PDA

View Full Version : Your Ariel/Commander currently in the dry?

Rico
07-17-2006, 09:13 PM
Does anyone know of an Ariel/Commander that is currently up on the dry?

I am looking to have a trailer built and need to take certain key measurements for the keel rest & contoured hull supports as required by the manufacturer.

If anyone knows of a boat that is in the dry preferably in the San Francisco bay area I would need to spend about 30 min with it (at the most) to get what I need.

Alternatively - I guess that the original drawings would come in handy for this data, but I do not have access to any other than the little ones in the manual. Do original (scaleable) copies of these drawings exist in someone's Pearson collection?

Thanks,

Antonio

Bill
07-17-2006, 09:18 PM
On page 156 of the appendix to the manual there is a drawing of the factory cradle for the Ariel/Commander hull with measurements.

ebb
07-18-2006, 02:35 AM
Antonio,
338 is on the hard at the San Raphael Yacht Harbor ("Harbor Center") just off 101 at 557 Francisco Blvd East in Sab Raphael. It's sitting fairly level.

If you are driving from the south, as you approach San Raphael you'll be coming down an incline, skip the first exit. You'll be going along a flat stretch where there are businesses along a road that immediately parallels the freeway. That's Francvisco Blvd East in there. Take the next 'downtown' exit, turn immediately right at the light onto 2nd, Turn right at the next street (Grand?) which becomes Francisco Blvd East. You'll be heading back the way you came. After a couple/3 car dealerships. look for the 'Harbor Center' sign on the left and a used boat dealer (sailboat masts). Head for a couple orange cranes in the back. 338 is under a grey tent along the back edge of the parking lot. Come on by!

Rico
07-18-2006, 09:06 AM
Thanks EBB!

What luck! - Great news! I'll be there later today to take a few measurements.

Bill,
I have now found the cradle drawings. Thank you. The trailer manufacturer wants more detail though. I will use this as reference. I'm sure the builder will incorporate into his database. I will document this for the group's future reference...

mbd
07-18-2006, 09:30 AM
Antonio, Ebb has been so stingy with pictures lately, how about snapping a few pics of the top-secret A-338 project while you're there? I'm sure we'd all appreciate seeing the progress! :)

Rico
07-23-2006, 11:38 AM
Well, I have to admit that there was some impressive work going on there...

Unfortunately, I was in a bit of a rush in getting the measurements and I did not even have time to even have a proper look.

Ebb - I took my measurements using the aft transom edge as a baseline - have you modified this area of the boat in a way that would chage this dimension?

Neat mod on the transom BTW!

Thanks again.

Antonio

ebb
07-28-2006, 02:48 AM
Antonio,
Good! No, have not changed any dimensions below the sheer.
Except as you saw, the slot in the transom. Also faired out the keel forward of the rudder, and it came out a bit fatter than original. That couldn't make any changes in a cradle. While the boat is quote level, I know you noticed that the tarmat the boat sits on is NOT.

There are some rough cradle plans on the Cape Dory site. One wood, and a metal one incorporating jack-stand screws and pads for a CD26 or 27 (pretty sure that's an Alberg.) Interesting.