PDA

View Full Version : Ariel Sighting (A-???) in the British virgin Islands

Rico
01-08-2008, 07:34 PM
January 5th 2008:
I was surprised to spot an Ariel as I made my way on the Ferry to St Thomas to catch my return flight (From an amazing sailing week in the BVI... 3 of the days we had winds of up to 20+ knots!).

I was busy chatting it up with a british lady when a little boat caught my eye off to starboard. I think it must have been a local boat, mainly because it was confidently attempting to negotiate a path between some rocks right off a point, and I doubted it was going to make it through the shallows from where I was looking... (It sailed through without a glitch...)

This happened as the ferry negotiated the the straits between Great St James Is. and St Thomas... I spouted off for all the ferrygoers to know - 'that's an Ariel!'

Unfortunately, I was not within reach of my camera as it was already packed-up for the plane ride.

I have no hull number and no name. (I agree that sadly, this does not secure me any points...) but we should keep an eye out for this one...

I do have proof of THIS sighting however:

A Pearson Vanguard, if I am not mistaken... Aptly named "Restless". He was anchored just off of Cooper Island. I wanted to have a chat with the owners, but I was out-voted as we were running a bit late getting to the next anchorage before dark...

Tony G
01-12-2008, 09:14 AM
St. Thomas? That'd probably be Janice Collins. Hopefully it's her still plying the waters of the VI's. We tried to find her a couple of years back while pretending to be on vacation...with any luck we'll rub shoulders this March.

ebb
01-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Tony G
.....you mean you snuck yer boat by us
and she's in the VIs?.....

Tony G
01-14-2008, 07:29 AM
Yeah, wouldn't that be nice. No, unfortunately we're still deep in the throes of recon. Making a few life changes that should allow more time for....living.