PDA

View Full Version : Ariel 18 (another RI ariel in long term storage)

bill@ariel231
07-17-2006, 05:17 PM
Just like Ariel 409 at New England Boat Works, there is one more Ariel in RI that may benefit from a new home (maybe this posting will flush out an owner)...

Here's Ariel #18 in storage for at least the past 6 years at Sail Newport (http://www.sailnewport.org):

bill@ariel231
07-17-2006, 05:43 PM
want to find her on a map? ... She's at Sail Newport, 60 Fort Adams Drive Newport RI:

Jack
07-18-2006, 07:38 AM
Any idea is Sail Newport is inclined to sell this beauty? I am in Newport and have been wanting an Ariel for about a year now. Since my wife and I just had a baby a few months ago, I think a bargin boat is the smart way to go right now. Something that is "sailable" but needs some work is what I am looking for. It seems like the baby fits the bill if it is for sale.

bill@ariel231
07-18-2006, 07:46 AM
Jack

I don't know. I suspect in the case of both #18 & #409 some detective work can get you to the current owner in the case of #18 and maybe someone willing to write a bill of sale in the case of #409. From Sail Newport's website, there is an agreement that unpaid bills for storage will result in a boat being auctioned off. When I last saw "Exodus" listed in the newport paper, the asking price was $6k (that was 6 or 7 years ago). I expect she would actually go for much much less than that... (who knows for a "good home" she may go for the cost of storage).

happy hunting,

Bill

Jack
07-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Bill,

Thanks for the info. I will swing by there this weekend and see who I can talk to. I have even ran it by the wife and she wasn't completely opposed to the idea.

This would be pretty exciting. My grandparents were the original owners of an ariel. I am trying to find out which hull number they had to see if I can track down its history.

Jack