PDA

View Full Version : Original Pearson Hardware

Bill
01-09-2006, 03:31 PM
NOTICE: At last! We are in contact with the fabricator who has acquired the Rostand patterns for the hardware used on early Pearson yachts. The company is preparing pricing for us on the large window frames, small opening ports and the tiller head fitting. We are asking for prices in bronze, but they will cast in aluminum. Finishing can be from "raw" to completely polished, and they will do chrome. Other hardware will be priced later as requested.

As soon the company responds, we will publish the pricing information and the necessary contacts. We're first in line here, so get your orders ready before this stuff gets advertized in the boating mags.

mbd
01-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Way to go Bill! Here's hoping the prices are a bit more resonable than some of the other hardware fabricators I've been running across lately...

Does this mean I should hold off on ordering that tiller head replacement from the association? :)

bill@ariel231
01-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Bill

bravo!

bill@ariel231

Bill
01-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Does this mean I should hold off on ordering that tiller head replacement from the association? :)

Umm, yes, I think so . . . :rolleyes: But remember, we have the bearing that goes under . . . :)

mbd
01-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Ummm, yeah. And do you know what else is so nice about this group? When you say something stupid, you don't get shot down. You see, Bill could have easily said, "Yo dumb***! We sell a Rudder Post Bearing, not Tiller Head replacement! What, are you numb from the cold up there, or just plain numb? Sure, it's it's in the same general location, but come on..."

Now, if only I'd hit the "search" button and looked for "rudder bearing" I'd have come up with this thread: rudder bearing source (http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/showthread.php?t=260&highlight=rudder+bearing) or this one: cutlass bearing (http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/showthread.php?t=771&highlight=rudder+bearing) or even this one: Rudder Bearings (http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/showthread.php?t=406&highlight=rudder+bearing), among others - or, I could have taken a moment to re-read the Ariel Association home page (http://pearsonariel.org/) and seen that it was indeed a Rudder Post Bearing that I am in need of, not the tiller head...

What a group! :o

c_amos
01-09-2006, 08:11 PM
great job Bill!

Look forward to some price info to decide, but thinking about some new window frames.

ebb
01-10-2006, 07:27 AM
Mike (#5) sez it:
These forum has a great civility and humor and patience about it!
I've tried a couple others, I think in an effort to get into MINUTA I'm addicted to, but leave soon after signing up.

In each case I had joined a forum that seemed to be run by a club of posters with attitudes (not everyone). The most frequent posters (im-posters?) had no uncommon knowledge at all, and just sat on the site like a murder of crows. Kind of OWNED it with caws of bs.

Pretty obvious enduring Ariel/Commanders attract a superior human family.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________

Excting news about the small opening ports that I had the priviledge of taking apart on 338. They are precision jewels of beautifully proportioned aluminum art. Wonderful if they could be translated to bronze. They have many pieces and would be expensive. Might have a wider market than the Ariel because the alternatives are either plastic or clunky navy pattern stuff.

Be interesting to compare the bronze 231 deadlight pattern with the Ronstan. The aluminum lights 338 came with are imco much too light and flimsy. All of a sudden having possibly two patterns of bronze deadlights to choose from is pretty close to unbelievable.

The aluminum on the A/Cs lasted as long as it has because it was cast from the proper alloy (Almag). Have to watch these repros!

skylark
01-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Will they have parts for Pearson yachts other than the A/C? I have a Vanguard as well as a Commander and would be interested in parts for both, as I'm sure other Pearson owners would be.
Fred

Bill
01-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Will they have parts for Pearson yachts other than the A/C? I have a Vanguard as well as a Commander and would be interested in parts for both, as I'm sure other Pearson owners would be.
Fred

Fred, I passed on your Web page URL and your E-mail contact to the fabricator, so expect to hear from them in the future. :) And yes, they have the Rostand patterns for everything the company made for the early Pearsons. As noted, we will publish the price info on the above noted hardware. I'm pretty sure that all of it was used throughout the Pearson line, including the Vanguard. The Ariels got the aluminum frames and the Vanguards got the chrome bronze . . . :(

CupOTea
01-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Hey Gents -

Cup O Tea never made a splash last season but lots of work got done. Will post pictures of the hull including new rudder soon as possible.

Couldn't have done it without all the great information and support from everyone here.

