PDA

View Full Version : A-50 Revival

Bill
12-21-2004, 10:44 AM
Canadian, Frank Durant, purchased Ariel #50 and "hopes to re-configure the galley, build a better ice box, and some how have a hand held shower that drains in the v-berth area." Frank is a confessed "boat nut," and currently owns a 1964 Folk Boat he’s restoring, a 1986 "Shark-24" for the "cottage" and a 2002 Beneteau 331 swing keel that is currently docked in the Bahamas.

"I LOVE Alberg designs and instantly fell in love with the Ariel when I first saw pictures!" Frank hopes to " . . .semi retire in 2006, sell the Beneteau, keep the Shark24 at the cottage for the summers and the Ariel in the Bahamas for the winters. These ARE beatiful boats!"

Frank asked that we post the following "before" photos of the boat. He promises to follow up with photos of his remodeling progress.

Bill
12-21-2004, 10:45 AM
Another view

Bill
12-21-2004, 10:50 AM
Another view

Bill
12-21-2004, 11:05 AM
Another view

Bill
12-21-2004, 11:17 AM
Another view

Bill
12-21-2004, 11:38 AM
View another

Bill
12-21-2004, 11:38 AM
Another to view

Bill
12-21-2004, 11:40 AM
and again . . .

Bill
12-21-2004, 11:45 AM
Next view . . .

Bill
12-21-2004, 11:47 AM
Number 11 . . .

Bill
12-21-2004, 11:47 AM
Inside with #12

Bill
12-21-2004, 11:48 AM
Inside with #13

Bill
12-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Inside with # 14

Bill
12-21-2004, 11:51 AM
Inside with # 16

Bill
12-21-2004, 11:51 AM
Inside with # 17

Bill
12-21-2004, 11:52 AM
Inside with # 18

Bill
12-21-2004, 11:52 AM
Number 19 . . .

Tony G
12-22-2004, 08:22 AM
Frank,

Yes, these are beautiful boats. And, you're not nuts what so ever, in any shape or form. Having only one boat seems as unnatural as asking me to have just one beer. Heaven forbid!

A shower in the v-berth? You bet. One thing I've noticed is ingenuity runs rampant in this forum. If you really want it, it can happen.

It looks like you allready have a post production drain added to the aft of your boat. What's the story behind that?

Tony G

frank durant
12-23-2004, 09:15 AM
Hi Tony BEST of the season you ya. The "drains" you speak of are 2 factory "scuppers" on either side of the cockpit side deck. I noticed #50 has different cabinetry above both settees also. Could it be the early production models had things that were later dropped ?? The drain at the base of the keel was owner installed , I presume to allow any deck leak water to run out during storage. The decks are now re-cored and everything re-bedded so NO MORE LEAKS!I will post pics of the cabinetry when I figure out how to get pics posted. take care Frank

Bill
12-23-2004, 03:37 PM
Frank, A-50's "cabinetry above both settees" is custom by some previous owner. Ditto the companion way door, the cover on the chain locker and the deck scuppers. Early boat's scuppers were 1/2 inch leading to above the water line through hull fittings. Not real efficient. Later boats had one inch scuppers, but in all caes, as the hull laminate saturated, hardware was added and gear got stowed, the low point usually moved aft . . . leaving the scuppers forward of the point where water tends to collect when the boat is docked. :( Filling the water tank and moving gear forward (& storing the ob on the cabin sole) will help.

frank durant
12-23-2004, 04:12 PM
I know companionway door and anchor locker cover are not factory but I do believe the "different" shelf arrangement above the settes is from the factory. I have carefully inspected it and can NOT find any evedence it was an "add-on"...it all ties together. The deck scuppers appear to be original..as you say with 1/2" drains. Don"t know enough to make an opinion on them. I will post better pics as I learn how. Merry XMAS to ya ...Frank :

Tony G
12-23-2004, 07:21 PM
Jeeze, Frank, no hard feelings, but I hope you're wrong about the side deck scuppers. Otherwise I got jipped. We have hull #113 and there is no sign of nice clean looking scuppers like you and some other fleet members have. I've got big, ugly holes in my boat.

I don't know if trust a plug in the bottom of the keel. It seems unnatural to me (and I'm such a natural guy). But I do recall rain water migrating from inside the bilge to the rudder shoe when I first brought her home. Hmm, maybe I'll have to go against the grain on this one.

frank durant
12-27-2004, 05:04 PM
Tony G The scuppers as I call them? are the same as the ones posted in the pics of "sirocco" in "gallery". As to the plug in the bottom of the keel.....I felt the same as you , but then remembered that literally ALL power boats have one. I have heard of sinkings by forgetting to put the plug in , but not from plug failure. Even so , I will epoxy around it to ensure it will NOT come out and will install with plumbers tape for a water tight seal. After I got used to the idea .... I now think it worth while as no water can collect in the bilge in my absence while in storage. #50

Bill
12-30-2004, 08:01 AM
Another couple of views of the interior --

Bill
12-30-2004, 08:02 AM
And . . .

Bill
04-13-2005, 02:25 PM
Frank asked that I post photos of his latest acquisition. His new boat offers many amenities that we all crave -- including a master cabin 70 feet off the water. . . :eek:

Bill
04-13-2005, 02:26 PM
Of course, any ship worthy of owning will have a decent bow decoration . . .

Bill
04-13-2005, 02:27 PM
And to fend off those pesky PHRF racers, there is also a gun deck :D

Bill
04-13-2005, 02:34 PM
Frank works on his boat in a very friendly yacht as this sign attests . . . :p

Bill
04-19-2005, 07:14 PM
Remember those earlier photos of REVIVAL? Well, here is what Frank found on the inside :(

Bill
04-19-2005, 07:16 PM
And, what it looked like as he removed all the stuff. Note the pile in the cockpit. Must be something there he can sell on eBay! :)

Bill
04-19-2005, 07:20 PM
As I get to post these photos, we shall begin by examining some intersting technology . . . an engineer's delight . . . The head :eek:

Bill
04-19-2005, 07:21 PM
And, check out these pipes ! Frank says that there are four 1-1/2" and one 1-2/3" hoses going up to the deck -- and four (4) Y valves! :eek: :eek: Maybe Frank will tell us all how this works . . . :confused:

frank durant
04-20-2005, 05:36 AM
Bill .. if I could tell you how all that worked I would have needed to graduate from Harvard. The guy who installed it must have just bought shares in the hose manufacturing company.....or possibly the company making the plastic 'ties'. There was honestly OVER 60ft of hose total and had to be 100 ties !!! While I have NO doubt this system could ' slice,dice and do julian french fries ' I just couldn't figure it out. All joking aside , you could pump head to tank , head over board and tank overboard......I just couldn't find the instructions. The big attraction to the Ariel was the pleasing lines and simplicity of sailing a small boat.....so ...45ft of 1 1/2 hose , 98 ties and 3 Y valves later I have a simple system again. Guess I should have got that engineering degree !! Frank #50

Bill
04-20-2005, 03:57 PM
Frank has been busy remodeling REVIVAL. Here is his "varnishing rack" for the trim. That piece with the holes will show up later on the maincabin side of the strongback.

Bill
04-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Here is the new "self draining" anchor locker in progress . . .

Bill
04-20-2005, 04:00 PM
Here is the completed look. Note the new hatch cover. It was shown earlier on the varnishing rack . . . Frank says to note the storage below . . .

frank durant
04-21-2005, 06:34 AM
Bill .. I stole the anchor locker idea from the triton site. Frank #50

c_amos
04-21-2005, 06:55 AM
That is a cool mod Frank.

How much chain do you plan to carry? how much higher would you estimate that shelf would make the chain?

I like the mod, and would think it would be a good way to 'segregate' the chain locker. I plan to carry more chain then I really want to use on a regular basis. Maybe the regular rode (mine is 150') with 30' or so could ride on the shelf while the remainder is laying at the ready below, with the spare anchor and other stuff that could get stand to get wet every once and a while.

frank durant
04-21-2005, 07:12 AM
I carry 50ft chain and 150 rode there. I have a further 100ft chain in a bucket in the bilge (ballest) if needed. The lower erea should not get wet. The 'shelf' drains forward and overboard and is 'glassed' in . I'll let you know if it works out in practice like in theory.

Bill
04-22-2005, 09:09 AM
Frank has plans for the ice box area. "Can't belive how easy these came out . . . NOT!"

Bill
04-22-2005, 09:15 AM
Frank installed a 5-Day cooler, plus 1" foil covered foam on three sides, plus two cans of spray foam. Should be a very efficient cooler.

Bill
04-22-2005, 09:19 AM
Jobe completed. Note the 1x3x12 inch board next to companionway. This will swing out with a CP150 chart plotter attached for viewing from the cockpit. Frank thanks Siraccco for the idea.

frank durant
04-22-2005, 11:04 AM
I'd like to thank Bill for taking the time to post these for me.As you can see ..even putting the correct date on my camera eludes me. Would also like to thank sirrocco's posting pic's for many insperations...you'll see more stolen ideas later.PS..the cooler has a hose hooked up that will gravity drain the water.

Bill
04-22-2005, 06:31 PM
Frank has figured out how to have TWO double bunks on his Ariel. Here is the base for one in the cockpit. He claims it's the best bed on nice nights.

Bill
04-22-2005, 06:33 PM
Frank also has a double bunk in the main saloon. Here are the filler boards in place. He's also recycling former V berth foam and cloth. (Note the shower sump glassed and painted with 3/4 pickup not yet screwed down.)

