PDA

View Full Version : living aboard

ebb
11-09-2005, 04:36 AM
A fair number of us are preparing our A/Cs for cruising.
It is a minimalist lifestyle something deep inside desires - at least for a time. How one, or two, or more camp out on a 26' can only be seen as adventure. Voyaging into the unknown in a tiny spaceship like an Ariel or Commander is still open to each of us. Ultimate breakaway.

If giving up hot showers and icecubes still bothers you, or you need another philosophical lifeline to keep you aboard, check out
http://www.macnaughtongroup.com/

You might choose from the list there "liveaboard catalog"
and scroll to "living aboard" for a sensible read on the subject of living small.

c_amos
11-09-2005, 05:56 AM
Excellent article Ebb,

I especally like this;

It is easier to adapt to life without complex systems than it is to keep complex systems functioning on a boat.

ebb
11-09-2005, 07:26 AM
Yeah, Boils down to one of the three choices above.

Talking about boiling, the choice for me between the excruciating elaborate system required for a propane stove or a kerocene burner, once I got over the so called 'convenience' issue, was a nobrainer.

If you are planning to stay close to the harbor however (propane is not available over the horizon), propane just got easier. Marine propane bottles (Margas?) are appearing with an added top to them that will make a dedicated locker unnecessary. So it is said, haven't looked into it, maybe wishful thinking.

c_amos
11-09-2005, 08:33 AM
It is really funny, as a 'part-time' live aboard, I do struggle with this.

There is a ballance between the comfort/burden of shore and the simple pleasure of simply being aboard.

I have some fairly 'shore intensive' amenities aboard. I have AC (carry on) a de-humidifier, a ceramic heater, look longingly at the small microwaves I see on others boats and maybe want a toaster oven more then a man should. ;)

But.... resist even installing a permanent 30a service onboard, and tend to leave all the above stuff on the dock when I go out for more then an afternoon (you can tack with a carry-on ac in the hatch, but it ain't easy).

Stowage is a major issue for me. Power budget is the second largest but both of those are only really problems under way. It is an ongoing battle between what I can live with at the dock, and what I need underway.

I have a solar shower, and of course use the marina facilities when at the dock.. I really like Frank's solution but want that sump area for spare chain.

My little world, be it afloat at the dock or on the hook is where I sleep the best and feel most at peace.

I may want some shore side comfort, but have not once missed cable television.

eric (deceased)
11-09-2005, 11:07 PM
How Can Any One Live On A B-b-b-oat?really Lets Get Serious.this Is The Kind Of Bs That I Got From Everyone.i Say Yes ...its A Sacrifice....but Why....thats The Important Question....why Live On A Boat....my Answer Is This....i Love The Ocean And I Like To Travel,so By Living On A boat I Can Combine The Two.its Not For Everyone,,,,you Must Be Ruff And Tuff Especially In The Confines Of A Small Vessel.i Can Also Say This,,,,i Have Met Some Fine Women That Stayed With Me For months....it Was not easy For Them At First But It Got Into Their Blood....now There Is One Woman Who Will Travel With Me Whenever I Am Ready To Go....i Just Have To Keep Reminding Her Not To Put Those..you know those.."things"....in The Head.what A Bloody Mess It Was Indeed.and its like i said before.its like being in a large walk in closet..it only stinks for a little while(and then theres that sneak-aboard thing.....we will all discuss that later....very important)EVEN NOW THAT I HAVE SOMEWHAT OF A LARGER VESSEL ALL I GET FROM FAMILY MEMBERS IS DISSAPROVAL,RIDICULE AND SARCASM.THEY KNOW WHAT I HAVE DONE AND ARE AFRAID OF MY CAPABILITIES.I AM GETTING THE SAME"YOU'LL NEVER DO IT".LIKE ON THE ARIEL I HAD.SOMEDAY THEY WILL ALL BE VERY PISSED OFF.I AM GOING THRU SOME HARD TIMES NOW AS A CANCER SURVIVOR BUT I HAVE THE SAME "STICK-TO-IT-IVENESS" AS BEFORE.AND I WILL LIVE WHERE EVER THE HELL I GODDAM WANT.

epiphany
11-10-2005, 01:46 AM
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

:D

I've been meaning to get my hands on a copy of Don Casey's book on the "Thoreau approach to cruising", but haven't yet. (When the student is ready, the teacher will come, right? ;))

