PDA

View Full Version : Theis Health Note

Bill
03-16-2007, 06:32 PM
On the5th of December, Peter Theis (A-82 SOLSKEN) had a massive stroke. The good news is that he survived, but was paralyzed on the left side. Peter can talk, but being left handed, he can't write. :(

Last Friday he “escaped hospital incarceration and returned to what is left of home.” Peter is now in rehab and can walk with the help of a cane. Peter writes that, “Although I have not written off sailing, at this point, it still looks like a stretch. But, at least the aspiration remains. In spite of the temporary setback, my hope remains that I can return to a normal existence.”

We wish him a speedy recovery . . .

commanderpete
03-19-2007, 06:42 AM
Hey Theis! You're our resident expert around here.

I know you must be working hard. Good thoughts coming your way.

Here's a pic.

The rest of you guys should search around here and read some of Peter's stories, like this one

http://www.conservit.com/northchannel.htm

joe
03-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Best of luck to you. Remember, Sir Frances Chichester went and sailed around the world after having been diagnosed with cancer. He credited the lengthy remission of the cancer to his trip !! Go for a sail with someone around you !!:) :) :) :)

Marty Thomas
03-22-2007, 06:43 AM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery Peter!

SailorLiz
03-23-2007, 04:33 AM
Peter,

I hope you get better soon. I haven't been around here much lately as my life has been very busy with our move. If you need a sailing partner, I'm available. I'd love to go sailing with you again. We now live only 3 miles from Lake Huron and a refuge marina is there for our boats. I hope to bring the commander there this summer.

Take Care!

Liz

Tony G
06-28-2007, 10:43 AM
Holey cats! What's been going on around here? A guy steps out a couple of months to catch a few 'z's and the whole pace goes to heck!

Seriously though, I hope you are doing well, Peter. I think we all got the impression around here that you kept challenging your mind and that should help a great deal with your recovery.

Your stories about cruising the Great Lakes and your input on subjects has inspired me and pushed me through more than one road block.

French
07-15-2007, 01:01 AM
Good grief!
Peter, best wishes and prayers to you also. Others have come back from worse and sailed again. Hang in there!

epiphany
07-18-2007, 05:02 AM
Any word on how Peter is doing?

Bill
08-21-2007, 10:41 PM
We gave Peter a hail and asked about his progress. Here is Peter's reply:

Thanks for asking. I came perilously close to buying the farm last winter (10% chance of survival) so considering the alternative, I am doing damn well. I am in generally good health and in rehab three days a week. My left arm now works nominally and there is motion in the fingers. My left hand is my writing hand. I can walk now with a cane and have walked in rehab without a cane. It is a sobering knowing that any fall may be my departing shot from this world. I can still look at an attractive lady and smile, although I may not remember why and she may more laugh than smile. :D

I have not been on a boat this summer and won't do so until I can do so safely- including swimming at least with a pfd. Without my left arm I can' t safely climb a ladder or hoist a sail. I can't yet get down on my knees and then get up upon my own. But it is coming along - discouragingly slowly. Plans are to launch Solsken next spring with the help of sailing friends. Keep your fingers crossed. ;)

My biggest hurdle as to getting on a boat is that the Lake water level is low which means the angle of the ramp to reach the boat slips may be too steep for me to go down the ramp and possibly the return passage may be an even bigger hurdle. Perhaps this fall I may travel to Annapolis and use the tide to bring the boat to my level. :rolleyes:

Solsken looks very lonely in the yard. She apparently misses the action and like any mistress, requires at least occasional loving care and attention.

Your five fingered typist friend

ebb
08-22-2007, 08:06 AM
All the best to Peter.
The body can do amazing feats of refurbishment.
Solsken, whom Peter has done so much for
will return the favor.
Miss their input here on the Forum!

Robert Lemasters
08-23-2007, 06:07 AM
Get well soon sailor. You will sail again. I myself still have health problems that aren't quite over yet and I have enjoyed reading your contributions to this forum very much as I have many others. I haven't met any of the members here but feel that I know some of you all. Get well, do what the doctors tell you.

SkipperJer
04-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Theis,
Good to see you're back on the board. I hope you are well and back on your boat.