Bill
04-22-2005, 06:34 PM
Here's the mockup for the cushions in the main double berth. (Note the grate on the shower sole.)

Bill
04-22-2005, 06:41 PM
Here's the completed shower. The curtain is on a flexible track (from Boater's World).

Bill
04-22-2005, 06:48 PM
Here's the forward bulkhead in the main saloon before . . .

Bill
04-22-2005, 06:49 PM
Here's the same view after Frank has given it his special treatment. . . . :) (Note the curved board with holes from the varnishing rack.)

frank durant
04-22-2005, 06:55 PM
Check Kent's curtains on 376. His daughter picked his out. I was alone on a working vacation doing this ...mine are 'boring' , so I promise to post pics of the 'new' curtains my girls pic out. . PS....Tony G...there it is...the shower..it's sump goes to an inside bilge pump. The pump has a y valve to the bilge also ,so either the shower sump or bilge can be pumped out from below.

Bill
04-22-2005, 06:58 PM
To add to the comfort of REVIVAL, Frank is installing a Ship's Captain's table. Wonder if it will have a green felt cover . . . :confused:

Bill
04-22-2005, 07:00 PM
Guess no green felt -- appears to be varnish. Looks like you can leave the table up and just close one leaf to have access to the main hatch ladder.

Bill
04-22-2005, 07:07 PM
One of REVIVAL's holders for the new tanks. New seacocks to come . . .

Bill
04-22-2005, 07:08 PM
Here's a 20 gallon tank installed. Port aft seacock is for raw water to sink.

frank durant
04-22-2005, 07:27 PM
That hose at the front left of pic on the 'cup hook' is for draining the ice box

c_amos
04-22-2005, 07:42 PM
That brightwork on the bulkhead really is nice, as is the other work you are doing. Looks great Frank,

I have that 'queen size bed' option as well. I love it, and recommend the mod highly.

I do like the idea of the cockpit bunk. Do the cushions from the main cabin fit it as well?

frank durant
04-22-2005, 07:52 PM
no...I'm getting cockpit cushions made .The larger center filler will double as a forward std side bunk cushion.

frank durant
04-22-2005, 07:58 PM
The filler cushions in the main cabin will double as backrests and arm rests when not in place for the double.Makes real cozy reading corners both sides

ebb
04-23-2005, 07:26 AM
Frank,
GORGEOUS! Absolutely first class. Genius.

I'm having trouble finding a place for the hot-tub, should have run it by you! :D

Could you please give us a photo demo of your settee to double bunk setup?
Oh, and what brand is that white stuff you have everywhere? Nize.

Tony G
04-23-2005, 07:52 AM
Frank,

I went all the way back to page one and viewed the transformation as a slide show. That's one great looking redo! The shower is a fantastic idea. I was originally planning on just using a spray bottle in the cockpit, then Aussie Geoff's installed cockpit model came along, but, modesty prevails in your installation. We'll do come sizing up for an 'inside jobbie' here for sure.

The galley! Did I not spout off about a U-shaped galley way back when? :D Bam! There it is! I LIKE IT! A draining cooler. Simple and efficient. Nice little drop in storage behind it. The table is a great addition too. I always keep trying to locate one on the main bulkhead but never like it there. You may have struck a new chord.

The shelved anchor locker is cool. We'll keep our ears tuned to find out how the drain works out. It sure looks different now compared to when you bought her.

Those humongous berths are great. Inside and out! The v-berth/forward cabin is pretty much the head/storage area anyway, don't you think? I mean, would you want to sleep in the roomy, well ventilated main cabin or crawl into the v-berth? The cockpit berth would be the ultimate...on the right night. Here in the Land of 10,000 Lakes (that's 10,000 mosquitos per boater :mad: ) we'd surely need the dodger, bimini, leecloth, screen porch option. (Which I fully intend to make)

Frank, that's one sweet, little boat. How long did it take you to do all of this? Did you do everything right there in the yard or work at home too? I may complain some, well, ok, alot (the wife will verify this) about never getting to work on my boat, but, one nice thing is I get to see the changes other make and gain insight and inspiration from them.

Bless you soul for taking pictures, and Bill's for posting them. Keep 'em coming! Tony G

Bill
04-23-2005, 10:26 AM
Frank installed new thru-hull seacocks in ALL places (bronze holding bolts to come).

Bill
04-23-2005, 10:29 AM
Hey Ebb, Frank found 5/8" to 3/4" thickness on #50. Photo was taken a month before the hull thickness discussion (tech forum), just for Frank's own edification.

Bill
04-23-2005, 10:31 AM
And here, Frank found the bottom of the hull to be 1-1/8" to 1-1/4" thick when he drilled drain holes. Finished repairs with five layers of cloth and West epoxy.

Bill
04-23-2005, 10:50 AM
For those who have asked, here is Frank's "workshop." :rolleyes:

frank durant
04-23-2005, 12:13 PM
He Tony G ...cockpit showers are OK...but in a crowded anchorage on a cool night...well..modesty did prevail. I started wanting a SIMPLE boat with a good ice box,double bunk and inside shower.I did add other things for off shore..this boat WILL be a gulf stream regular.The seacocks,2 eyes for safety harness,extra cockpit drain.bilge pump in cockpit-ext mount-no lifting settee to access,inside bilge pump ,extra deep reef point in main and reef point in jib.This work took my entire holiday. The day I tarped it was the day I started home.Remember , I live 2400 miles from my boat !! It took 19 days...most were late ones , working alone with real 'basic' tools.I did have my "ideas' before I left and even pre-cut a few pieces...they didn't fit!

mbd
04-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Frank - beautiful! Really! Did you paint the topsides yourself as well or have it done?

frank durant
04-23-2005, 08:49 PM
Mbd...the topsides were painted.A little history.....#50 was derilect and abandoned a Brewers boat yard in LI NY.She had soft decks but decent sails , so their painter took her on as a personal project.He did the decks and paint . He sailed her for a couple of years until a real windy day and his wife and new young son put an end to sailboats.One thing to another and I bought her.The inside and systems had not been done .The name 'revival' was her redemption from the crusher...now the "revival" is getting closer to completion.The message here.....don't let old Ariels go to the crusher.....they are special and can not be replaced. Anything new that compares is $90000 plus !!

commanderpete
04-25-2005, 07:49 AM
Truly Spectacular

Like to hear more about the cockpit drain (and everything else)

Bill
04-25-2005, 08:25 AM
This photo is titled: "Former sump pump drain connected to cockpit."

frank durant
04-25-2005, 10:46 AM
I fire up the computer at work and it shows the 'cockpit drain' question message ...by the time I pull up the Ariel site..Bill already has the pic posted !! Blew me away !! Are you looking for a job Bill ??? The through hull was already there and above the waterline so rather than glass it over , I made it into an additional drain.Put another layer of cloth/epoxy around the rudder shaft tube while I was down there.

frank durant
05-10-2005, 02:36 PM
# 37 complained of a 'soft cockpit floor'. Picture #68 shows the glassed in strips run for and aft. Had they run side to side I think all our cockpit floors would have been a lot less 'springy'. I imagine all Ariels suffer from this unless Pearson changed how they supported them on later models.I glassed in a 1x3 from side to side near the drains and found it helped a lot. #50

ebb
05-10-2005, 04:34 PM
The cockpit deck has a transvers piece of 3/4' plywood with the center scrolled out (an inverted 'U') jammed in underneath about halfway along - that works like a bridge. The longitudinal ply strip stiffeners make sense that way. When I took it out the sole did become springy. That strange simple funky piece of afterthought did a lot of work there. You can see it in a number of photos. It shouldn't be taken out unless you are going to upgrade.

I think 338's originally may have had a couple pieces of matt and goop holding it in place. Had a couple pieces of ply under the legs against the hull acting as wedges. It was loose when I got the boat. But it knew its place, could always knock it back.

I remember seeing it under Geoff's cockpit in one of his shots. #11 in Ebb's you can see a leg. Everybody's must have this brace

as it is the only thing that stablizes the whole bloody cockpit.

Take it away and you'll be surprised one day to find out what 'integrity' is all about. :D

mbd
10-24-2005, 05:36 PM
Hey Frank - are you headed to the Bahamas in Revival this winter??

frank durant
10-24-2005, 06:26 PM
I plan on it.Right now I'm a little worried as revival is real close to 'wilma' in central Forida.I've got new hull mount chain plates made up,a dodger,main cover and jib bag,cushions covered etc and I plan to go down approx Nov 16 to complete things.I'm bringing the standing rigging home with me in early Dec. to have it replaced(afraid to have it made off of book measurements just in case) I'll go back down in mid Jan. to install the rigging ,step the mast and sail #50 for the 1st time in 32mths of ownership.CAN"T WAIT !!! A couple of shake down sails and we are off to the Abacos until early April.Can't waite for that either.Seriously cosidering paying the 27% duty and keeping her there.Would be TOO easy to fly right there and be exploring day one of holiday.

mbd
10-24-2005, 06:47 PM
Sounds great! I'm especially interested in your "hull mount chain plates". Personally, I think they sound very practical, easy to inspect, and look very "shippy" to boot. Keep the pictures coming!

ebb
11-03-2005, 07:46 AM
Frank,
Remember your Pink Pearl, don't leave home without it! :)
You're at the boat, I believe, installing outboard chainplates. We may have had discussion about this event on another thread. I'm preparing 338's while you are actually doing it.

