PDA

View Full Version : ARIEL 290

JimN
08-30-2006, 06:35 PM
Hello all on the Pearson Ariel Association Forum! I just joined the forum, and am very excitied to have done so. My wife and I bought Ariel #290 about a month ago and just put her in the water last week. We had a ten hour sail/motor from Round Pond, Maine, to our home in Harpswell. My wife and I are both former professional square-rig sailors, and it was a delight to be out on the water again (14 years since I sailed professionally) It was the first real sail for our kids, ages 11, 8 and 5 and they loved it, so we are all in all very enthusiastic, and very happy with our little boat.

It's great to find this site and be able to share with others who have the same enthusiasm we are quickly developing for the Ariel!

Here's my question - I thought 290 was built in 1966, but I am seeing reference on this site to higher hull numbers with earlier years. Is there a way that I can find out what year my boat was built?

Thanks. I'll get some pictures on the forum one I get them downloaded.

Best,

Jim Nelson

www.jameslnelson.com

Adam
08-30-2006, 07:20 PM
Welcome Jim :)

I can't help you with your question, as I am newly an Ariel owner. I'm also trying to figure out when mine was built. I was certain that hull #50 would have been the first year of production (1962?) but on my registration, it says 1963...

Any responses (that are more informative than mine) should be interesting :)

Adam
http://www.svjourney.org

commanderpete
08-31-2006, 11:59 AM
Congrats Jim!

Could be inspiration for a whole new book

mbd
09-01-2006, 06:01 AM
Jim, welcome! We had a camp in Harpswell up until last year. Feel free to post some pics - we like 'em here.

JimN
09-01-2006, 07:56 AM
Thanks, Commanderpete, there's nothing like getting on the water for real inspiration. I'm thinking of a new book in which Isaac Biddlecomb defeats the entire British navy in his circa 1778 Pearson Ariel.

I'll try to post a picture here, as I try to figure out how it is done...

I'm not seeing the image on the preview, let's see if it appears on the post...

JimN
09-01-2006, 07:58 AM
Got the picture posted, but I guess I have to make the images a bit smaller.

Anyway, here is Paraclete in the shed with the boat movers loading her on the trailer. I'm the big goon with the beard.

mbd
09-01-2006, 08:04 AM
Aha! I was wondering if an Ariel for sale in Maine had snuck past me! :D

http://pearsonariel.org/discussion/showthread.php?t=1339&highlight=fs%3A+ariel

I looked at that one a while back when I was searching too...

ebb
09-01-2006, 08:18 AM
Captain James,
Awesome, great you're aboard.
Great boat there. Ariels really are great little boats!
She choose well it appears.

Jackhartjr
09-04-2006, 06:11 AM
Hi Jim, I was looking at #286, the title was said to be 1966 also, I did not see the title, however it the source was good. I had wondered about that too.
Good luck with your boat.
Jack
Have an Oday 22, will probably move to an Ariel in the not so distant future.

JimN
09-04-2006, 07:12 AM
Thanks for that intelligence, Jack. God knows I need all I can get. I am hoping 1966 is the right year. That way it works out that my boat and my wife that were both produced in the same year.

ebb
09-04-2006, 07:25 AM
Not by Carl???

JimN
09-04-2006, 06:03 PM
No, just the boat was produced by Carl, not the wife. She is from Phoenix and grew up as land-locked as one can get, but she ended up being pretty salty from about 18 on. Now we are proud parents and proud co-boat owners.

joe
09-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Congratulations on your new Ariel. I just bought #205 on the 5th and she arrived here in Tulsa OK today at 10:00. 205 was built in 1964. I am the third owner and had a C&V survey done on the 6th and the surveyor said she was in exceptionally good condition for a 42 year old boat. About two and a half square feet of delamination, one and a half square feet of deck and one square foot of hull, plus a very small area around each of two lifline stanchions. He said that he wouldn't want to try tracing any of the wiring but that it must be pretty good because everything works.

Sincerely wishing you the best.
Joe
S/V Irvalene Haney