PDA

View Full Version : Trailer

jshisha
02-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Does any one know where I can purchase or rent a trailer for a Commander.
I am trying to get a Commander I purchased from Martha's Vineyard to Long Island and I am getting quotes from boat transportgers in the $2,00Than0 range.

If I have to spend that much money I might as well buy a trailer.

Thanks

mbd
02-08-2007, 05:28 AM
Have you considered asking one of the members to help you sail your new boat down to LI? It'd be a nice way to get acquainted with your boat. Maybe offer airfare and expenses or something - possibly cheaper than transporting or a trailer - just a thought. Maybe there's someone close by who could help? There's plenty of capable folks, even ones who've done it before.

epiphany
02-08-2007, 07:28 AM
Hi jshisha - Some thoughts:

Trucking it will probably cost you more than that quote, as well. The boat has to be prepped for shipping, and then all prep that has to be done in reverse at the destination. If you can't be there to do it yourself, you'll be paying the yard, and a guesstimate on that would be *at least* a couple hundred at each end...

How many water miles is it? Doesn't look like more than 200. If you can't find someone to sail it for free, a delivery would probably be a *whole lot* cheaper than trucking. Delivery captains charge $150-200/day for shorter term contracts, plus some expenses (transport to/from the boat, provisions, crew if needed, etc). That short of a distance, you should be able to get it delivered for $1K or so, I'd think. I imagine you'd have to wait a while for that though, unless you found a skipper who doesn't mind winter weather. :)

You could always make a cheap trailer: have jackstands welded to a flatbed. Find a used trailer for the right price and it might be as cheap as the delivery.