PDA

View Full Version : Ariel #5

bill@ariel231
09-26-2007, 05:07 PM
looks a good cheap project for someone mid-atlantic.... the writeup gives a shout-out to "Grace":

"For a fantastic website with loads of information on these cult classics, check out www.PearsonAriel.org. Go to the Discussion page and then to the Gallery. Don't miss "Grace" by commanderpete"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Classic-1964-Pearson-Commander-Hull-No-5_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63730QQihZ007QQitemZ1 70152804534QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

cheers,
bill@ariel231
:)

Reader
09-26-2007, 06:01 PM
I was thinking that, if I could get a Commander like #5, it would be a worthwhile project. But I would need a trailer for transport and maybe later for storage too.

Does anyone know of the dimensions I need to be aware of if looking for a trailer?

Is there a one design boat whose trailer may fit a Commander without modification. A J-22? A J-24?

Thanks,

Read

Bill
09-26-2007, 07:52 PM
Does anyone know of the dimensions I need to be aware of if looking for a trailer?

"Search" on trailer and ye shall be answered.

Reader
09-27-2007, 03:08 AM
Hi Bill-

I have searched on trailer and found a number of discussions. I saw the one about one owner's dimensions and a long discussion about obtaining someone's plans for fabricating a trailer.

I am aware of Triad. They make great trailers.

I just thought someone might have used a J 22 or similar boat trailer for a Commander. I thought a trailer for a one design class boat might be easier to come across.

But, at your suggestion, I will keep searching.

Thank you,

Read

bill@ariel231
09-27-2007, 07:39 AM
Read,

A J-24 trailer probably won't have the margin you need for safe towing. A J-24 displaces 2700#, a Commander displaces nearly twice that. Your best bets are professional boat hauler or a cradle on a car carrier. Moderator Bill's book has the cradle dimensions. There are a couple examples of boats on the forum moved with the cradle and car carrier method.

A suggestion: A boat hauler can get the move done fast and safe giving you time to find or build a dedicated trailer while you get the boat ready for next season. Alternately you can get her tossed in the water and sail her on her own bottom to a boat yard near you.

cheers,
bill@ariel231

mbd
09-27-2007, 09:38 AM
I was thinking that, if I could get a Commander like #5, it would be a worthwhile project. But I would need a trailer for transport and maybe later for storage too.
Read, another thought. Buy a boat that already has a trailer. There happens to be a pretty decent Ariel currently for sale on this site WITH a trailer already - and for a fantastic price!

Tim Mertinooke
09-27-2007, 12:22 PM
I didn't want to post this just yet, but so as not to get one's hopes up I must admit that there is a pending sale and the boat should be moved toward the end of October. Rest assured A-24 will be going to a nice home. More details later. Tim

thurman
10-01-2007, 05:47 AM
I'm the current (only) bidder on number 5. As a noob to the sailing world, (I have a restored Chris Craft 38 powerboat right now), I'm hoping that this little sweetie will be a good cruiser/racer for the Chesapeake Bay. Or is this just a good heavy air boat... Anyone?

bill@ariel231
10-01-2007, 08:24 AM
You won't be blowing the doors off any sport boats, but they are a lot of fun with a spinnaker or a genny in light air. If you want to do PHRF, you'll have a generous handicap that you should be able to beat.

good luck with your bid!

:)

bill@ariel231
10-03-2007, 04:58 AM
she went for $560!... somebody got a bargin

thurman
10-03-2007, 06:26 AM
Yeah, unfortunately it wasn't me.

Penokee
10-05-2007, 05:15 AM
Thurman,

I sent you another PM and another e-mail, but I think we may not be connecting. Can you try sending to me through my username here? All you have to do is hold your mouse over my username (upper left corner of the message) and click, and you'll get some options like "send a private message to this member," and "send an e-mail to this member." Feel free to message or e-mail me.

Group: Sorry to create extra "traffic" with this message, but I wanted to talk to thurman about Commander #5 (I believe the feeling is mutual) and we're having a little bit of trouble getting connected.

Penokee

thurman
10-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Well, it looks like I will be the new Commander #5 owner :) The PO, Penokee, and I came to a mutually advantageous understanding... WooHoo! Now all I have to do is figure out how to get her from Chester to Solomons (MD) on her own bottom :p

It won't be the first time I made the trip at least, I bought an aged Chris Craft (which I still own, of course), up in Georgetown about this time last year and motored her down the Chesapeake as well. She will most likely be my "big friend" for the voyage. Fun trip!

T

bill@ariel231
10-15-2007, 10:14 AM
congrats.. glad to see Commander #5 has a new home!:)

thurman
11-14-2007, 07:38 AM
Ok, after meeting with the Po and exchanging papers, I am now the owner of #5. My next task is to move her from her current location in Chester MD to St. Inigoes MD. It's about 100 nm. My choices (as I see them), are self moving over water or via commercial land carrier. Moving by land will cost me $1000. The boat has not been wet for several years, and the entire deck from nose to cabin is soft, so going via water through any kind of seas doesn't seem like a good idea, and it's getting late in the year to hope too much for calm seas. Anyone have a trailer in the Maryland area that they would like to rent me? Have I missed any other options?

mbd
11-14-2007, 09:18 AM
Congrats and good luck! Maybe you can find someone willing to do the haul cheaper if you look around a bit?

Penokee
11-14-2007, 10:44 AM
Hey Thurman,

Glad you were able to work out getting #5 after all. Congrats!

I can recommend George and Denise at Cove Point Marine Transport. They know boats, and it will be George himself who'll do the move for you. He can move old boats, wooden boats, etc. In other words, he knows not to tie a huge strap to a tiny fairlead (don't laugh, it's not a given!).

As an added bonus, they have a hydraulic trailer that they'll use for "local" moves (i.e. Maryland and Virginia - they're in Deale, MD), which saves you needing a Travelift to load and unload (unless there's some peculiar reason you need a lift, or yard rules, etc.).

Of course you'll need to get a quote, but just to give you an idea, I had them move an Ariel-sized boat about 150 miles and it was under $1000. In conjunction, they moved a 30-footer about 25 miles, and charged $400. I did say when I called them that I was happy to wait until they came my way, but then your boat is pretty close to home for them.

Good luck with the move, and congrats again on the boat :)

Penokee

Hmm, I can't seem to get my "edit" to stick. What I want to add is the web address for Cove Point Marine Transport. Their website looks a bit like a "canned" starter page, but they are very friendly on the telephone and in person. I did play a bit of phone tag initially, but they were very responsive once we got going and during the move.

http://www.covepointmarineservices.com/contact.html

Tim Mertinooke
11-14-2007, 01:13 PM
I posted an ad from Craigslist a while back about a trailer that would probably move an Ariel/Commander. Craigslist has these types of trailers come up once in a while at decent prices (2-3k). Cheap trailers are like cheap outboard engines, no good ones exist. You have to drop some cash to make out in the end. If you can spring it, I would think the 3k you might drop on a trailer will more than pay for itself in the short term especially if you can launch via the trailer with a ramp. I have never met anyone who regreted having their boat on a trailer, even at a cost.

Here is one in Salisbury Mass where I keep my boat. $2700
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/478272887.html

Here's another in Maine for $2800
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/479508482.html

Here is another trailer for $1500
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/boa/485463247.html