PDA

View Full Version : F.S. Ariel #3, "Ariel Spirit"

mrgnstrn
10-11-2005, 08:16 AM
Our familiy has decided to move on to a larger boat, and to change our status to "part-time-live-aboard family".

So, since the boss says we can't pay for TWO slips, Hull #3 is for sale.

Located Deale, MD.

Has a 9.9hp Mercury with electric start (why throw out your back, this is supposed to be FUN, right?)

Has mucho sails, including:
2003 Main by Scott (used maybe 12 times)
2003 150% Roller Furling Genoa by Scott (maybe 12 uses)
1970's Spinnaker (just flew it, and it worked pretty well!) by Ratsey Lapthorn of City Island, NY
1970's Staysail by R.L.
1970's main by R.L.
1970's 165% genoa by R.L., converted from hanks to Roller Furling
1970's 145% by R.L. with bronze hanks
1970's 105% by R.L. with bronze hanks

Has 4 winches:
2x Lewmar self tailers in cockpit
1x Lewmar on the cabin top
1x Barient on the mast

Bottom was stripped to the gel coat in 2003, and coated with Interprotect, followed by Micron CSC

New rudder and shaft for 2005 (see other posts for more detail)

Depth sounder transducer, Compass, VHF, and all electrical wiring new in 2003

New cushions in 2003 (with cleaned and refurbed covers in 2003)

Raritan manual head rebuilt in 2003.

Removable 5-gal holding tank.

Currently set up for a settee-crib, but can be quickly converted from crib to lee-cloth

New 3-stage battery charger in 2003.

Hinged mast step with halyard organizer plate from Ballenger's (in CA).

Looking for $7000, or best offer.

Currently in the water in Herrington Harbor.

Please contact me off-forum at:

mrgnstrn _#@#_ hotmail -dot- com

mrgnstrn
10-13-2005, 07:32 PM
I have had at least a few requests for pictures, so here goes:

mrgnstrn
10-13-2005, 07:35 PM
More pics for your enjoyment

mrgnstrn
10-13-2005, 07:36 PM
Even More pictures

Tony G
10-14-2005, 05:08 AM
Very nice boat. Clean and cared for, as we can see by the photographs. I would think someone here would jump on it just to have a real outboard well plug.

It makes me wish I was looking again.

mrgnstrn
10-22-2005, 05:44 PM
Tony,
Thanks for the compliment.

All,
My home-made brochure is attached.

mrgnstrn
11-03-2005, 02:32 PM
And by the way....

1. I can arrange for my current slip to convey to a new owner for the 2006 season, but only have that capability until ~January 2006. After that I would have to send in $$$ to hold it (which I am not planning on doing).

2. Yes, it does have the real outboard well plug. complete with bolts and wingnuts to hold it down. Although I found that my 80lbs Merc outboard sideways in the lazzerete probably does a better job.

3.Comes with "jewelry": The builders plate and a pair of chromed Ariel nameplates.

lastly, we are signing papers on 11/4, so I can show (in shame) what we are moving on to. It is a ....ugh....different beast. Don't worry, it will still be underway on wind power, just.....more-so.

{Although to be completely candid, we are all "Under Way on Nuclear Power", when you really get down to brass tacks}

{{quiz: who said the above, when, and on what occasion? prize to be determined by geographical location}}

sailorcave
11-04-2005, 08:44 AM
{{quiz: who said "Under Way on Nuclear Power"}}

The story I read has it something like this:

The quote was written by Eugene P. Wilkinson, USN Ret., released by Communications Officer Ned Dietrich and sent by Quartermaster Rayl on January 17, 1955 as the first nucear sub, the USS Nautilus, was emarking on her maiden voyage.

commanderpete
11-04-2005, 11:35 AM
Ding Ding Ding We have a winner!!!

