PDA

View Full Version : Ariel #392 (1966)

drm901
01-04-2006, 05:35 PM
A few shots of our interior, which has been altered from original.

epiphany
01-06-2006, 07:26 PM
drm -

Is she new to you, and/or did you do the work on the inside? I'm wondering if that is wood or a laminate, up against the bulkhead? If it's wood, it must be either very thin, or did you replace the bulkhead with planks? Also, what kind of wood is it? Last, something that can't be seen in the pictures - does #392 have diagonal braces on the forward side of that main bulkhead? I ask because your boat was produced around the same time as mine (30 boats before). "Katie Marie" #422 does *not* have diagonal braces there, nor is there evidence that she ever did, and so far she's the only Ariel I've seen without them... Mike/mbd - what about #414, does she have them? Maybe the Portugee didn't feel like putting them on when she was going through the shop... ;)

Sorry for the many questions. :D

mbd
01-06-2006, 08:38 PM
...does #392 have diagonal braces on the forward side of that main bulkhead? ... Mike/mbd - what about #414, does she have them?
Nope. I've been thinking those braces were the exception, not the norm.

Bill
01-06-2006, 10:24 PM
Nope. I've been thinking those braces were the exception, not the norm.

This appears to be another case of higher numbered hulls having some "improvements" not found in lower numbered hulls. Ariel's under #200 (or maybe higher) have the braces. Another example is the long first step up from the sole in the main companionway ladder - which is also something found in the higher numbered hulls. Lower numbered hulls have equally spaced steps.

drm901
04-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Kurt, finally saw your questions. I've owned the boat for about 10 years. I think I'm the 3rd or 4th owner, as best I can tell. We done some work on the interior (redid cushions in the v-berth, painted inside hull in both cabins, added similar paneling on the fore side of the bulkhead, added a pedestal table (see oak table sitting on the starboard cushion)).

Repairs have included rebuilding mast step (see article in newsletter), new stuffing box, shaft, regulator, spongy starboard deck core (notice we did it from the bottom up - starboard picture).

Remaining repairs are to paint the original laminate you still see exposed, and rebuild the area around the sink better. And would like to redo the cockpit lazerettes - so they aren't one big mess. (was thinking something like I've seen on Sabre)

The boards on the bulkhead, locker, & drawers are solid. They are attached to the bulkhead, not a replacement for it, and about 3/4" thick. Not sure what the wood is - and as you can see there are several types. I think some is mahogany & I know some is oak. No diagonal braces.

The main cabin makes into one large bed using the back cushions. Four 1"x12" pine boards fit between the sides - dropped into place & held up with 3/4" board that runs the length of the side seats.

The steps to go out of the cabin to the cockpit are high to accomodate the Volvo diesel inboard. The pulley just clears the step. It is my understanding the 1st owner installed the engine.