My new rudder cries out for a new tiller head fitting - already received my new bearing. I'm wondering if there is any news or progress on the Pearson parts fabricator.

Bill
01-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Excting news about the small opening ports . . . Wonderful if they could be translated to bronze. . . Be interesting to compare the bronze 231 deadlight pattern with the Ronstan. . . Have to watch these repros!

#76 has the small opening ports in bronze (purchased from the original company). It also has the fixed frames in bronze. They were cast by Caroll Herrington using the Rostand patterns. Check 'em out the next time you visit.

mbd
01-11-2006, 10:20 AM
Bill, I just searched for a Gallery for #76 and couldn't find one. What's up with that? :(

Bill
01-11-2006, 11:48 AM
Bill, I just searched for a Gallery for #76 and couldn't find one. What's up with that? :(

Maika'i is spread amoungst other posts . . . :rolleyes: Mostly traveler and track stuff.

Bogle
01-19-2006, 08:46 PM
Any source yet for replacement commander fixed window frames? Those sure would look nice in bronze...

Bill
01-19-2006, 10:19 PM
Any source yet for replacement commander fixed window frames? Those sure would look nice in bronze...

We need the dimensions of the frames. Can you (or another Commander owner) please supply them?

Bogle
01-21-2006, 08:55 PM
I can measure and supply the dimensions, but it will be a couple of weeks before I get back to the boat to measure. Thanks for asking.

CupOTea
01-22-2006, 06:08 PM
Are we just talking window frames here from the fabricator - what happened to the rumours about tiller head fittings - only rumours?

Bill
01-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Are we just talking window frames here from the fabricator - what happened to the rumours about tiller head fittings - only rumours?

Patients. We are getting information on all the hardware. It's taking some time because they are working out the pricing on new (to them) merchandise.

If you whish to be one of the first to receive this information, be sure we have your name, address and yacht number on file. Just E-mail me the data requested on the registration form.

Bill
03-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Things are getting close and we should have the pricing information very soon. We will let you know when the newsletters are mailed.

Bogle
03-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Do you still need Commander window frame dimensions?

Bill
03-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Do you still need Commander window frame dimensions?
Thanks, no. Commander Pete supplied the information.

Bill
03-14-2006, 05:36 PM
The January edition of the newsletter is in the mail and it includes the source and pricing for the Pearson hardware originally made by Rostand. There are still a few items that have not been identified and cast, so we don’t have all prices. We’ll keep after it and let you know when we do get more information. The company also noted that their prices could fluctuate a bit due to the market price for bronze.

As noted before, the Association was their first "customer" asking for prices on the Rostand hardware. We are holding off on posting the information to give Ariel and Commander owners a chance to contact them before the "rush" of other Pearson skippers. :)

If you do contact them, please let us know your experience. From our initial contacts, they seem to be very conscientious and interested in pleasing their customers.

Howard
03-17-2006, 07:18 AM
I did not get that info/issue. Can you PM me contact info as I would like to replace window frames. Anybody using tinted replacements?

Bill
03-17-2006, 08:02 PM
FYI - Forgot to note in the newsletter, but the price for the large window frames includes the necessary fasteners.

Bill
04-03-2006, 04:52 PM
From Appendix -B-
Ariel - Commander Yacht Association Manual

REPLACEMENT OR SUBSTITUTE HARDWARE AND EQUIPMENT SUPPLIERS

Although most of the original suppliers of hardware to Pearson are gone, there are several sources available that can provide original, or acceptable substitute hardware and equipment.

Historical Arts & Casting, Inc.
5580 West Bagley Park Road
West Jordan, UT 84088
TEL: 801-280-2400
FAX: 801-280-2493
www.historicalarts.com

Historical Arts acquired the patterns for Rostand Manufacturing's hardware. They are producing deck and cabin hardware for the Ariel/Commander and other early Pearson Yachts. 2006 prices for some of the hardware found on the Ariel/Commander, Triton, etc. (sorry, does not format well):

#52 Bow Light $ ?
#54 Side Light $ ?
#56 Stern Light $ ?
#? Window Frames 17 3/4" x 5 1/4" (7/8") $ ? (Commander)
#120 Window Frames 11" x 23" $ 220.00 (Ariel, Triton, etc)
#10 Oval Opening Ports 3-7/8" x 7-5/8" $ 525.00
#1114 Tiller Fitting 1" $ 210.00
#2160 Bow Chock 6" $ 35.00
#2139 Stern Chock 5 2" $ 62.27
#2143 Four Hole Cleat 6" $ 30.00
# Four Hole Cleat 8" $ 48.00
#2554 Ice Box Fastener 4" $ 85.00
#2174 Hasp $ ?
#2068 Scupper Strainer 3" $ 24.00

All hardware available in satin bronze. Chrome bronze and aluminum available at extra cost. All items are produced on order. Please allow eight to twelve weeks.

