PDA

View Full Version : A testimony to well built boat

drm901
08-10-2006, 08:46 AM
As the proud owner of a 1966 Pearson Ariel (#392), I recently encountered the kind of weather that makes you glad they built these boats strong.

Some background: I decided to take advantage of a unique opportunity to spend the summer sailing my boat around the Great Lakes, primarily Lake Huron including the North Channe and Georgian Bay. Since the last week in June, I have battled engine problems and some severe weather - but nothing like a recent leg from Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada to Meaford, Ontario.

Winds were strong out of the NW 20, waves were forecasted for 4-6 feet. No storms, just a lot of wind and waves. Since I wanted to go SW, I decided to take the inside passage via the small craft route through the 30,000 islands area (that is pretty protected from Georgian Bay) and head down to San Souci, and Henry’s (and institution in the area). Then the following day I would get to open waters in nicer weather (according to the forecast).

As planned, I headed out at 1:30 for a 3 hour cruise (really is 3 hours) to Henry’s Fish Restaurant. (in the middle of the night, I kept singing that song as I sailed over the waves. Couldn’t get it out of my head!) Protected waters, so the strong winds and waves weren’t an issue. Today, as forecasted, they have moderated.

Got there and they were full up. No dockage available. Circled around for a while trying to decide what to do. I didn’t want to anchor out or I would miss the phone call. Plus most of it is all huge rocks – an anchor won’t have anything to grab onto. Decided to head for Penetanguishene, Ontario. Figured it was protected waters when I was half there (from islands, peninsulas)

Started that way and I couldn’t see the buoys – really important since there are a LOT of rocks just below the surface. And the waves were pretty bad since that 3 mile stretch is open to Georgian Bay – and the winds and waves were from that direction (NW). Turned around and went back to Fryingpan Island (where Henry’s is located). Cruised around looking at alternate dockage or anchoring. Started to go into the place next door, but they had big signs saying do no dock here. Decided again to head out, but made sure I had a good heading to stay within the buoys. Put on my Mustang jacket.

Had a few hairy moments when the winds and waves were not helping me keep the boat between 2 buoys only about 2 boats wide – and big rocks on one side if the boat got pushed by the waves too much. But no issues.

Got to the area that opens to Georgian Bay. A passing boat (the only one I had seen for last hour) didn’t recommend I head out, but they didn’t have any idea on where a good anchorage is located. That didn’t help much.

Headed out about 6:00 pm. Evening forecast was for the waves to back down to 2-4 feed and winds 10-15. Unfortunately, the forecast was wrong. Winds were 25 and the waves were 6, then 8, and then I think at least 10. Largest waves I’ve battled. I literally was powering up a wave with the stern in the trough. And they weren’t nicely spaced rollers or coming from only one direction. After 3 miles it continued to get worse and I considered going back, but it was only a little more (5 miles) before I figured I would get to more protected waters. And I was a little concerned about trying to get back into the very narrow channel with the wind and waves. I was pretty nervous with the waves cresting over near the bow and an off wave getting me from the side. Had one good wave over the cabin, and a few smaller ones, but I must say, I did damn good. And only had a few that got me from the side.

It was getting a little past sunset when I came to the area where I needed to change heading to get between, and behind, the islands, but due to the waves and not knowing the area that well at night, I wasn’t comfortable trying to make it between the island since there are shoals all around them. Decided to head for Meaford. It was on the heading I was on, 32 miles away. It was 9:00 pm. Nearly a full moon so I could see the waves. I called and set up an hourly check in with the coast guard. Figured if something happened I might not get a chance to call in with a good location.

At sunset the winds and waves picked up. Luckily, after an hour past sunset they backed down again. Started to see mostly 6’ers and only occasional 8’+ and winds were probably 15 with occasion gusts to 20. It then became a long, tiring motor. Only complication was when I wanted to get into the harbor. Their navigation lights are out! And the moon was hidden behind clouds (that had been occurring on and off all evening). I could see the masts, so I knew I was in the right place, so I motored parallel to the break wall until I could see their little (imitation) light house. Hoped I was in the right spot and turned in. Got it right and motored into a slip. Arriving 14 hours later – 3:30 am. Got to bed at 4:30.

That took a lot of the sailing out of me. Not sure if I’ll want to go out tomorrow. Good thing is I won’t be sailing for a week. That should allow me to recover some.

Boat really did great. Shows it can handle the big stuff. And the engine ran like clockwork. Good thing! I was thinking I normally end up with one sail like that one, just not as bad. I hope I’ve now got my one out of the way.

tha3rdman
08-10-2006, 10:30 AM
All that wave action, and where are the pictures? Just kidding sure there was a pucker factor involved, and the camera was one of the last things on your mind.

ebb
08-11-2006, 03:59 AM
Thanks for sharing that hairy story with us! By the short and curlys, mon! Need to brace with an ale to read it. Sheeeeeesh! green water, "a good one", over the cabin - rocks all around, no anchoring - an unknown harbor at night!!! You, Too Lucky! Take the sailor out of anyone!

Don't think I know that Henry's Fish Restaurant song? Is that the "Fish and Chips for Little Ships" one?

commanderpete
08-11-2006, 09:53 AM
That's a sure way to calm the seas--take a picture of them. Flattens them right down.

Good story. Thanks.

Carry on.

eric (deceased)
08-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Hmmmmm----the great lakes---never been there----never done that----but at far as the "well built" bhoaghte thing goes---what comes to my mind is that "Edmund Fitzgerald" story-----ya' kno----I wuz one time told this---therze lotsa "well found strongly built bhoaghtze----on the bottom"----to avoid this scenario---yazgotta kno' what yuzza doin-- :eek:

drm901
08-18-2006, 07:41 PM
I had to write this up to explain to my wife why I didn't call her that evening. The good thing about writing it up immediately is I didn't really have time to "color it up." I find it interesting to go back and think through what were the good decisions and what were the bad ones - so I can continue to improve my adverse condition decisioning. On this trip, I've decided I should have just tied up to the spare docks and waited for them to try to kick me off. Don't think they would have done it, given the bad weather.

I suggest others try it (doing a write up). I think it has made me a better sailor.

One other lesson is take care of the boat in the good times and the boat will take care of you in the bad.