What are you doing about the main bulkhead. Aussie Geoff's are installed on the aft side. My figuring puts the new location at least 1 1/2" back of its original position. Upper shrouds are on the centerline of the mast. Are you going to move the mast base aft? (My measure says the mast goes off support from the beam, in it's designed position it's only half on the beam.) If not. what is your observation?

All the chainplates aft to avoid the bulkheads and not moving the mast means maybe using Kurt's method of solving the offset by connecting the tops of the new plates with a bar and attaching the shrouds back to the bar in their designed position. Have you another way?

Figure the wider spread is about 3"OA - will the existing rigging still fit?

Aesthetically, are you going to tilt the plates on the hull to line up with the shrouds? With the number of bolts we put in lining them up parallel would be more spiffy and given the small angle, arguably just a strong.?? Gonna bend the tops in? Much easier if them all have the same bend. And if the Kurt Bar is used the loads are further shared by being interconnected. Which might be the settling arguement for having the six shroud plates all perpendicular to the waterline.

In fact the bar would allow the plates to be attached to the hull in their most convenient location. Bar adds unwanted weight and shroud attachments on any cantilevered location would be dangerous. This begs that the forward lower plate be located forward of it's original position. This would allow all rigging connections to be inside the ends of the kurtbar. Sure would like to talk this thru till it got clear!!! Like for instance, what loads are put on the bar? What section would it have to be? Corse I always make things more complicated!!!

Recording this event for us? Hope your weather cooperates!

frank durant
11-04-2005, 11:38 AM
Ebb I'm not back to the boat until approx the 18-19th of nov. I plan on copying our Aussie friends plates. I favour the 'keep it simple-stupid' approach...being of lessor intelligence and failing patiance. I will post pics as I go. Picked up the new cockpit cushions etc yesterday...they look great.Hope they all fit as my favorite sail/cushion maker is up here so he never actually saw the boat...just a piece of paper and my measurements.It's the 'my measurement' thing that scares me.

frank durant
12-02-2005, 07:26 PM
The work erea was full when I got down to #50(storm boats)...so not much will happen until Jan 15th/06.No power or water available as I putted around , but managed to get a few things done anyway.It was nice just to get back and see her.Back home here for Xmas-newyears ..then back down...launch...Bahamas.I'll post a few pics of the lil bit of progress this trip.These are 'tarp taken off' but no water to wash.

frank durant
12-03-2005, 01:45 PM
This shows the cockpit filler in place to make a nice double for those warm breeze evenings

frank durant
12-04-2005, 05:52 AM
Here's a great little 'fold up' 12w charger that stows super small and easy!!Bought in Canada @ a "Canadian Tire' store...don't know if available State side ?? I simply tie unto the sunny side cabin hand rail and plug into the lighter socket on the electrical panel

frank durant
12-04-2005, 06:03 AM
here it is unfolded with attachments

frank durant
12-04-2005, 02:17 PM
Here is where I decided on for the ext. pump.I can comfortably hold the tiller with my left hand and pump with the right.The handle goes down flush 'out of the way' when not in use.Notice where I put the water fill....not normal , but WAY easier to fill standing in the cockpit than on a side deck !! And easy to rig a drain from the bimini to fill with rain water there too. PS...don't mind the dirt...water wasn't available when I took these pics.

frank durant
12-05-2005, 04:50 AM
Set in my 'recycled' V-berth cushions as backrests.Makes 2 great little corners for reading.I installed the lights so they would also be in the right spot to read. The oil lamp is actually lots bright on its own.

French
12-05-2005, 09:16 AM
Another excellent job!

frank durant
12-05-2005, 02:38 PM
A pic of the port side shelves

frank durant
12-05-2005, 02:41 PM
port settee locker

ebb
12-05-2005, 03:50 PM
Frank. you sure knows bout Revival!
Nice job bringing her back. First class.
What a fine fleet happening all around here.
Really makes it fun.

Start a thread on time management. ok? :rolleyes:

Have you tried out that Plastimo yet?
Have just ordered their Contest 130, and noticed the innovative pump.
They also have a ladder in a bag that looks like a good safety item.....

Skol!

frank durant
12-05-2005, 06:13 PM
Yep Ebb...I dumped water into the bilge...good excuse to clean out the dust.I was impressed with the speed and ease.This is the smaller 1in. model ($89.95 @ west) Not sure about the 'ladder in a bag'...I've never had luck ,even when much younger, boarding using a flimsy type ladder.

frank durant
12-05-2005, 08:02 PM
pic of stbd settee/shelves

frank durant
12-05-2005, 08:08 PM
stbd settee locker

frank durant
12-06-2005, 02:15 PM
Lil rack for the Sony

frank durant
12-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Here's the double set up

mbd
12-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Dang Frank! I mean... wow. You must be getting sick of these comments, but damn! Soooooo fine! Keep 'em coming! You're an inspiration.

Where do you store you cockpit double cushion and other pieces? Under the cockpit? Have you done anything creative with that space yet? :p

frank durant
12-06-2005, 06:36 PM
I use the V-berth as a garage.Port side has coats behind the bulkhead and the bunk filler boards and table forward.Starboard stores the cockpit cushions.The big center cockpit filler allows a single up there to stbd when needed. PS.. Under the cockpit floor is my watertank..shown back a few pics. Port cockpit locker has life jackets,fenders,docking lines and 2 complete sets of dive gear..tanks,BC's,wetsuits,fins etc.Both Judy and I are certified.Stbd cockpit locker has spare anchors,boat hooks,poles,fishing gear,BBQ storage,extra headsail and lots more room.

bill@ariel231
12-07-2005, 03:06 PM
Frank

Cool boat, In one of your pictures I saw what I took to be a frame for a dodger. Do you have any pictures of it in place?

Bill

(p.s. I'm jealous of your climate down there, the weather machine at the airport near me is reporting 13 KT gusting to 21 KT @ -3C with snow on the ground) :)

frank durant
12-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Don't be too jelous of the weather...I'm back home here in Canada until mid January.Approx 4in snow on the ground and snowing as I write this.Temp is about 8 deg.F. I don't have a pic of the dodger on.It is made up but not installed yet.I'll post pics of it as soon as its on.Kinda scary....I made the pattern up myself...hope it works.Gotta tell ya...231 IS beautiful!!! Nice carpentry. Much time and love is apparent!! I'm always in too much of a dam hurry.

ebb
12-07-2005, 05:21 PM
'n I guess that ain't yer first onboard pressure cooker baked new york cheescake on the cushion there in image #91 - 'mm, no -

so it must be the Hot Seat.

a mini lavac

simple is simply the best.
You have a right on un complicated, uncompromising way of solving the space problems, the apparent space problems, an Ariel has.

There's a raft of minuta that the use of the builtin sitz shower will create. Or do you propose to stand in the hatch??? Would like to hear what have to say on that issue.

I've invented (in my mind) a 'shower' that would be set up under the companionway. Essentially a tube of soft transparent vinyl CONNECTED (velcro?) to an appropriate pan that would have two levels to collect the grey water and pump it into a waste tank or overboard. Or dump it after. There isn't much room for this here either, but the top could be an open ring like the traditional shower rings over bathtubs of old. Collapsable, of course. The shower? A s.s. garden pressure sprayer set up in the galley or out in the c'pit that would be charged with hot water and fitted with a sprayhead in front of an on/off valve. In the contorted ablutions of ritual wuzu (I insist on a longhandled brush to scrub my back) the bridge and other furniture could be leaned on ( propped and soaped in the soft tent) to get at that leg and what have you. Probably kill myself!
Get a lot of ideas that are all wet.

frank durant
12-07-2005, 05:42 PM
I'll show a pic of what you see there Ebb. It IS a cooker. As for showers...I favour sittin down on a boat...on #50 it is with the lid down on the head(back up to pic#46).I suppose ya could technically stand there with the forward hatch open.I use the 'garden pump spayer' concept too, with a modified head.What ever ya do Ebb...remember the flexable shower curtain track I used...easy to use and fairly cheap.Got it @ boaters world. Could easily bend it in a circle!! When I did my shower sump..I put a Y-valve to the pump-showersump or pump-bilge so either could be pumped from below.

frank durant
12-07-2005, 05:56 PM
There's the 'pressure cooker' Ebb. Its a forspar gimballed stove.Installed it there for several reasons...1- let out the heat 2-handy to use to heat up coffee etc from the cockpit too 3-still allows access to steps 4-keeps counter clear for charts. I have a portable single burner stove for at anchor that sits where the chart erea is,but gets put away when sailing.I stole the 'LED light' idea off someone here a while back.The red setting on the lil light is perfect for night time sailing and chart work.I bought the lil forspar coffee perculater to fit the stove...haven't tried it yet but it should be a nice addition. PS the lil stove comes off its mount in 2 seconds to store away

frank durant
12-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Heres a better shot of the lil light.It tilts and changes from red to white light..great addition that is supposed to be super easy on batteries(again..I stole this idea off this site). The lil cutlery divider was almost an afterthought.Put the hinged piece on so you could 'lock things in' while heeled over

Bill
12-07-2005, 06:33 PM
Hey bill@ariel231 - there is a nice dodger already on the board. Do a search using the word "dodger" and you should find it.

ebb
12-08-2005, 08:34 AM
I really envy you, Frank. Bon Voyage, then!