Bill
07-15-2006, 10:50 AM
Historical Arts & Castings has an ad in the July/August editon of Good Old Boat on page 73. General info, nothing specific.

Interestingly, the ad headline is "Rostand Custom Grade Marine Hardware" and there are two logos at the bottom of the ad. One for Historical Arts & Castings and the other for IYRS, the marine college that was originally negotiating with Herrington for the patterns.

coffmanb
07-16-2006, 09:43 AM
I am looking at page 71 of the 2006 July/Aug edition of GOB. The only ad I see is by Hamilton Marine. Is that the one?
I am currently boatless, but my father in law has a Triton and he always needs something for his boat...

Bill
07-16-2006, 01:04 PM
I am looking at page 71 of the 2006 July/Aug edition of GOB. The only ad I see is by Hamilton Marine. Is that the one?

No -- it's on page 73 :eek: I'll edit my earlier post . . .

commanderpete
03-14-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm wondering if some of the hardware from the Ensign boats could be used by us.

The parts list is here

http://www.ensignspars.com/parts

The drawing on pg. 150 of the Manual says that the Ensign used the same boom as us.

A complete gooseneck assembly is only $89

The large Electra ports look like the ones on the Commander ($95 with glass)

They also have a tiller head and stem head that might be the same.

Might even be a source for a whole new boom if they can make you one a bit longer

They have pictures of some of the parts in this movie. Takes forever to download

http://www.ensignclass.com/Parts%20movie.mov

bill@ariel231
03-14-2007, 06:34 PM
The leading edge of the stem fitting is shorter than ours by about 2 inches. could be made to work with a bit o' glass work.

The tiller fitting is something I'll be looking into. Mine's seen better days.

I've see the large electra windows up close in club races. they look spot on to fit the commander.

bill@ariel231
03-19-2007, 09:51 AM
I've traded a couple of emails with Zeke Durica at ensign spars.

the tiller parts are interchangable with ours being drilled for 1" rudder shaft. As a result I'll probably break down and get one...

His ensign chainplates are to use his description, "1"X 1/8" thick X 10" long. They are 5/ 16 hole on the top and 3 3/8"s holes at the bottom up 3/4 inch 2 3/4 and 4 3/4."

I haven't had time to make it to the boatyard to compare to A-231s. aside from ours being drilled for a 3/8" turn buckle how close are these to the original drawings?

commanderpete
03-23-2007, 07:21 AM
Page 153 of the Manual has a chainplate schematic.

Looks like 3/16" thick bronze and 8" long.

The spacing for the bottom 3 holes seems about the same as the Ensign ones, but you would have to cut off the top and drill a new hole.

Schaefer also sells chainplates, which would also need some modification even if the hole spacing matched.

http://mauriprosailing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SCH8488&Category_Code=SCHCHAPL

http://schaeferhardware.com//SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=227

Since these are 1/8" thick, you probably also want new chainplate covers.

Might be better to buy some bronze or stainless strips to match the old chainplates and drill your own holes. Mcmaster Carr should have it.

commanderpete
03-26-2007, 09:07 AM
Checked my chainplates. They're not like in the drawing.

First hole is about 2 1/4" up from the bottom.

Holes are 2 1/4" on center (not 2")

commanderpete
06-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Various parts for sale

1) spreader base

2) Pair of 6" cleats. These have the barrel nuts to mount on the coamings (if needed)

3) Pair of clamshell vents

4) Parts from jib track

5) Sail chafe protectors

6) Standup block and base

7) original phenolic swivel base w/ single block & becket

8) harken swivel cam base (needs block)

9) 2 double and 1 single phenolic block

Price is free (tax and shipping included) Send me a message