PDA

View Full Version : Ariel 205

Bill
09-08-2006, 02:26 PM
I just bought #205 on the 5th and she arrived here in Tulsa OK today at 10:00. 205 was built in 1964. I am the third owner and had a C&V survey done on the 6th and the surveyor said she was in exceptionally good condition for a 42 year old boat. About two and a half square feet of delamination, one and a half square feet of deck and one square foot of hull, plus a very small area around each of two lifline stanchions. He said that he wouldn't want to try tracing any of the wiring but that it must be pretty good because everything works.

Joe
S/V Irvalene Haney

commanderpete
09-10-2006, 06:09 AM
Ariel #205 is better known as the lovely "Sirocco"

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/showthread.php?t=433

You're a lucky man Joe.

ebb
09-10-2006, 07:27 AM
Congrats, Joe!
Say, if the deck damage and the hull damage are right next to each other, it could have been caused by another boat or a piling. If that's the case it would be very informative to see a photo here of that kind of accident. Have fun with the repair!

mbd
09-11-2006, 05:50 AM
Congrats Joe, you lucky dog! I couldn't get Steve to part with her last year. After being introduced to the Triton's beautiful Alberg lines by Tim L.'s Glissando, Sirocco likewise got me looking at the Ariels. Beautiful boat ya got there! Happy sailing.

joe
09-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the kind comments! I do feel very lucky. The delamination is in two different spots, and thankfully very small spots at that. I can certainly understand why Steve was so very reluctant to part with her as she is so very beautiful AND in such excellent condition. I had the significant pleasure of chatting with him for quite a while on the day that I became the very fortunate new owner. He is truly a lover of boats and the consummate gentleman. Also, he and I are both old Submariners. I even got a complete set of charts for the Chesapeake Bay area, which is nice as I intend to be there with her in 2008 or 2009 as a last provision and check point before she takes me and my dashingly handsome four-legged son to Ireland. Next year, in May, she and the boy and I will go to Hawaii for a couple of weeks but first I have to get her a windvane. The only drawback of course to said windvane is I wonder how it will end up looking on her graceful transom, not too ugly I hope :D
Her rudder was pretty dried out from two years on the hard, so this morning I knocked out a couple of rudder straps from quartersawn African mahogany just to give a little reinforcement as the rudder planks close back up. They're not very pretty but should do an admirable job. She is going back into the water tomorrow morning and she will get to spend the weekend sailing. I'm so excited I actually have a bucket full of butterflies in my stomach. I was cleaning her up a bit on Saturday and many members of my sailing club were out and I believe I will have no shortage of company as we sail around the lake :)
A few Bravos are in order. Jerri Hudson of J. O. Hudson boat movers did a magnificent job moving her. He was on time and obviously competent and though he normally transports very large and expensive yachts, he treated she and I both with the utmost respect and decency. Additioanlly, the folks at Whitehall Yacht Yard in Annapolis were terrific and a real pleasure to deal with. Lastly, Peter Hartoft and Gale Browning from Hartoft Marine Survey Ltd. were perfectly professional and a pleasure to work with.
Joe