I've noticed this leaning toward putting the stove 'above the counter'. Interior shots of small euro boats will have a two burner high up. Jim Baldwin has a kerocene burner also hanging. I like it. It demotes the big box range to small cabin reality. Was thnking of making a cave for my k. stove low down, but you have convinced me to put it on the bulkhead.

Course you're ready for the cheesecake, while I still have to make the bloody gimballed casette for the petromax. sigh

epiphany
12-08-2005, 09:46 AM
Hi Frank -

T'was I who mounted a little LED there on my electrical box. It does work quite good. I'm still looking at other low-consumption light sources.

For Christmas a couple years back, my Ma gave me an LED light that I'd like to find another of - it's a single LED mounted on an approximately 10-12" long flexible conduit/neck which comes out of its battery box. It is powerd by 3 AA's, being a single LED I expect that I'll get several months of light off of the batteries. The flexible neck allows the LED to be pointed anywhere - I'd love to find an implementation of this elsewhere, and be able to wire it straight into the house bank.

Another good source that is already made for 12V is a small 8 watt fluorescent that I found locally. I have seen them in Kmart for US$10 (I got lucky, found mine on closeout for $3 - 2 from Boaters World and 1 at Big Lots). It is a light that is supposed to be powered by 8 AA"s, which works out to 12V. I did wire this straight into house power, and it has been my main cabin light for 5-6 months already, performing flawlessly. I've figured it's power consumption at approx .6A/h, and it does light up the whole cabin. You can get 12V 8 watt marine fluoros at West, but they cost about $70-80. They're "marine", ya know... You do need to disassemble the domestic, non-marine model and solder some leads from the battery pickups to attach to house wiring, but it is a simple job. Knock on wood, I haven't had to change the bulb yet,and I use it for at least 25-30 hours weekly. The brand is GE Sunbeam, it is a closet light which is intended to be mounted with velcro tabs. Its over by the hardware dept.

Last - your little gimballed stove. I've had one of the same for 3-4 years now, and have gotten good service out of it. It has held up well so far, but the spot-welded construction at the gimbals worries me a bit - I always expect those to fail from crevice corrosion. The only thing I don't like a whole lot about it is the pot size - maybe 5-6" in diameter. Hard to find pots that size in retail outlets, though it does come with its own sauce pan and a mini-frying pan. It is very easy to mount/unmount, and I hang mine near the cockpit too, in order to make coffee at sea easier. Still, I would like a stove that I could use different sized pots on. Keeping an eye out for a Baldwin type stove, I'll probably wind up making something.

Keep the pics comin. :) lol

Bill
12-08-2005, 10:01 AM
Hi Frank -
Last - your little gimballed stove. . . .The only thing I don't like a whole lot about it is the pot size - maybe 5-6" in diameter. . . Still, I would like a stove that I could use different sized pots on. Keeping an eye out for a Baldwin type stove, I'll probably wind up making something. Keep the pics comin. :) lol

There have been several threads on stoves including this one: http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/showthread.php?t=613

Several posts into the thread, there is a bit about swing stoves. Ebb also started a thread on stoves discussing fuel, etc. Difficult I know, but try the search button . . .

frank durant
12-08-2005, 10:10 AM
Kurt..I use one of those lil butane $39.99 single burner for bacon/eggs.Use a force 10 BBQ the most(small size is way easier on propane) so the only time the butane comes out is ussualy breakfast.I even looked back to credit someone(you) for the LED idea....couldn't find the post.Thanks!! Thats the great thing about this and other sites...sharing ideas.My anchor locker...Triton site,my galley and board with barometer etc.over the door were all inspired by Sirrocco...the cockpit bunk and shower-the Pardey's and so on.Ya get the inspiration elsewhere,modify it to your own needs and there it is.Hope we ALL keep sharing.....more ideas for me to steal!!!Here's a galley pic with the lil dish rack I added.Paper towels are handy there to cockpit too

epiphany
12-08-2005, 10:51 AM
Hope we ALL keep sharing.....more ideas for me to steal!!!

LOL! As I walked the CrewDogs up shoreside for their constitutional this morn, I was actively contemplating "stealing" *your* idea with the mounted 5 Day cooler for an icebox. :D It's a gem of an idea, and I can't see any real reason not to use it, except that I may get more efficient space usage by building an icebox into the shape available.

Bill - I included the above stove info because I felt it was relevant to the discussion Frank and Ebb were having about that particular brand/model. If said info is too redundant here, feel free to remove, move, or edit it. This is your ship... :)

PS - Frank - what is the cleat at the top of the steps for? Did I miss that in a prior discussion?

frank durant
12-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Kurt...I put 1" foil sided foam under and on 3 sides of the cooler...blew 2cans of foam around the rest.Hooked a hose up for a drain..comes out inside the companionway...sets up on a cup hook.When ya want to chill a white wine , simply drain off a lil cold water into a jug holding the bottle !! (stole that from the Pardeys too...can see in a pic #50 way back) oh ya...the cleat..NO CLUE..po..but it makes a good handle for removing the step ! ;)

frank durant
12-08-2005, 03:08 PM
here's one lookin aft

frank durant
12-08-2005, 03:20 PM
table up..folded out. "note of interest"..I took a piece of teak off the interior and a bare piece of mahagany plywood in to my favorite paint supplier.Sue made me up a stain she said would be 'pretty close'. I'm real happy the way my new pieces match the old ones...age and different wood to boot.

ebb
12-09-2005, 06:23 AM
Frank,
You get more done in 4 days than some people do in four years!
Just did a quick scan of your thread here.
The project can only be an inspiration to a new owner or prospective buyer of a tired Ariel in how practical and quick a renovation can be done. Or anybody waiting to get started because it looks like too much. Only thing missing are full size tracing plans.

Sure looks like a nice, spiffy, open, airy feeling you got there - with minimal changes to the original. Minimal dollars. Yet a bunch of fine innovations - like a shower in the master store room, table for 4 in the main saloon, easy and roomy double conversion, and right-on foam-in cooler idea,

Truly a happening Revival!

I believe an important rigging upgrade to consider for every Ariel is placing the chainplates on the outside of the hull. For all the reasons discussed in the forum. You got to share with us how you do it, ok?

frank durant
12-09-2005, 09:42 AM
Ebb Thanks for the comments.We both know how dam frustrating working on these boats can be.I am really torn about chain plates at this time.I believe ext mount IS the best-safest-most problem free.Stronger AND no more delamination with water getting in around flexing thru-deck plates. My personal problem is TIME.On one side...I want the plates on and new standing rigging.The plates are made.I did them out of 316SS.The mast is down...PERFECT time. BUT...I don't want to rush..in my mind there there should be glass work involved(back-up hull-bulkhead re-enforcing)..and I REALLY REALLY want to sail to the Bahamas this year.It will depend when I can get out of here I guess and how I feel when I get to revival.In this moment...I just want to sail!!!

frank durant
12-16-2005, 09:53 AM
My OB well was modified by a PO.When I went to drop in my 6hp evinrude 'yacht twin' there was no way the throttle tiller was going to go thru the normal access panel.The hole in the aft lid by a PO now made sence.It ain't pretty but works. The yacht twins F_N_R is at the front of the engine...not the side ...so all controls are easy access.I made the hole on the aft deck a lil bigger for better grip.The proper screw on cap can be used when OB not in use.See page 1 , pic 7 for how it was when when purchased

Bill
12-16-2005, 06:04 PM
When I went to drop in my 6hp evinrude 'yacht twin' there was no way the throttle tiller was going to go thru the normal access panel.

As noted elsewhere, the throttle is used in the vertical position with the hatch open -- not through the access panel. That gives you access to the clamping screws and is where the starting lanyard goes when you pull (unless you have one the of the new vertical pull ob models).

And, as discussed elsewhere, there is a choking problem when running the engine with the hatch closed due to the upper auxillary exhaust port on most engines.

frank durant
12-16-2005, 07:57 PM
guess I should have used the 'search button' before I made the hole bigger.

frank durant
03-16-2006, 06:56 AM
Revival is back from 'winter cruise 06'.After many many hours of work,with some intended projects not completed,Revival was finally launched after a over 2yrs on the hard on Feb.5th.Since then we have travelled from Indiantown on the St.Lucie canal in Florida to Stuart-West Palm(Riviera Beach)-Ft.Lauderdale-S end of Key Biscayne-Failed attempt to Bimini Bahamas with strong E wind on the nose,then an AMAZING sail all the way back to West Palm!-Ft Lauderdale-Port Lucaya Bahamas (MADE IT)-West end-Great Sale Cay-AllansPensacola Cay-Spanish Cay-Manjack Cay-Green Turtle Cay-Manjack Cay-

frank durant
03-16-2006, 07:26 AM
AllansPensacola-Great saleCay-West End-Stuart Fl.-Indian town.A great tour.I will post more pics and info.I would have liked to have put on my new chain plates and standing rigging ,but in the end ,time and the strong desire to get back on the water won out. These are fine lil ocean boats! The day of my failed attempt was 25-30kn winds with much stonger gusts and 10-12ft seas with the odd set much higher.Sounds like a normal summer day for you SF Bay guys.Revival seemed 'in her element'..double reefed main,she just romped along.Thanks Carl.Her shallow draft made her a fine Bahamas boat and she drew compliments everywhere she went. Pic-FINALLY in the water !!

frank durant
03-16-2006, 07:43 AM
install the new dodger day

frank durant
03-16-2006, 07:46 AM
New sun shade rolled out

Al Lorman
03-16-2006, 08:18 AM
Wow! She is a real looker, Frank.

