PDA

View Full Version : SF to halfmoon bay RT

French
12-18-2006, 09:01 AM
Greetings and Happy Holidays everyone.

It has been awhile eh, though not for everyone. ;)

I have a question I'm guessing this is the right place to post.

I know there are several Bay Sailors here and a couple or 1 comes from Santa Cruz. I'm planning a trip down to halfmoon bay this coming spring.
I was wondering how the sail is down and back. Head winds one direction? Port access in 1/2 moon? Tricky entance? anything would help.

thanks in advance

fair winds, dry bilges, and happy holidays :)

Didereaux
12-19-2006, 04:57 AM
If I understand it(from your subject line) you are in San Francisco(SF) and wish to get to half Moon Bay? Well, there are two routes that I know of.
1. Head south on the Freeway and hang a right a tad south of Redwood City.
2. Head out Golden Gate and keep going West until no land marks are south of you. Then hang a left and go southerly until you see a large indentation in the rocks, aim for the center and keep the radio on and tuned to the USCG work channel.

hehheh!
(jes kiddin)

Top O' the Season to you all,

French
12-19-2006, 10:01 PM
Maybe I should mention, my old Ariel will also be making the trip!

Didereaux
12-20-2006, 09:10 AM
French -> Maybe I should mention, my old Ariel will also be making the trip!

Ah, in that case #2 option will yield better results. heh

Seriously, I would drive over to HAlf Moon and Pacifica and talk to a couple of the boaters there. I do know the surf can be bad with a large low far out to sea especially in Half Moon. Local knowledge is your safest bet.

Top o' the Season, and best of luck,

French
12-20-2006, 10:06 AM
Ok thanks, that was something I was wondering about.

Jingle bells at cha...

RichardPearson
12-20-2006, 10:41 AM
French:

Here's my memories from a couple of SF to Half Moon Bay trips in the 1970's. Leaving SF, approaching the Golden Gate Bridge, the wind will be fierce, funneling directly in towards alcatraz and Berkeley. Mysteriously, just past the bridge, the wind will be much less. (No funnel I guess). Going down to HMB, the wind will be strong aft. The HMB harbor is actually called pillar POint, near the town of Princeton. check your charts, as the direct way in to the naked eye will take you over boat crushing rocks, you have to go south for a while and then come in to the north to find the harbor entrance. In the evening, it is always drizzly and drippy there, the decks will be wet in the morning. In the morning, there is apt to be a lot of fog on the shore, not clearing until around 11 or noon, with not much wind. Then the wind will come up, pretty strong from the NW, so you will be beating into it all the way to Ocean Beach in SF, where you will have light winds until under the GG Bridge, where you will get the strong funnel winds again.

Havde a good trip!

Ed Ekers
12-21-2006, 06:13 AM
Hi French,
I have made this trip more times than I want to recall. There are a number of key points that you should keep in mind but one tip I can offer is to time the trip with the currents. When I depart the bay I would always leave during the last hour of an ebb. This would allow me to go out the gate and make the turn left. If conditions were not what I was expecting I would be able to turn around and go back in with the building flood. Also I would always hug the south side if the channel (both in and out). The Potato Patch on the north side can be rough. It will not take you long to get there going but may be a rough ride coming home. If you have any specific questions let me know and will offer opinions that I might have…ed

French
12-21-2006, 09:46 AM
Thanks guys for the info. Just what I needed.

Rich: Are you still in Martinez? Is your boat there? I do not recall seeing any other Ariels there except Kuan Yin.

Happy Holidays guys, see you on the water :)

RichardPearson
12-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Hi French:

Alas I sold my Ariel, I kept it at Fortmans in Alameda. I still work in Martinez, but now live in Walnut Creek. Bought an Islander 28, it is at Fortmans.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all you faithful Ariel people, I still like to read your dispatches!

Richard Pearson