We, as a society, have been conditioned for years and years - since birth, really - that more, newer "stuff" will make us happy. While that may work great for the corporations who make the stuff, and for the advertising companies whose job it is to sell us that stuff, IMNSHO it does not make us happier. Quite the contrary, in fact. The whole "bigger, better, faster" or "Keeping up with the Joneses" mentality does the opposite, it preaches to us that more is better, while never stating the truth that noone can have it all. That's why our society has a pill for everything, and more pills to "help" "cure" the side effects from those first pills... It's a bad cycle to get caught up in, especially when doing so makes us lose contact with the essence and blessings of a simple life.

Now, how'd this philosophers stone get aboard my boat? Hmmm...

:)

PS - Eric - Get well soon, bud! Glad to hear that you aren't quitting, that you aren't letting it stop you. :) Cancer is so prevalent in the world these days - I've been reading books on the Ayurvedic approach to health lately, it seems to have a lot to offer, approaching the problem holistically instead of just via treatment after detection, as seems to be common. Neat stuff! Takecare, I'll keep you in my prayers. :)

ebb
11-10-2005, 06:31 AM
Eric,
Cancer! Believe its cause is our modern lifestyle. Don't know that archeological forensics has found it like arthritis. Past lifestyles were probably way less secure and way more physically harsh than modern times. Believe stress, all forms, how our organs deals with it, is pollution. Our modern bodies have to deal with all kinds of pollution, noise, TV, comfort foods and devitalized foods and pharmacuetals that constantly stress our immune systems.

Imho, when you get the big C - or if your intuition is telling you that you have to break with the crowd - you better make big changes in what you have been doing to yourself. My wake up call came with my planet attack. My clinic doc has always prescribed drugs for my complaints. He didn't have any for the healing process. Recently I've taken the patient to see a Tibetan physician who can 'see' problems by reading my pulse - and gives you herbs to restore balance.

But you have to leave the snug harbor of your western diet, your corporate drugs, your 8 to 5 rat race, and consumer mentality behind - and setsail into a more robust life. That's right, you can't take it with you. It's a good thing that the Ariel is so small.

Just had breakfast with my ex who has developed the virulent form of hpv. She was drinking a latte and eating eggs, bacon, hash browns, toast and jelly. I had the cafe's "bowl of love." Oatmeal sprinkled with raisens and walnuts - and a cup of tea. I'm serious now - tho I might wish to dive into bacon grease, burnt bean and cream, deadly nightshade hash browns, reconstituted gluton loaded wheat bread with fruit flavored sugar. Everything she had is on my 'avoid' list from the Tibetan guy, including raisens, walnuts and black tea. She had already scheduled the operation which western surgeons LOVE to do. "Hey, we can't fix it, but we can cut it out! Your choice." I told her about Dr D., urged her to get that second opinion, and that he had promised that my psa would be normal after his regimen, telling me to get a blood test to prove it. I haven't tested for a decade because the high numbers stressed me out.

Just pointing out that leaving civilization is not easy. Saving yourself is radical, you cast off warps on the port side and tie them back up on the starboard. Casting off addictions is very hard. Because they REDUCE your stress. Look at me spending years getting the boat 'ready'.

Tell ya one thing, the boat sitting under the tent in the boatyard hasn't attracted one female, not one. :(

Kurt, There's a raft of good books, essays and web sites on small boat sailing. There are some a lot better than others. WE oughter put a list together sometime just for fun and see what comes up. Minimalist might not be the right word, but the best will always be the most practical in living big on a small boat. Having trouble fitting in the sauna.

eric (deceased)
11-12-2005, 11:30 AM
the most likely cause of the thyroid cancer I had (its gone after 2 negative body scans)was due to radiation exposure.I have been an xray tech for 20 years.after making that trip on the ariel the real "me"came out and I graduated with honors from santabarbara city college,the radiography program.so after several years of living shoreside I finally got another boat,and I am getting the same negativity.....you know.....you cant do it... what about seamonsters.....you can only go so far.... falling off the edge,,,,its only for big ship and planes.....the only change now is I need enough synthroid(thyroid replacement) to get across the ocean and back.when I said that to family members they turned blood red.they were furious with the fact that I am going to continue on with my goals.and in fact,I do have a prescription for a one year supply of the pills.