PDA

View Full Version : the nuclear option...

cpast
11-18-2005, 08:20 AM
first my apologies to all who read this, but i have a small problem with a 'lost contact' on this board.

my name is Chris Gibbs. i'm the crippled guy who, about this time last year had put back together 422 Katie Marie. Half way down to Florida i set my leg on fire. that was dumb. but, i had to go back to germany.

a fellow named kurt wanted to buy my boat. he lacked the funds but i cut him a really soft deal in which he could come up with the money in chunks. well, long story short, he came up with 'some' chunks but not all of them. my efforts to contact him have gotten me nothing but returned, 'no such user' emails. I thought maybe he was swept off by hurricanes or some such thing.

i returned to this board the other day to look for him, and lo and behold he was busy posting...and at some point complaining about me not sending title to the boat...man that hurts! anyhow, i tried to reach him in a discreet fashion by contacting the board op...but my request went unanswered. so here i am today pulling this low-ball stunt.

if anyone knows how to contact him, or if Kurt has lost my email (big fat benifit of the doubt!) he or you can contact me at Wylie39(at)frontiernet(dot)net

422. a great little boat with the world's worst sails. but still it was quite a hoot. i apologize for this kind of post but i sort of ran out of patience. be well all, and, if you can? quit your job and go sailing.

CapnK
11-18-2005, 09:35 AM
Hi Chris -

I'm here, and probably why you got the email messages is that I just updated my profile email info here a few weeks ago from the old one (back when Bill asked us to update our info, theres a thread about it), so, if you haven't tried since then that would explain it. The new address I use - for the past 3 months or so, because the old one started getting too spammed up - is sailorkurt AT gmail DOT com . Let me know when you have that, so I can remove it from here as a spam avoidance, please (I hate spam...). I thought I wrote you from this address, but perhaps not, I'll check and if I didn't then you have my apologies for that. My cell phone number, with which you have called me before, is also still the same as it was , you can call me anytime.

As far as the "chunks" - and the only reason I post this is so people don't think I am trying to rip you off or some similar - you said, after I paid the larger part, 2/3 of what you were asking - to just send you the rest when I sold the dory. You also said at that point in time that you were going to send me the title so I could update and make proper Katie'es paperwork, but that never happened. I'm sorry if you feel I was busting on you about that, that was not my intention. I didn't ask you to offer what you did, but I appreciated it then, and appreciate it still, that you offered me those terms. If you don't recall this, I have it all saved and onboard the boat in both paper form and on a CD (in case a CG or DNR guy stopped me, so I could explain the boat ownership) and would be glad to forward same. When you never sent the title/etc, I assumed it was because you changed your mind about the terms, and were waiting for the dory before sending the paperwork. I never pressed about altering the deal because you were nice enough to make the offer which you originally made - if you wanted to change it, there wasn't much I could do about it, and I like you enough that whatever you wanted to do, I would go along with. The dory has still not sold, it is at my sisters house. I maintain it in excellent condition, and can post a recent photo at your request.

I still have the dory, I guess there is not a huge market for 15' wooden dories that cost a couplethousand dollars. :) I am still actively trying to sell it. Example: I posted it at the Classic Plastic forums just a day or two ago (will be glad to send you the link so you can see it), and it has been on my website since back this spring, and I have posted it elsewhere as well. I know I wrote you some time back that if I could sell it for whatever price, I would make up the difference out of pocket so that you were assured to receive the amount of money for the boats that you were hoping to get. On my website, I even say "Asking $2K, but I will entertain reasonable offers".

Dory page on my site (http://tinyurl.com/6f2xs) Also - and this may demonstrate to you that I have been proactive about selling it - at the bottom of the page you can see that I updated that page just at a month ago, on 10/15 of this year. I am waiting to here back from a guy in Oregon who sent an email about it just yesterday. He had a response from me concerning his questions within an hour.

Anyway, just write me or call me, OK? I may not be near a computer this weekend, I don't think - going to a family function and I don't know if there is internet access there, but will gladly correspond with you when I get back.

Sorry if you thought I was trying to pull one over on you - I wasn't, and am not. Being really public here would not be a good way to hide, I don't think. :)

Like I said, I appreciate the offer you made me back then, and I feel bad that you have been thinking what you have about me because of the lack of comm. Talk to you soon -