Al

c_amos
03-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Frank,

Man she is a great looking boat! Really aprpeciate your feedback, and all the great mod's you drempt up and executed.

I really like that Dodger set up, did you use someones plans, or come up with it yourself? Can you give some more detailed photos of it, and a description of how I can copy it? :)

Thanks@!

frank durant
03-16-2006, 03:53 PM
I'll take a pic tomorrow of the sun shade ...it worked out great.It zips onto the dodger-has 3/4in abs @ center and aft with 2- 1/4in rope tiedowns.Super easy on/off.I put a 'rain catcher' drain in it to feed my water tank....remember I put my water fill close to the bridge deck on the std side.I sent my favorite sail shop measurements (way back I posted a request for a few hatch to boom measurements etc) they sent down the steel frame and paper to make the pattern...was kinda scary sending it all off..kinda cross your fingers and hope for the best.There are inside pockets on the dodger too for gps/binocs etc.I was quite pleased with how it all worked considering the shop was 1500 miles from the boat and never saw her. Mods...in short form...watertank/fill 10...anchor locker mod 2 (was too worried about water getting in-I should have made shelf lower and just angled it forward more-it never took any water,drained nicely but the rode sure 'bunched up' too quick) icebox 10-icebox drain 10 (would drain off cold water from icebox into a lil plastic pail with warm beer in it to pre cool it for the icebox)-bilge deviders 10-double bunk 5 (I made a huge mistake of letting them use new foam in the filler backrests..when put down to use as the bunk they were slightly firmer and not comfortable..but the idea was good)arm rests 10+ (made reading below very comfortable and got used steady as back and arm rests in the cockpit too)-The lil gimbled stove was handy underway and for AM coffee but limited for any "pan" work 6 -Picked up a $39 butane stove at wally world ..it was simple and worked great for breakie and the wok etc 9-new jib bag 0, I asked for snug...way too snug-bilge pumps in/out 10...felt way safer and would give the odd check pump while underway-inside shower 8 ,a lil cramped but better than cool nights in cockpits and private in crowded anchorages...amazing how little water you use with garden style "pump up ' sprayer.A lil hot water spray after a salty day feels GREAT. Can't think of anything else right now

frank durant
03-16-2006, 03:58 PM
pic of appoaching a bridge on the St Lucie canal

frank durant
03-16-2006, 04:13 PM
oh ya...the drain in the keel from a PO did not leak a drop!! I recomend this highly if you leave your boat stored 'on the hard'. Its nice to know any water getting in - drains out.Real handy if you store it in 'hurricane alley' like I do

frank durant
03-17-2006, 03:59 AM
End of day 1...anchored out at Stuart.Threw some chicken on the BBQ,glass of wine and crashed.Note side pockets on dodger...real handy for binocs,gps etc.Tomorrow the ocean.At my age the magnifying glass is a must.

frank durant
03-17-2006, 04:07 AM
Jib up....through that entrance the gulf stream awaits.

frank durant
03-17-2006, 04:10 AM
The BIG moment...1st sail !!! I've been 'dating' this ole girl for a long time...the 1st sail was great ! note extra deep 2nd reef point.Although we used 1st reef often , 2nd was only needed once but I was real glad it was there

Howard
03-17-2006, 05:38 AM
Frank,

Man she is a great looking boat! Really aprpeciate your feedback, and all the great mod's you drempt up and executed.

I really like that Dodger set up, did you use someones plans, or come up with it yourself? Can you give some more detailed photos of it, and a description of how I can copy it? :)

Thanks@!

Island Nautical has in house plans for a dodger that looks similar, front zippered window and snaps for the sun shade. Just got one that they had in stock for $600. Custom order is more like 1k. They also have a matching hatch dodger. Sweet.
I am going to do the double bunk conversion, that coupled with a cockpit double makes enough space for the entire "crew", 3/5s of which are under 4' tall. Great idea on the shower too.

Inspiring work here!

http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/sail.gif

c_amos
03-17-2006, 05:51 AM
.....I am going to do the double bunk conversion, that coupled with a cockpit double makes enough space for the entire "crew", 3/5s of which are under 4' tall.....

It is a great mod, I love mine. :)

Just a note on this. Don't undersize the cleats you use for this. Mine is done with 3 1/2" marine ply(high strength, lots of epoxy(?)in the wood). It originally set on 1/2" quarter round oak cleats. It is very easy when going below to step on the corner of one of the boards and your entire weight be placed on a few inches of these cleats (especaly if you are on the hook and the boat is rocking).

I have replaced the 1/2" quarter round with teak strips 5/8" by 1 1/2" that are screwed into the seat cushion fiddles with a dozen or so #10 brass screws.<O:p

If this is confusing, I will post a picture.

Tony G
03-17-2006, 05:55 AM
Frank

Hats off to you, sir. What a fantastic February it must have been. Revival looks spectacular in the Caribb.

Like everyone else has stated, the new life you breathed into her is exceptional. Fine, fine craftsmanship. I appreciate your honest judgment of the modifications you've done. The comments will help 'steer' some of us in our changes :cool:

The dodger not only looks great, but also looks big enough to be practical and usable.

NOTE: will accept all photos of dodger :D

Howard
03-17-2006, 07:25 AM
I have replaced the 1/2" quarter round with teak strips 5/8" by 1 1/2" that are screwed into the seat cushion fiddles with a dozen or so #10 brass screws.<O:p

If this is confusing, I will post a picture. [/QUOTE]

I think I get it. I am planning on building Calder's combo cockpit table/bed/grate and could probably use scrap/extra from that project. Could be seperate pieces don't you think? As long as they are wide enough to stabilize each of the three sections.

frank durant
03-17-2006, 08:18 AM
Tony...here's your pics

frank durant
03-17-2006, 08:19 AM
another one for ya

frank durant
03-17-2006, 08:20 AM
light cut out

frank durant
03-17-2006, 08:21 AM
sun shade pic with drain

frank durant
03-17-2006, 08:24 AM
cockpit fill .... don't mind the dirt...unloading boat when I took these for ya.Had to now...I'll be gone tomorrow

frank durant
03-17-2006, 08:26 AM
top view shade

frank durant
03-17-2006, 08:28 AM
Dodger's make big 'junk collecter' dash boards but ya gotta love them for cruising !!

frank durant
03-17-2006, 08:29 AM
sun shade takes up very little room when rolled up and store easily. Bimini's , with their frames are not as easy. I think that'l give ya what I did Tony

frank durant
03-17-2006, 11:00 AM
oh ya....the attachment=simple

frank durant
03-17-2006, 08:39 PM
Back to the 'fun stuff'...My view from the free-bee west palm beach anchorage at 'Riviera Beach'

frank durant
03-17-2006, 09:00 PM
'revival' swings at anchor there

frank durant
03-19-2006, 08:27 PM
on to ft Lauderdale. The sail down was a windy reach...fast and fun

frank durant
03-19-2006, 08:33 PM
the cruising guide said "a very active commercial port"...3 awaite as I arrive

frank durant
03-19-2006, 08:35 PM
After I made my commitmant to the entrance channel..I found out why the 3 were waiting

frank durant
03-19-2006, 08:37 PM
"active commercial port"...YEP !!!

frank durant
03-19-2006, 08:39 PM
not my idea of fun

frank durant
03-19-2006, 08:41 PM
now I'm getting brave.....thought I'd play 'chicken' with the last one to leave.....NOT !! (ps..that IS the corner of my dodger in the pic...the lil 6hp was cranked !)

frank durant
03-19-2006, 08:46 PM
Finally made it to the Ft Lauderdale city marina anchorage...nice clean place.Felt good to be tied up after dodging ships.

ebb
03-20-2006, 09:06 AM
What a life, Frank! Cold brew and a hot bird, yeah!
Some folks get what they deserve. At a loss for words,
here's a couple quotes:

"Let your life be light, packed with only what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends, worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink, for thirst is a dangerous thing." Jerome K. Jerome

"Seamen three! What men be ye?
Gotham's three Wise Men we be.
Whither in your bowl so free?
To rake the moon from out the sea.
The bowl goes trim, the moon doth shine.
And our ballast is old wine." T.L. Peacock

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship and the gate of pleasant folly." W.E.P. French

"During one of my treks through Afghanistan, we lost our corkscrew. We were compelled to live on food and water for several days." Cuthbert J. Twillie
(WCFields, 1940, My Little Chickadee) :D

mbd
03-20-2006, 10:09 AM
Thanks for sharing and for the inspiration Frank!

commanderpete
03-20-2006, 10:41 AM
Nice work Frank. Keep 'em coming

frank durant
03-21-2006, 08:25 AM
I spent a few days in Ft Lauderdale.Had to buy a new anchor.A real windy night at West Palm left it looking like a pretzel...but it HELD.I was asleep when the wind picked up and then too lazy/sleepy to get out the plow anchor.

