PDA

View Full Version : Win Free Bottom Paint

commanderpete
05-24-2002, 10:24 AM
Win a gallon of Micron CSC bottom paint. Never been opened. Color blue. This is the good stuff. Multi-season ablative paint. Retails for $150.00 a gallon.

Contestants must post an essay (three words or less) on "Why I Love My Boat."

Bill
05-24-2002, 12:37 PM
Does the winner need to pay shipping?

commanderpete
05-24-2002, 01:18 PM
Nah, except if I have to ship to some foreign country, like The USVI.......or California ;)

Bob G
05-25-2002, 05:19 AM
"BECAUSE IT'S MINE"

glissando
05-27-2002, 05:00 AM
Here's my contest entry:

In three words or less, why do I love my boat?

"I saved her!"

Tim

commanderpete
06-04-2002, 07:39 AM
Due to the overwhelming response, I'll be closing the contest next week. Winner to be announced next Monday.

Keep those cards and letters coming. :p

S.Airing
06-04-2002, 11:35 AM
I NEED IT!!!!

S.Airing
06-04-2002, 04:46 PM
PLEASE SEND MONEY(Ill take the cash prize)

commanderpete
06-10-2002, 10:01 AM
The panel of judges spent many hours carefully reviewing all of the entries.

Bob G.'s and Steve's entries certainly appealed to their twisted sense of humor.

But, Tim's entry touched the romantic side and won the day.

Tim, shoot me an e-mail at commanderpete200@aol.com with an address and the magic elixer is yours.

S.Airing
06-10-2002, 11:46 AM
I think this contest was rigged!

commanderpete
06-10-2002, 12:07 PM
Should have offered me the beer and grilled chicken earlier.

commanderpete
06-10-2002, 12:25 PM
Look what Tim tried to bribe me with.

Maine Lobstah

glissando
06-10-2002, 02:41 PM
Wow!

I'm honored and humbled to have won the prestigious contest. Thanks!

Tim

Bob G
06-11-2002, 09:08 AM
Congratulations, Tim.

c_amos
08-03-2005, 06:11 AM
I went to purchase a can of the 'TEMPO clear ablative' spray paint that has been keeping my outboard barnacle and slime free.

Can't seem to find it anywhere:confused: One shop said they thought it had been taken off the market.

Has anyone come across a secret stash>?

If not, what are you using to keep your motor clean? (I know of the 'bucket trick' aka the 'sailbag trick' but I sail most every day, and really don't want to have to fiddle with the bag/bucket.

THanks,

commanderpete
08-03-2005, 06:35 AM
Yeah, haven't seen it lately either. My old can is nearly empty.

Good stuff. Melts the skin right off your arm. Burns your eyeballs out.

I hold my breath spraying it even with a respirator.

c_amos
08-05-2005, 01:45 PM
I called TEMPO, and confirmed that you can no longer purchase this paint.

The good stuff contains something called.... tct(?).... this is being banned because it works too well.

Being the great supporter of the EPA that I am, I decided to make sure that NO one in my area was ignoring this ban. The 9th place I tried had two dusty kits (primer & paint) on their shelves, so I decided to confiscate it immediately.

Of course, they made me pay for it before forking it over...... I will make sure it is disposed of properly...... Only in accordance with the label. :D

c_amos
11-14-2005, 06:28 AM
I've been in denial for too long.

When Herb painted the bottom, he used red epoxy bottom paint, and overcoated with blue ablative (good idea IMHO). I dive and scrub the scum layer off every couple of months, but lately that has included the removal of more and more barnacles, and I am seeing the red patches that tell me it is time. :eek:

Helped a friend bring his departure 35 down to the yard for haul out yesterday, and decided I really need to bring 'Faith' down haul and re-paint the bottom.

His 35', full keel boat took about a gallon a coat, I am wondering how much paint it has taken some of you to roll on a couple coats of ablative anti-fouling on your Ariels?

c_amos
04-12-2007, 07:01 PM
FWIW,

For those who may search for the answer to the question;

am wondering how much paint it has taken some of you to roll on a couple coats of ablative anti-fouling on your Ariels?

I used a gallon of Petit Horizons to roll on 2 full coats and most of a third with a pint or so left to touch up the bottom of the keel where the blocks are.

ebb
04-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Help me: Petit Horizons is an ablative and sloughs off in one or two seasons. It's easy to recoat because it disappears and the hull washes clean. But the hauling fees are way out of sight these days.

Petit Trinidad is an epoxy that costs $30 more a gallon but lasts two to four seasons, as I've heard. After loosing its effectiveness it eventually has to be sanded off. How many times out to recoat can you recoat without sanding, does anybody know? It will require the same obscene hauling fee PLUS the NASTY time it takes to prep the hull again.

Looks like hauling fees are a major consideration in deciding which type to use. Wonder if it makes any difference actually if a winning racer has soft or hard paint?

It's good to know A/Cs are a one gallon bottom.

And doing two colors is a great idea.

I'm assuming that regular ablative repainting is an easy job. How hard to sand is a leeched copper epoxy bottom when it just comes out of the water? There ain't nothing worse than sanding the bottom of a boat.

Why not put ten coats of ablative on at a time and avoid hauling?

How do you decide???

c_amos
04-13-2007, 06:03 AM
FWIW,

I was pleased to see how well Herb's bottom job held up. I believe the boat had not been out of the water in 5 years, and other then a couple places, the bottom paint had held up pretty well (mainly where the hull had touched bottom).

The red patches where the epoxy paint showed through were small, and I was able to simply remove the dirt and paint over the remaining ablative paint.

I choose Horizons since it had the highest couprous oxide % for the price (I bought it last year, this may not be true any longer). I went with ablative, knowing the hull had been stripped last haul out and still had some ablative paint.

A tip I got from a friend of mine that worked out well was to use dry wall sand paper to 'wet sand' the paint while it was still wet from the pressure washer. It worked well, and kept us from breathing paint dust.

ebb
04-13-2007, 07:01 AM
Craig, Fantastic!
Not only does that 'paper' come as a fiberglass sanding screen but the drywallers have a handy clip-on holder for the stuff that has an articulated head and a pole handle. The yard pros use it. Can get a twist-to-adjust telescoping pole for luxury scrubbing.:D

Would guess that after power washing and taking down any remaining ablative while still wet with the screen that it provides adequate tooth for the new coat of bottom....
Pretty simple prep.

How many times have I seen pissed off blue faced people emerging from behind plastic tarps in the boat yard?!

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________
Petit Trinidad is about $210 gal
Petit Horizons about $160

frank durant
04-13-2007, 03:16 PM
FWIW...different temp water does make a difference on 'what paint is best' but after painting revival with Trinidad and cruising all winter in the Florida and Bahamas she didn't even need to be hosed off at haul out...GOOD paint !!