PDA

View Full Version : Other Yachts

ebb
03-03-2004, 08:40 AM
The A35 is my holy mackerel!, too. And an Ariel29 I would love to see!

Exterior shroud plates require some aesthetical considerations - as I don't think the Professor designed any of his yachts with plates on the hull - not even the backstay. He was pretty clear on the concept.

The practical rendition of the Pearson thru-deck plates leaves a lot to be desired IMCO. The originals are mounted straight up in the cabin but on deck the wires are pulled inward. Add to that, the 8" plates 338 had, the top bolt went thru the ply at deck level. I didn't DO anything! This is another reason why the original plates cannot be caulked.

Exterior plates would be mounted so the pull on the bolts would be square and in sheer. Caulking would be a problem but the solution would be fixable.

To be "engineered" correctly, the plates of the fore and aft lowers shouild be canted off perpendicular in line with the mast attachments. Pointed inward - a little. [But if you're a foot and a half away from the hull under a tent and there's no mast to sight on to anyway - how little?] The upper shroud plates, port and starboard, are perpendicular to the waterline. I have seen exterior plates mounted all in line on some boats - for aesthetics? What's best?

The thing is, if you arrange the plates at the 'proper' angles they will detract from the sleek lines of the Ariel. I guess that is what holds me back. Wonder what a side-on shot of Geoff's Uhuru would show. If the plates were bronze rather than stainless they could be painted with the hull.

Other futzing IMCO would require tapering of the plates and champhering of the edge. Would require square holes for the carriage bolts plus the polishing. And some pre=bending to the hull. A lot of work. Plus pretty much guessing at the mounting angles of the lowers shroud plates.

Only ebb would think of this: The stem fitting, as you know, sits in a molded in depression. Now if the plates were done the same, even a 1/16" depth, it would go a long way to waterproofing the fittings on the hull.

I may have talked my way out of it. Again.

Bill
02-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Try the search button. . . not sure anyone has modified that aspect of the standing rigging.