frank durant
03-21-2006, 08:40 AM
Planned a crossing to Bimini from the end of Key Biscayne,Florida keys.There is a great lil mini harbour there called 'no name bay. The sun set over biscayne bay with the little huts on stilts is beautiful

frank durant
03-21-2006, 08:44 AM
was gettin dark when I got this pic of the lighthouse at the S end of Key Biscayne

frank durant
03-21-2006, 09:04 AM
I got up at 1 15 am..left at 1 30 am to cross the 'stream' to Bimini.Called for 5-10 knt winds from s to se. Ended up with e wind right on the nose and steadily increasing ! Could not beat se into the 4 1/2 knt current....shot n if tried to beat ne !! After 10 hrs motor sailing into steeper seas ,I realized I would not make it as I only had 2 galls fuel left.ONLY 12 miles to go but had to abort the crossing.The total frustration of motoring for 10hrs in steep waves for nothing changed to excitement as the wind kept growing(and the seas)...I had one of THEE MOST enjoyable sails of my life as 'Revival picked up her skirt' and simply FLEW n on a beam and later a broad reach !!! Man these ole girls love a reach !! They simply defy their waterline !! This was the day my chart plotter showed 11.4 SOG breifly on one 'surfing surge' ...with the help of the gulf stream.Glad to have the 2nd reef that day....sailed ALL the way back to west Palm !!

frank durant
03-21-2006, 09:07 AM
This 'gulf stream moment' brought to you by Revival.Ever notice how waves never look as big in pictures...not even close ???

frank durant
03-22-2006, 06:50 PM
Back at West Palm Beach , I came across a manatee while exploring in my dingy

frank durant
03-22-2006, 06:53 PM
They are so slow that they grow 'green algea' on their backs !

frank durant
03-22-2006, 07:14 PM
One more aborted attempt to cross to West end this time...again , strong E winds....decided to go S to Ft lauderdale and try from there. Left Ft Lauderdale at 7pm ,weather window was perfect !! CALM !! I already posted about the phospherous and moon rise that night....here is a pic of "sunrise" approx 50 knm out.Note how calm the stream is.

frank durant
03-22-2006, 07:21 PM
MADE IT !! The narrow entrance to Port Lucaya Grand Bahama Island. Entered at 3pm after a 20hr 84 knm crossing and being awake for 33hrs.....yep,I was tired but still had to clear customs and arrange dockage before sleep

frank durant
03-22-2006, 07:24 PM
All cleared ,tied up and flying the flag of the Bahamas...now I can sleep.Note where I stored the inflatable on all major crossings

xroyal
03-24-2006, 06:26 AM
Frank, I just joined this forum to first of all congratulate you on the grand revival, then on your fine voyage! Last night I had to read your whole thread no matter what. The innovations like the shower, beds, etc were just terrific. Sure you had some support, but you put it all together while commuting from Canada! Hope you'll keep us updated. All The Best! :D

P.S I'm a retired fellow whose been thinking about living aboard in Sausalito, CA. You Pearson owners are getting under my skin with these lovely boats. It started with Tim w/Triton 381, then Epiphany with his Ariel, Atom, the Commander traveling Chicago to SF, and now your wonderful boat. Somehow you made it sound easy, but I know you put in a load of elbow grease as well skill. I admire you for it.

frank durant
03-24-2006, 03:25 PM
I've been solo until now.Judy is not yet retired so she flew in once I made it over.

ebb
03-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Whell, guess we know about motivation now too! :D

frank durant
03-24-2006, 07:56 PM
Ebb....ya just HAVE ta git dat boat done and IN !!! There are SO many places to go. The marina at Lucayo is 5star...real nice !! "Luciano's" restaurant in town is THEE best I have ever been in...food is that good !! Oh ya...Ebb....Judy loves rough weather too.I am blessed

frank durant
03-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Spent 4 days in Lucaya...then a nice reach past Free port on the way to the West End . PS - I'm really not that grey...simply 'sun bleached'..honest

eric (deceased)
03-24-2006, 08:51 PM
hurricane season cometh. iss' juss'arounda corner ya don' wansta b there 4 da festivities.for the last two years there have been one after the other following the same path.I left the marina in okechobee{since forth never rebuilt} an' wenthru' th'same st.lucie canal aka the "ditch" an' passed many-a- sunkbotze.I tinx I may'o even hit one submerged I dunno.but it has been said===iss'gunna get wirse b4 it gess betta.have yers fun,an' get outta there b4 iss2L8.

frank durant
03-25-2006, 04:38 AM
No worries Eric...Idun dis ofen..issbacunda ardagin. I alzo ceez many boazunk alongda way

frank durant
03-25-2006, 04:51 AM
We sailed past Freeport with it's ships (visions of Ft Lauderdale dancing in my head) and continued on to the 'West End'.We just anchored out,having been there before ,we decided it would make a nice final stop on the return trip before Judy flew home as it is also a beautiful marina and resort.Next am we sailed on to Great Sale Cay...arriving after dark to its anchorage.It's kinda neet waking up and going 'so this is what it looks like' We moved over to the beach erea to re anchor.saw many sharks on the way over.Once re anchored,we were greeted by 10-12 dolphins who came to see who was visiting.They stayed and played for about 20min

frank durant
03-25-2006, 04:54 AM
kept my foot in this one to show how close they played

frank durant
03-25-2006, 04:57 AM
We walked the mile + long beach and found the remains of a 3000ft building that had a lil light house and lots of tankage at one time. Wondered what it was. Ole #50 lookin good out there

frank durant
03-27-2006, 02:24 PM
I like 'cruise pics' more , but here's some more boat ideas.This is how the V-berth ended up.I wanted it for storage only , but the cockpit cushions would allow a bunk on the stbd side.Note that I made the forward storage under the V-berth more accessable.I stored tools/spares there to get some weight forward.I did the same larger access to the stbd aft v-berth also.The fillers and table were 'blocked' and tied in place underway.

frank durant
03-27-2006, 02:29 PM
I screwed down these plastic bins as well as tied them.They carried lots of food etc. Ain't fancy but easy to use and worked out well.The flex tank for the head is under

frank durant
03-27-2006, 02:41 PM
stbd v-berth 'bunk'

frank durant
03-29-2006, 12:42 PM
Back to the 'fun' pics.I simply can't get excited about racing....these shots show WHY I sail. The 1000 word pictures. Both shots are of 'Manjack Cay'.A pretty island in the Abacos with a well protected anchorage in any wind but S.It has a beautiful , mile long+ beach on the N side.There is a wrecked barge and tug to dive on with tons of marine life. Friends "Bill and Leslie" ,originally from Florida, bought 14acres there and built their 'lil paradise' over the following years.Wonderful people who love cruisers.On any given Am...cruisers can be found gathered on their front step..having coffee,repairing sails,helping them with projects etc. All with a true "60's feeling" about it.The 1st boat behind the thatched roof is Revival.

frank durant
03-30-2006, 09:45 AM
Sailing is great.Nothing beats a good breeze ,nice waves and the sound of the boat surging through...but you find as you go along cruising that it is the people you meet !! Everyone is on an adventure..everyone unique! Robert and Emily from Allans Pensacola Cay for example....They are from SC but they hang out there every winter now for 20yrs.Robert is now 67. He sailed his great dane 28 from Denmark home in 1972...then went on to cross back to England and raced the OSTAR in 73.A bottle of wine and an evening listening to stories on his boat is majic. It truely is the people that make it fun.That's Bill and Leslie's home on shore .PS..the lil dark blue boat off to my stern is a Triton..sailed there yearly by a great couple from Main

tha3rdman
03-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Really is a beauty!

xroyal
03-30-2006, 02:48 PM
No wonder you were anxious to get going. Too pretty for words!

Frank, some years ago a sailing friend gave me a 14"x18" teak tray I now eat most of my meals on. Has high beveled edges and nice hand holds in outter edges. Occurs to me it would very handy on a boat. Don't always need a table, and tray would stow easily. Also big enough for a laptop or writing pad. Handy in the cockpit too. 2nd tray for Ms. :)

frank durant
03-31-2006, 07:26 AM
just thought of a cute story about Manjack cay. I have been anchored there now on 5 occasions. Through Robert/Emily we were introduced to Bill/Leslie at Manjack back in 02. I have never seen so many boats anchored out there. The normal 1-5 had turned into 12-14. I asked Leslie 'whats up" ..she replied 'They're here because we left the wireless internet on..I'll turn it off this afternoon and see what happens'....sure enough the next day things were what I recall as 'normal'.Who'd a thought that even on an out island with no power that the power of the internet would be felt so strongly.

bill@ariel231
03-31-2006, 02:34 PM
Frank

Bravo, you have a beautiful boat and the perfect playground for it...

Bill

frank durant
04-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Green Turtle Cay is home to 'New Plymouth'..a neat little hamlet of 250 people with 3 lil grocery stores,2 hardware stores and several eateries and bars.A very nice and friendly place to stock up and spend a few days.The 'water taxi' is thee link to the main land...shown here coming in to port

frank durant
04-07-2006, 09:04 PM
Walking distance from 'New Plymouth' is Black Sound..a well protected inlet with mooring balls available for $10 per night. We always enjoy Green Turtle Cay and it's people...a real fun stop on the cruise.Revival swings on her mooring in Black Sound

frank durant
04-12-2006, 07:12 AM
These next few shots are motivation for Ebb to get 'back in the water' and out sailing/cruising.We camped out most of the time,but a few days at the 'old Bahama Bay' resort at the west end of Grand Bahama Isl. is a really nice nice way to end a cruise !! Their marina isn't cheap @ $1.25 ft and a 40ft minimum , but you had all the facilities of the resort included

frank durant
04-12-2006, 07:22 AM
The beach erea is great too

frank durant
04-12-2006, 07:42 AM
The bar ain't bad either. Ebb.....You show up and I'l buy !!! Standing offer. We could be sittin there talkin about Thoreau's writings and boat design ...ya know...all the truely important stuff. That IS apple juice....honest

ebb
04-12-2006, 07:53 AM
( s i g h )
that one heard around the world.
We're approaching 40 days & nights in the San Francisco area. Been phoning the motel in Santa Cruz for a month putting off our two days now until Easter. The rates have doubled and the forecast is still for more rain.
338 languishes and so does her skipper. Only thing keeping me going is the eternal image of dolled up Ariels bobbing on a hook in a sunny cove. Frank,
thanks for the motivationals! :D

I'm right across the table there.
Actually I went outside to check on the sun.
Now I know why that toothy smilie is green.
Envy!

ebb
04-12-2006, 08:20 AM
Frank, you mentioned the boss' name:
Here's one for you: "He enjoys true leisure who has time to improve his soul's estate."
One for me: "Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify! Simplify!"

mbd
04-12-2006, 08:52 AM
Snazzy shirt you're wearing there too, Frank.

