PDA

View Full Version : hello and pictures of A-120

S.Allen
08-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Hello everyone,

I would like to introduce myself and my new old boat, Ariel # 120.

This boat had been owned by Jeremy (ElBeethoven) since last year. He brought it down from Maryland and started repairing the deck core issues, repainted the bottom, and did lots of other work on it. He became a colleague of mine this year and when he announced he was moving to New York City, I immediately asked about his boat.

We drove to Kill Devil Hills, NC on August 19 to look at it. It was apparent that Jeremy had spent much money and many hours already on the boat, but the deck repairs were not complete and there was still some repairs to make on the cabin top. We worked out the deal and she is mine.

Currently she is unnamed but was most recently "Dulcimer." Before that, best I can tell, she was "Parlay." I will work out her new name my upcoming cruise down to my home port at New River, NC sometime in the next few weeks.

Here are the pictures as she is now.
http://seallen.fastmail.fm/Picture%20009.jpg
http://seallen.fastmail.fm/Picture%20010.jpg

Best regards,

Scott

Hull376
08-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Well, good deal Scott. You'll find lots of folks on this board who are willing to give you all kinds of "free" advice on what to do to makeover these boats. They are sturdy, seaworthy, and with a little TLC can look great!

But spend at least as much time sailing as working on her!!

eric (deceased)
08-21-2006, 08:47 PM
with a little bit of imagination and very little additional hardware this can be used as an alternative outboard mount, thats what I did on my triton----but it was side mounted, and utilized a 2x4 on a rung for the mount.
necessity is the mother of invention

S.Allen
08-24-2006, 08:22 AM
with a little bit of imagination and very little additional hardware this can be used as an alternative outboard mount, thats what I did on my triton----but it was side mounted, and utilized a 2x4 on a rung for the mount.
necessity is the mother of invention

Thanks for the tip. I am going to update the mid-90's Honda 8 that is in it with a new outboard this weekend.

Next week I will start brining her down from Kill Devil Hills to New River. I am looking forward to that.

Regards,

Scott

ebb
08-28-2006, 06:10 AM
Not quite sure if we are on the subject of how one hangs an OB - but eric's 2X4 method off the side reminds me of Yves Gelinas who 20(?) years ago circumnavigated an Alberg 30 with his 9.9OB slung off the quarter on a 2Xsomething that pivoted off the rail.

Not sure about that as he cruised Europe alot. Seems like you'd have to unship the motor at sea. As you probably would if you mounted an OB off the stern of an Ariel. Thinking about that side-arm option: you'd use a 2cycle for sure (for lighter weight) with a short shaft so you could stow it in the lazarette.

His invention: the Cape Horn wind vane is still on the market.
He also 360ed 'Jean d' Sud' on his voyage - and both are still around to tell.