PDA

View Full Version : Reason...........

Mike Goodwin
10-14-2005, 05:40 AM
My reason for not working on # 45 got 1st in her class ,in the Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race;

http://home.hamptonroads.com/guestbook/journal.cfm?id=499

ebb
10-14-2005, 06:21 AM
You Are Forgiven!

commanderpete
10-14-2005, 06:27 AM
That must be a sight to behold.

I'd like to see Virginia vs Pride of Baltimore II.

Think you can take her?

I see Pride was recently dismasted off Spain. Bummer

Mike Goodwin
10-14-2005, 07:14 AM
The Virginia and the Pride have a challange for the race , the Pride just didn't make to the starting line . Our skipper is also a relief skipper of the Pride , he says we can take her . Capt. Jan Miles of the Pride says it wont be easy .

Gen. George Patton's schooner , When & IF , is also in town for the race , she's a beauty too!

Jim Ulmer
10-14-2005, 01:29 PM
I took some people from the Maryland Historical Society down to the Bay Bridge for the start yesterday. At 20-25 it was quite a ride. Wind at the start from the north-northwest; perfect for schooners.

The Virginia is a beautiful ship. You and the state should be proud of her.

Mike Goodwin
10-14-2005, 03:18 PM
Were you at Sandy Point ?
Did you get any photos ?
Balto has always been my second city, used to run the streets of Fells Point as a kid and went to grad school at the Maryland Institute .
Used to hang out at the Cat's Eye Pub , Bunker's and Bertha's in the 70's .
For the 1st 20 years of my life , I always went to Baltimore by ship or boat , the only way to arrive was by sea.

ebb
10-14-2005, 07:53 PM
Give my eyeteeth (lemmesee, yup, still there) to be able to say something like that!!!

Mike Goodwin
10-15-2005, 04:53 AM
When I was a kid it took all day to drive there , but you could catch a steamer in Norfolk in the early evening and be in Baltimore at the crack of dawn . That was a much more pleasent trip. OR I could snag a ride on my Grandad's frieghter and have the run of the ship. If my Grandma was going along , we would load the old Hudson convertable or Pontiac coupe so we had a ride when we got there !
Those were the days !!!

c_amos
11-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Mike,

I was able to spend some time walking around in Annapolis today. I walked up the bridge near the yacht club, and saw your girl.

She was breathtaking. What a wonderful ship!

What a wonderful thing to have had a hand in creating such a fine vesssel.