PS. Ebb's not the only one you're motivating - thanks!

frank durant
04-12-2006, 12:54 PM
Mike...we ALL do 2 things....dream and procrastinate !!! Kinda like when your garage gets messy...ya keep putting off cleaning it out...it only gets worst.Finally one day after waiting WAY TOO LONG ...ya get at it only to find it was way easier than ya thought,ya found some items you'd given up on and ya feel SO much better after....ya wonder why ya didn't do it way sooner. Cruising is like that in my life. I bought the waterway guide in 84 , I had yearly plans , I had a few boats that would have been 'perfect' for the trip south (to my thinking at the time) BUT every year it was work or money or some project....always an excuse ...always put off. Finally in 02 I went.Like the garage clean up , I wondered why the heck I waited SO LONG??...what was I afraid of?? It really is not hard. I do have a 'passion' for boats but I am NOT a great sailer. I can tell you this for sure.If you have basic navigation skills,good anchoring skills,understand weather patterns some what and are comfortable reefing sail etc GO !! It AIN"T majic !! You too will wonder 'what took so long'......go and 'clean your garage'!!

frank durant
04-12-2006, 01:07 PM
Mike...ya don't have to worry about navigation in the Bahamas. In the ENTIRE trip this 'pole' was the ONLY 'aid to navigation' we came across !! Ya DO need charts.

frank durant
04-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Ebb....A quote from Thoreau from his lecture on 'life without principles'....."there is no more fatal blunderer than he who consumes the greater part of his life getting his living" . To him..living life on your own terms was far more important than getting caught up in the aquiring of money and posessions .He was very true to himself. Moral of the story...sail more-work less !!!!!

frank durant
04-15-2006, 11:58 AM
These boats truly do look as good out of the water as in.Carl drew beautiful lines !! ps...the 'trinidad' bottom paint did not even need to be hosed off when I took her out after the cruise...real good paint!!

frank durant
04-16-2006, 02:42 PM
OOPS.....I 'just' got lookin at Judy's pics so these will be out of order . The marina at the 'west end' is 1st class as is the entire resort

frank durant
04-16-2006, 02:43 PM
Entrance break water in background. From this point the gulf stream is 'just' to the left...north atlantic straight ahead and the Bahama bank to the right

eric (deceased)
04-17-2006, 01:05 AM
where is it hauled out?? I hope it aint in hurricaine land.I hopes to be getting "starcrest seven" with in the next year.I am specifically looking for another ariel---maybe my former one.that will keep me out of skydiving to my parents relief.....but then theres a whole ocean as of yet for me to continue to explore.I hope you didnt find the the unabridged version of the recent newsletter accounting of my five year "tragic to magic"history on my ariel to racey or audastic-----but they did an excellent job in recounting my true-tell -all life on that boat. I warned the association top brass beforehand that it was not for the young to read.you had to know the beginning to understand just how fantastic it was. of all the sailing I ever did---it was on that boat that I had the most memorable times.

frank durant
04-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Allens /Pensacola is a beautiful protected anchorage. There is a 'hurricane hole' on the east end,anchorage on the s-w end and beautiful beachs and reefs to the north. Pics are the anchorage. Note: there is a famous 'signing tree' on the n beach where cruisers post vessal names or sign various flotsom etc and hang it on trees. PS...beware of 'poison wood trees' walking there...worst than posion ivy !!!

frank durant
04-18-2006, 12:44 PM
Allens/pensacola with my lil 'water taxi' on the beach. That's #50 out back PS...the lil 2HP yamaha STILL starts first pull (ya can win bets) after 22yrs !!

frank durant
04-18-2006, 12:54 PM
We had never stopped at 'Spanish cay' before. It was purchased (yep..the ENTIRE island..airport and all)around 1998 by a fellow from the US recently retired from the food industry. It was the 'off season' there until march 30th. I asked if he made a GOOD margorita...he replied...YOU BET...2 1/2 later I could hardly talk or finish my 3rd !!! Nice marina...great service,pool,store etc.....and wicked margoritas !!!

frank durant
04-18-2006, 12:58 PM
It was kinda neat havin a 80 slip marina with only 5 boats !!! Kinda felt like ya owned the island. We know about sharks AND THEIR HABITS SO ONE NIGHT AFTER A WALK WE WENT DOWN TO THE unused 'fish cleaning station' and threw rocks in the water. Shortly after, an 8ft shark came slowly swimming by to see if there were fish scraps to eat !!

frank durant
04-26-2006, 07:33 PM
Ok...a few pics of the cooler drain...very simple BUT worked great. I would wait until cold water built-up in the cooler

frank durant
04-26-2006, 07:38 PM
Then I would put warm beer/pop..whatever in the 'pail' to drain the ice cold water into , to pre-cool them before putting them into the cooler.Worked great....6-8 days to ice !!!

frank durant
04-26-2006, 07:55 PM
I made simple bilge deviders and glued them in place before painting

frank durant
04-26-2006, 08:01 PM
The aft (deep) end of the bilge carried a 24 beer and several bottles of wine UNDER the cans above!!

Howard
04-28-2006, 05:46 AM
Then I would put warm beer/pop..whatever in the 'pail' to drain the ice cold water into , to pre-cool them before putting them into the cooler.Worked great....6-8 days to ice !!!

I got one that drains out the BEHIND the battery and it works great. Yours looks a little more exciting, what's the red wire for.....

:)

frank durant
04-28-2006, 08:13 AM
The big red wire is the main 'positive' lead from battery to switch

frank durant
05-01-2006, 03:53 PM
just reviewing pics and thought I'd post the last few that I figure the gang would find interesting.This is a carrier that I passed in Ft Lauderdale.

frank durant
05-01-2006, 03:54 PM
stern view showing cargo better.For those that don't know...they flood the aft end of the carrier...float on the boats...then pump out the water to raise it up again.If you cruise the east coast of Florida , ya get used to ships...lots of ships.

frank durant
05-02-2006, 07:27 PM
This is 'all dressed up' after just being launched

frank durant
05-02-2006, 07:30 PM
It's very 'busy' under the sink.The bilge pump has a Y-valve at back-right to divert from shower sump or bilge sump

frank durant
05-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Some of the nicest moments cruising are sunrises! An early start to the day and you get rewarded by scenes like this one.....leaving West Palm Beach to go out into the gulfstream

frank durant
05-04-2006, 07:44 PM
That pretty well does it for pics.When I joined this group I had a vision of a simple great sailing lil boat that would be near perfect for the Bahamas and for winter exploring.I hoped at that time to build a better icebox,an inside shower,a nice dble bunk and have a few improved 'simple systems'.I think overall it was a great success.The water tank and bridge deck fill location worked out great.I felt safer with proper seacocks while offshore,knowing I could 'turn off the hole' if need be.I used the inside shower lots.The lil sump worked great and the 'garden type' pump sprayer was easy on water.The mahogany strong back supports worked AND looked good.I HIGHLY recommend a good dodger to anyone cruising...be it foul weather...too much sun,wind or rain...they are there.I did make up a swing out chart plotter if anyone is interested.I ended up using charts/gps ...guess I like looking at charts more than a dam 5in screen.I could post the plotter pics if there is interest.The sunshade was great also.Not too big when stored and simple to use(no frame)A good icebox really helps,although I tried to be less dependant on ice this trip.I LOVED the deep bige...those lil glued in deviders really helped and again.. 'SIMPLE'.We used a butane stove lots for the 1st time.No complaints and inexpensive to boot!! This was my 1st time working in 'boat renos'...WOW...as one fellow put it..."terribly unproductive". I did however love the challenges.The best part was sittin there and simply dreaming up ideas.It is easy to get creative in problemsolving with a boat.My advice ...for whats its worth coming from a 'newbie'... is.. it will take 3 times as long and cost 3-4times as much as ya think...focus on one task at a time,then ya at least feel like there is always something getting done...and the biggy...allow yourself time to 'sit' in the center of it all during the work and day dream..thats when you'l get inspired to an idea. I love 'Revival'...truely a fine sailing craft.Still can't believe the speed on any kind of a reach!! They love wind ! I was never uncomfortable nor did I ever feel 'unsafe'...even 35kn miles out in 10+fters.The shallow draft is a true bonus,both in the Keys and Bahamas.Most of all...I have never taken so many pictures of a boat at anchor.They are beautiful !! Thanks to Carl for both their sailing ability and dam fine lines !! I am dissapointed in myself that I didn't get one of her under sail.I could have had Judy in the dingy and did a few 'sail pasts'...oh well. Finally...an observation on this site and the group as a whole. I am a relatively new guy yet have had over 7600 hits ( Bill lost 31?? in a transfer) There is an obvious thirst among all for inspiration . I admit to stealing and modifying most of my reno ideas.More people should post their ideas....maybe even more should follow through with them. Since I came back in late march and started posting cruise pics...WOW...approx 3000 hits in a month. We all (mostly all) dream of exploring by boat.It is obvious that MANY out there want to take off for a little farther distance or a longer time by the number of hits.....GO !!!! As I've said...I am NOT a great sailor!! Nor a great boat restorer.What I have just done both to and with the boat was not difficult nor skilled. I just love boats and love cruising.I hope as I check in that there will be an ever increasing amount of you posting pics of your most recent 'crossing' or newest adventure and anchorage.They make dam fine cruising boats !!! Take them farther !! To all who have looked at the pics and got some what 'inspired'...I say ..it's your turn now!! I will be watching. Hope ya all have a great sailing/cruising/racing season. Frank #50 Revival PS Thanks to Bill for 'putting up with me' and running THEE best owners site (by FAR) on the web !!!