Bill
04-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Peter replied, but to the moderator. Here is his message:

I'm desperately trying to get back but am not there yet. At least I
am still breathing which is generally accepted as better than the
alternative. It is good hearing from you. I walk again with the
help of a cane. I have some motion in the left arm and some use of
my fingers. This past weekend I walked a mile through a park in only
two hours. The last time I tried it took four hours.As for news,I
have the gang assembled to launch Solsken in mid June. I won't be
able to sail alone, but hopefully will at least be able to spend a
warm summer evening on the Pond with friends sipping a cool one while
watching the world go by.The test for me will be whether I can cross
the lifelines, and climb over the cockpit coaming. And then can I
get down to the cockpit to sit on the bench Of course, I have to
succeed with the return as well.My wife, Madam NO, is convinced this
exercise will be a fatal so I need to be careful, I guess

Attached is a picture of me with friends and Solsken in South
Milwaukee cooking out during my better days (fall,2006)

Thanks again for writing.

Peter Theis

mbd
04-28-2009, 03:38 AM
God speed Mr. Theis! Lots of good thoughts coming your way. I'm sure it's been a lot of hard work to get back to where you are at this point - now it's time for the pay-off. We'll be looking for another sailing yarn on the board.

c_amos
04-28-2009, 05:25 AM
Peter, Rose and my prayers will be with you for your recovery. I am confident you will be able to get aboard, enjoy your sail! Craig

Tony G
04-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Theis is one of the original 'associationers'. He was there back when the forum was formatted like a class outline. Whoa! We've come a long way and I'm glad you're still here, Theis.

frank durant
04-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Your wisdom and experience is missed here.Prayers to ya...hope you do get back on the water. I miss your posts.....as we all do.

Bill
09-11-2009, 11:25 AM
A brief couple of notes from Peter. He's attempting to get back into sailing. Not an easy process, as you may imagine. Here's the beginning of the process which started last Saturday.

Day One:

On Saturday, we raised the mainsail. Tomorrow, hopefully, I will again board the vessel-carefully. With luck, some good friends and I will take her out for a sailing spin. It will be a stretch and require significant care to avoid busting my you know what or going for a dunking.

Day Two:

It couldn't have gone better. We had a nice breeze and a gorgeous day. Was out most of the afternoon returning just before sunset. Two friends joined me and helped. They took off the life line on the port side so I could just walk onto the deck adjacent to the cabin, while holding on to the shrouds. Stepping over the coaming was the first obstacle, which I did relying largely on the cabin top handholds. From there I stepped down to a stool and then on the cockpit floor and over to the bench seat. No acrobatics or near misses. My left leg joined in the party. No 911, no emergency room. “Mrs. No” was afraid to be there fearing the worse. But now we have a system and can do it again.

ebb
09-11-2009, 12:45 PM
That's fantastic!
Braced for the worst until I got here to the latest post.

Like the play on words:
Moving the life lines,
Holding on to the shrouds
Stepping over the coaming.
Into the cockpit.

Madam No doing her job really.
kicking Peter in the pants.
She probably made sandwiches!

c_amos
09-12-2009, 07:14 AM
Peter,

Congratulations! Your history of going 'where there may be dragons' continues! I appreciate your sharing your past adventures with us, and am encouraged to read that your adventures continue.

Looking forward to hearing more of your progress. :D

Craig

Theis
09-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Thank you all for your kind comments. The day sailing on Lake Michigan was a wonderful adventure for me, assisted by a couple of very much appreciated friends who helped convince me I could do it, and encouraged me to go for the gold and made sure I succeeded. Frankly, I didn't sleep much the night before, ruminating over whether my adventure was more bravery or stupidity. But it did work and worked well. the Ariel is a wonderful vessel for those that have lost some of their mobility. And she is so much prettier on the water with sails flying than forlornly sitting on a trailer in a boat yard ringed by other boats whose owners either lost their enthusiasm, suffered health problems or who have left us. Now the challenge is to get out a couple more times before this beautiful weather turns.

Bill
09-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Peter writes:

Shown at the link below are pictures of Solsken being launched, going down river and at dockside, with and without sail, Also shown are pics of me struggling to get on board. Additional photos soon.

http://torchlodge.com/solsken/index2.html

frank durant
09-12-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm sure the only thing better than us seeing you on your boat is you being on it. CONGRATS !! I was getting a bit worried as I scrolled down and saw you sitting there on a cell phone as beer was being had....but then a few pics later :) Great stuff !! Keep us posted.

commanderpete
09-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Way to go Peter!

Cheers to ya'