroyed. The nastiest photos of the mess appear to be with the fixed docks at other marinas.

Commander 147
09-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Kent

Do you have any pictures of your boat after Ike? Did she have any damage?

Hull376
09-18-2008, 05:31 PM
If the roads are clear, I should be down there this weekend sometime. I'll take my camera and show you what I find. Right now, I only have some emails from others at the marina who say I'm floating fine.

ebb
09-30-2008, 12:15 AM
Kemah Sabe!

If there was a picture-worth-a-thousand-words contest...

this one - of Kemah Sabe (with the Gary Larson signature) floating placidly and calmly next to pure chaos searing her flank....
and that tidy fin keeler in the background hung up to dry ON the boardwalk - this one would be a winner .....

PRICELESS.

Under the rudder of the little pocket cruiser is the stern of another keelboat seemingly no worse for wear either. My favorite of the two pix is the balanced shot with the flyer in the upper center in the vortex of a triangle. Great picture. It's up on my crowded wall.

I understand the name comes from the spanish phrase
'qui no sabe',
which translates as "clueless".:D
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
IMHO, Hurricanes should be named after comedians.
The next year after famous cartoonists......
Pet names, sports figures.... like that.

Hull376
11-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Well here's some pictures of IKE aftermath. I took these with my new Blackjack II phone, and didn't have time to figure out how to get them off my phone and onto my computer until this week. What you see is a very small portion of the damage. These boats are insured by Nationwide, and they rented the open space at my marina to set them up for auction. Some were recovered and floated in, while others were brought in by truck. None are from my marina, where damage was slight, except for the cabin cruiser photo which is at the entrance to the marina. Nationwide's staff told me that almost all of these boats will probably end up being purchased and exported outside of the US. They go to Asia and S. America to be repaired and refit. Labor costs allow them to do it profitably.

Hull376
11-07-2008, 03:58 PM
A few more pics. Post Hurricane IKE