ebb
05-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Somewhere somehow someday Frank we'll meet up out there.
some port some marketplace some joint. This has been a pleasure,
thanks for Arieling, for sharing Revival with us.
Here's salt in yor eye.
Here's a little salt in ours,
Here's to you and Judy!
"Catch the tradewinds in your sails," Skoal

frank durant
05-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Ebb....nothing would make me happier....a 2nd rate 'tiki hut bar' with a great view...a margorita and a debate over Thoreau's thoughts... yep , it wouldn't get any better !

Bill
05-06-2006, 10:21 AM
PS Thanks to Bill for 'putting up with me' and running THEE best owners site (by FAR) on the web !!!

Frank, thanks, but we could not do it without this great crew of posting skippers! You can take pride in being a great motivator for those who are planning to go cruising someday -- after they have prepared their yachts. :p

frank durant
08-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Was going thru holiday pics and thought these worthy of posting.The 'swing arm' was thrown together quickly , but the idea worked and is worthy of more care to do a better job with. The lil plotter is a CP150....uses C-MAP and they have huge erea capability.

frank durant
08-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Plotter out

frank durant
09-06-2006, 03:46 PM
I spoke with Adam (#50's new owner) today by cell phone. He has finally got her launched and they are currently on route to his home in the Florida Keys.He is motoring along the 'ditch'.I preferr sailing 'outside'...less stress...waves/wind are friendlier than bridges and powerboats.He reports the engine doesn't miss a beat and is good on fuel (6hp yachtwin evenrude) I'm glad....I'm always nervous selling something and hope it all works out. Hope he sends us an update.Good to see #50 on the move again.I understand 'revival' will be re-named 'Journey'...I wish him many adventures and safe journeys.

frank durant
12-13-2006, 01:35 PM
Going over old pics...gotta love the 'awlgrip' shine.

epiphany
12-14-2006, 03:04 AM
Wow. That pretty much sold me on Awlgrip... :)

The little silver cowl-vent thingy - is that a drain hole cover for the anchor locker? Aha! So that's how you do it... :) I've been wanting to make the anchor locker self-draining since I saw it done that way on Geoff's "Uhuru"...

(How much commission do you make, Frank? :cool: :D )

ebb
12-14-2006, 06:38 AM
Fine self portrait there, Frank!;)
Like the blue, has it a name?

SKY - Blue bonnet - Faded jeans - Exnihilo
Iceblue - Chicory - Sea Pearl - Topaz - Holy Aqua! ???

frank durant
12-14-2006, 08:55 AM
I think (failing memory) it was 'stars and stripes blue'. yep..that was how I drained the anchor locker shelf.

frank durant
12-14-2006, 08:57 AM
Ebb.....took me walking around a bit finding a spot to get that 'self portrait' where it made me look 'slim':D

Howard
12-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Nice boat. :)

MRH
12-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Frank - I've just been through the A-50 thread and want to add my compliments for the great work you did on Revival and thanks for sharing your adventure.

Mike Hoff
Commander #131 Francine

frank durant
12-17-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks.....don't know how ya can go wrong...fast ,ocean capable,shallow draft,very pretty ..and good ones from $5-7000....fixers from free -up...how can ya beat an Ariel ?? gotta be THEE best bargoon in sailing today !!

Howard
01-04-2007, 11:54 AM
I moved Revival to a slip in KW for a month and will bring her to Dunedin then. Spoke with Frank about some particulars and learned he is setting off for a three month jaunt to Abacos and Exuma today. Nice work if you can get it. Pictures to follow.

frank durant
01-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Howard...'nice work if ya can get it'.....I've been in construction since 1973 (33yrs)...finally have enough wrinkles and grey hair to realize that....1-ya can't make money building homes in northern Ontario winters, 2-you are a long time dead !! I highly advise ALL east coasters to travel to Bahamas...it's close,safe,friendly and FUN !!!

frank durant
01-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Howard...nothing...NOTHING ..would make me happier than to see you posts pics of Revival in new anchorages while on new adventures.Keep her moving !! Have FUN !!!!

Howard
01-04-2007, 04:32 PM
You can count on it. (The pictures that is). As for the "nice work", your resume makes you uniquely qualified for the job. The wrinkles and the grey look so much more continental with a tan. Think George Hamilton. :cool:
How about a new thread with some shots of this trip? Cheers again!!!

frank durant
01-04-2007, 09:13 PM
'you can count on it' !!!..........Lets compare shots :D ;)

frank durant
10-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Howard..how was your summer? Any pics to share?

Howard
11-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Frank/All,

Here's one from the deck of 50 last night.

More to follow.

Cheers,

HI

Tim Mertinooke
11-25-2007, 06:49 PM
It's 27 degrees outside here in Mass. I'm too cold to be jealous of the fact you have sunsets over the bow!:p

sailbahama
11-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Howard,

Hello from Atlanta. As the former owner of a Nicholson 31, which another Pearson owner, James Baldwin restored, I am interested in downsizing to a simplier boat due to life changes. Photos of James work can be found on his website atomvoyages.com See the Nicholson 31 refit. I just sold the boat to a fellow who shipped it to Canada.

I had noticed from this forum that you might have sold a partial interest in your Ariel and wondered if you had any interest in selling the remaining interest?

thanks,
Jeff

Howard
11-26-2007, 04:58 AM
Jeff,

I have actually sold her outright. I have retained privileges. Told Jason, the owner, about this site and will continue to post pics and updates. Revival is now in Palm Harbor.

Cheers,

HI

sailbahama
11-26-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the update. If Jason decides to sell, please let me know. Happy sailing.

Howard
11-26-2007, 02:23 PM
It's 27 degrees outside here in Mass. I'm too cold to be jealous of the fact you have sunsets over the bow!:p

This was earlier, balmy 83.

Howard
06-23-2008, 08:31 AM
They keep draggin me back in.

More to come.

SailBahama you might want to contact me....

She looks as good as ever.

Howard
07-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Clearwater pass area.

Howard
07-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Perfect day.

Howard
07-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Sails goin up.

Bill
03-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Please welcome Bart, the latest owner of A-50 REVIVAL. He just joined the board. Here is what he wrote during the verification process:

"I have Pearson Ariel, hull number 50. Registered in Palmetto, FL. My occupation is an Outward Bound instructor. My interests are engineless sailing, exploring, rock climbing, and scuba diving. I bought my boat a year and a half a go and have sailed it 2500 miles so far. Several times to the Keys, once to the Dry Tortugas, and once to the Bahamas, specifically to Chub Key, New Providence, Andros, and Cay Sal. I was raised in FL, became a nuclear engineer in the Navy, and once out of that have taught in the wilderness since. When gas got to 4 a gal and I turned 50 I bought this boat off Ebay. Never regretted it!"

Commander 147
03-22-2010, 05:08 AM
It is good to see another Florida sailor. And Palmetto FL which is home of the Precision factory. My previous boat was a Precision.

Sounds like you have done some serious sailing with your Ariel since you got her. I for one would love to hear about some of your exploites.

frank durant
03-22-2010, 05:30 PM
Welcome to the group Bart. I am extremely happy to hear that "Revival" is getting some sea miles on her again. Sure is a pretty, sweet sailing lil ship.
Post a few pics when ya can

Bart
03-27-2010, 08:01 PM
I bought Revival on Ebay and have had a lot of fun with her. That is after I wired the shrouds to the spreaders. On my first overnight I heard something slapping the mast and looked over and the shrouds were off the spreaders. We sail engineless and were on a lee shore. So in the morning I went up the mast a bit and put things back in place and found that they had only been held there with tape! We weren't able to keep them there with just turnbuckle tension and so had to take dock lines and tie the shrouds together. What a white knuckle trip back.
But since that first night she's been from Palmetto, FL down to Key West, the Dry Tortugas, and one trip to the Bahamas. She's being a lot of fun. I'll post pics soon. I'm glad for all the good work that went into her restoration.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Bart
03-28-2010, 05:27 AM
Having some trouble uploading pics so wanted to invite you to Facebook where I have videos and lots of pics sailing Revival. I'm the Bart Blankenship from western Colorado who's kissing the grouper.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

ebb
12-08-2016, 06:39 PM
Frank, s o m e times you wish you had 'er back !:D

frank durant
12-08-2016, 07:10 PM
More than sometimes Ebb....

Sweet memories..... Like an old lover....