PDA

View Full Version : Registration Use Deadline

Bill
08-22-2006, 03:52 PM
The number of questionable registrations on the board is growing. And some of them, as you are know, have turned out to be spammers looking for new ways to advertise their wares.

Consequently, a purging program is being instituted. If a member fails to post within a couple of months of registering, the members registration will be "blocked" forever :D

If you are a "legitimate lurker," you need to post something intellegent (I.e., something reasonable and relevant to our yachts). The management will decide if the standard is met. :p For some, this may pose a hardship, but the situation is getting tedious and I'd just as soon block everyone all at once. :(

The Management

tha3rdman
08-23-2006, 06:43 AM
Not sure that will help. Maybe a way of setting it up so that memebers under X ammount of time have to have their posts approved (moderated) makes more initial work for the management, but tleaves the "proven" posters unhindered in their discussion, and leaves the management from having to approve every post. Unless it's no big deal, there was another group (mailing list actually) I was part of (tesla coil) where the mod went through each post before it got redistributed.

The sad truth is they (spammers) are everywhere both of the street luge forums are frequently flooded with spam, to the point where it have become more of a Denial of Service then spam.

commanderpete
08-24-2006, 10:00 AM
I don't think it will help either. The spambots aren't going to wait months before they start spamming.

Its easy to tell who they are. Just copy the name into google and you'll come up with 50,000 hits.

On the other hand, we have plenty of legitimate people who register to use the search function, and then lurk for years without posting anything. Why ban them?

There is a forum for the software we're using. Be nice if someone could volunteer to look into it

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/

I'm busy heading the Visual Effects Dept.