PDA

View Full Version : F.S.: Sad Ariel in N.J.

commanderpete
11-02-2006, 11:16 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1964-26-Pearson_W0QQitemZ320044347467QQihZ011QQcategoryZ63 730QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Vehicle Description

Make: Pearson
Model: Sloop

Year: 1964
Length: 26'
Beam: 8'
Draft: 4'
Location of Unit: South Amboy, NJ
Note: Insurance Salvage

Actual Condition
This boat was dismasted during tropical storm Ernesto. The mast and rigging was lost. It is reported that the boat did NOT sink.
NJZ41172HULL
HS

Dan Maliszewski
11-02-2006, 07:53 PM
This Ariel is Mind's Eye, and a few years ago she was the overall Club Champion at the Raritan Yacht Club. You read correctly - she was conned by a brilliant skipper, who sailed her beyond her rating and spanked many fine racers. She was passed down to another club member who did not race her, and she soldiered on as a cruiser. During Ernesto, she broke away from her mooring and hit the railroad bridge you see in the background of the picture. After slamming into the girders for a few hours, the 40 knot east wind forced her under the bridge steelwork and up the Raritan River, now shorn of her mast and rigging. She finally blew ashore onto a mud bank about a mile up the river, along with a few other boats, about thirty yards upland from the normal high tide line.

After a few days a floating crane was able to reach her and she was refloated and remoored, and some of her spars were recovered. She was refloated two boats over from my mooring, and although scufffed up a bit, she is very much alive and repairable. She is now on the beach in the same local boatyard as my "new" Pearson Flyer, with no visible structural hull damage. She is one tough Ariel, surviving a wicked storm that broke loose 11 club boats, sunk one (S2 9.1, never found) and destroyed six at that bridge, blew out seven badly furled genoas, dragged several moorings and damaged another dozen hulls, and left several washed up on the beaches and banks.

I sat in my pickup and watched helplessly as yacht after yacht was blown into that bridge, and gutsy local firemen and a few salvors dragged some of them away, but the wind just did not quit or let up, and the rescuers were forced back to shore. My former Ariel, #199, was moored in the same field, but her pennants were secure and she rode through that storm with her regal bearing intact, no damage at all.

I truly hope someone rescues Mind's Eye - this thoroughbred has earned a second chance.

Dan

commanderpete
11-03-2006, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the local knowledge Dan.

Somebody could pick this baby up for peanuts.

As an added incentive, I know where someone can get a mast for the boat. Free to whoever saves the proud old gal.

joe
11-03-2006, 06:03 PM
The free mast offer for Mind's Eye is one of those truly heart-warming, but all-to-rare gestures. If I had not just bought Sirocco, I'd snap her up in a heartbeat but it will take me awhile to recover (financially) from the whole unstep, load, transport, offload, mast step, insure, and relaunch. I go on to say very boldly to any of you out there who do not currently own an Ariel, fear not about considering saving Mind's eye, you can't get any tougher boat than these classic Pearsons, period. I wouldn't trade my lovely Sirocco for anything!

Dan Maliszewski
11-05-2006, 06:11 AM
Went to my yard yesterday and shot these. Ignore the date on the photos-digital misstep. A little glass damage on the stbd. quarter, some bumps and bruises, but not bad overall. She will float nicely - clamp on a motor and take her home. She is well equipped, laz plug, cabintop winches, great rudder, shoe and keel, backstay adjuster, etc. and she DID NOT SINK. Blimey. For the price of an Egg McMuffin you have a classic winning Ariel.

It's in a great yard, but getting crowded fast. I'm sure they will work with a new owner. I will even kick in a 15 hp evinrude that was on my #199 Ariel for a few bucks. Just please do not let this fine boat end up like the formerly pristine Catalina in the photos that follow this thread. Email me for more photos, info, etc., I live a mile away from the yard.

If the end comes for Mind's Eye, there are MUCHO parts and fittings that can be had, and it's all good. Speak now, before Davy Jones has at it.

My fingers crossed,
Dan

Dan Maliszewski
11-07-2006, 07:43 AM
Only one day left to bid, one dollar, before this Ariel will be seen no more. Nobody needs parts? OK....

Dam Shame,

Dan

epiphany
11-07-2006, 09:20 AM
I'd love to have some of those parts - the pulpit and pushpit look to be in great shape, and that is worth a couple grand right there, at least...

I called both the sellers and the yard she is in.

The yard said that they just don't have the room to store her - she was supposed to be gone from there 5 days ago. There will be a $5/foot charge to move her (on top of the auction amount) - either into the water (the girl at the yard said she is not floatworthy; I trust Dan's opinion more :) ), or onto a transporter.

The sellers are a broker for the insurance company, and won't reveal which company. They told me that if she gets broken up, she gets *all* broken up - parts and everything. Even when I offered to buy the parts should that come to be as a way to defray the insurance companies costs, they wouldn't even entertain the idea of salvage. AFA they are concerned, you either buy the boat, or it gets trashed. All of it.

That would be a waste. I'd hate to just keep her parts, but if that was all that can be done, at least it's less stuff being put into some landfill, and she would live on in some manner...

I hope someone saves her.

Dan Maliszewski
11-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Kurt,

As of 1500 hrs. today, I called the marina and the yard man (and me) all agree the boat is seaworthy. The insurance company pays the 5 days excess storage charge. Another option is to launch the boat into wet storage for the winter, which is $25/ft. including bubblers, and they have many available slips for that option at that marina. If you call and talk to them again, leave your name and number - they will help you nab Mind's Eye. Ask for Regina. Also contact me this evening.

Dan

Dan Maliszewski
11-11-2006, 07:13 PM
The eBay closing date has happened, with no apparent bids. Not sure what happens now, but it don't look none too good for this Ariel. Stay tuned....

Dan

mbd
11-15-2006, 08:28 AM
Dan, I'm afraid to ask... :(

Dan Maliszewski
11-17-2006, 01:40 PM
I talked to the marina today. Mind's Eye was "picked up by the insurance company and trucked out, don't know where".

Sad end to a proud Lady.

Dan

epiphany
11-19-2006, 04:50 AM
Sad end to a proud Lady.

Agreed. :(

commanderpete
01-03-2007, 09:34 AM
"Mind's Eye" still lives.

Boat is now located in Mendon, Mass. (508) 478 0200

http://www.yachtsalvage.com/Listings/YS062026.htm

Dan Maliszewski
01-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Not even Rod Serling could top this. How 'bout some Beantown members to watch her for us.... This boat is one tough monkey. Good eye, Captain.
Thanx for the update.
Dan

commanderpete
03-06-2007, 12:02 PM
"Minds Eye" back on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pearson-26-1964_W0QQitemZ320087987498QQihZ011QQcategoryZ63730 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have no idea why I look at sailboat ads.

Sometimes they're kinda funny. One on my local Craigslist today, it reads:

"sailboat 32' - $9000

full restored interior very roomy shallow draft fanilly gets sea sick must sell"