PDA

View Full Version : Boat In A Box

Bill
04-19-2006, 10:36 PM
Container Yachts of Middletown, RI will launch the first cruising yacht designed to be container-shipped. The Far Harbour 39, a 39-foot motorsailer designed for a cruising couple, will fit into a standard shipping container so the boat can be transported economically to cruising destinations around the world. The concept is suited to those boaters who are long on cruising dreams and short on time.

Container Yachts selected Robert H. Perry, the Seattle-based naval architect known for many notable cruising designs, to execute the concept. Perry started with a strict parameter, in terms of the boat's maximum length and beam; he ended with a pilothouse design with strong performance characteristics and cruising comfort.

The Far Harbour 39 has a 7.4-foot beam, to fit into the confines of a shipping container that measures 40 feet by 8 feet. The boat is designed to be loaded and unloaded using standard boatyard equipment. The cost of shipping a container is a fraction of what it costs to ship a yacht of similar size. The routes for shipping yachts are also limited to certain ports and the schedules are rigid, but containers can be shipped at any time, anywhere in the world. Check out their Web page:
http://www.containeryachts.com
[Not sure it’s fully operational, but clicking on the blank lines made things happen.]

eric (deceased)
04-20-2006, 07:01 AM
I am trying to imagine a walk-in closet that is 7.4 feet wide and 39 feet long.that has got to be a tipsy vessel---way to narrow for its dementions---I believe the ariel is wider than that--- :eek:even so ---I would not put a boat in a box----

Tony G
04-20-2006, 07:03 AM
This 'container' concept must be catching on.

http://www.celebrityyachting.com/prod_2.asp

Maybe it's an attempt to attack from the inside...

eric (deceased)
04-20-2006, 07:14 AM
If I got that un'er my cris'mus tree---in my case I would NOT have more fun with the box---is the box included????what about wrapping paper? :Dand the postage stamp----soon itzgunna b a buk fora' stamp ya'kno'

eric (deceased)
04-20-2006, 07:22 AM
you buy a bota innabox,ya havit shipped cuz'yer afraid of the dark---then the container falls off the ship---and it sinks.can you say "america's funniest home videos?" :D