Always try to stop by the submarine museum and crawl around the Nautilus whenever I'm driving through CT.

http://www.ussnautilus.org/

Sweet boat that # 3. Much loved. Somebody ought to snap her up.

mrgnstrn
11-09-2005, 07:05 PM
Pictures from last weekend (i.e., "recent")

mrgnstrn
11-09-2005, 07:07 PM
another picture

mrgnstrn
11-09-2005, 07:08 PM
yet another pic

mrgnstrn
11-09-2005, 07:10 PM
......more and more

mrgnstrn
11-10-2005, 06:13 AM
resized photos....
sorry bill, I thought I had downloaded the "small" version of the pics.
Enjoy (now that you can see all of one picture at the same time.)

mbd
11-10-2005, 06:39 AM
Kieth, why did you wait until you put your boat up for sale to post these great pics?? Great looking Ariel! Too bad I bought mine last summer... :D

mrgnstrn
11-20-2005, 04:15 PM
Any takers at ....$6500?

ebb
11-21-2005, 06:29 AM
A savvy buyer would get it now.
But it is in the spring our fancy turns to sailing.

mbd
11-21-2005, 07:20 AM
Savvy indeed. I'll second that Ebb!

These improvements alone cost about as much as one of our boats!
- 2003 Main by Scott (used maybe 12 times)
- 2003 150% Roller Furling Genoa by Scott (maybe 12 uses)
- 2x Lewmar self tailers in cockpit
- Pushpit

Save the upgrade expenses and maintenance expenses and go sailing!

...not to mention, he's sailed the boat last summer with his baby on board, so you know she's been looked after properly!

mrgnstrn
11-22-2005, 07:59 AM
...Don't forget that the boat is 100% re-wired in 2003 (AC and DC systems)

...or that the bottom has been stripped to the gelcoat and barrier coat rolled on for longterm prevention of blisters (ounce of prevention vs pound of cure)

...or that the rudder & shaft are *brand new*

...or that the cushions are new as of 2003

...etc, etc, etc

Also consider this.... you can get a decent new 75hp outboard for that price, but still have to buy the powerboat to go with it!

John L. Giulietti
11-22-2005, 03:32 PM
Dear Sir/Madam, Seller of the Ariel #3:
I am in the market for a 24 to 27-foot fibreglass sailboat with and outboard motor. One think could my eye regarding Ariel #3, i.e. the replacement of the rudder and rudder shaft!.

Could you please tell me what was involved in the replacement of the rudder and rudder shaft, including the approximate costs involved?

I owned a 1967 Pearson Triton 28-1/2 foot which had a mahagony rudder with an approximate 3/4 inch bronze shaft (according to my memory).

Did your Ariel #3 have a bronze rudder shaft? What was its diameter? Did you replace it? If you replaced it, did you replace it with bronz or stanless steel? What diameter shaft did you replace it with? Did you also replace the "shoe" at the bottom of the shaft?

What was the approximate cost of this work? Thank you, /s/John L Giulietti in Vernon, Connecticut

Bill
11-22-2005, 07:14 PM
I owned a 1967 Pearson Triton 28-1/2 foot which had a mahagony rudder with an approximate 3/4 inch bronze shaft (according to my memory).

John,

The Ariel's rudder shaft / shoe assembly is nearly identical to the one found on the Triton. Shafts are one inch in diameter.

mrgnstrn
11-23-2005, 07:58 PM
The rudder was replaced with the following materials:

1" diameter bronze shaft (total cost ~$300 including material and machining)

two sheets (each 2' x 4' of marine grade plywood) for ~$100 total

The six bronze bolts to attach the rudder to shaft ~$100 total

Then there was my labor to shape the plywood, fit he shaft, epoxy the whole works together, fiberglass the whole thing, and put a sufficient number of epoxy barrier coats to prevent water intrusion. (priceless?)

I did not replace the shoe, but did take the pintle in the shoe and expand it from ~3/4" diameter (and out of round from years of use) to perfectly round and ~1" diameter so that the bearing area on the shaft/shoe interface was larger.

p.s., and the boat is still for sale.

mrgnstrn
12-04-2005, 06:15 AM
I was at the marina this weekend, so I took some more-better pictures.
The first one is a little bit of an action shot, but with no action, really.

mrgnstrn
12-04-2005, 06:16 AM
part two, slightly different vantage point.

mrgnstrn
12-04-2005, 06:17 AM
what a fine looking bow!

mrgnstrn
12-04-2005, 06:19 AM
Now without the "action" part.

mrgnstrn
12-04-2005, 06:20 AM
another vantange point

mrgnstrn
12-04-2005, 06:21 AM
yet another shot
(boy it sure is easy to get carried away when you aren't paying for developing!)

mrgnstrn
12-04-2005, 06:22 AM
last shot, just to prove that she has a port side as well!

mrgnstrn
01-12-2006, 07:11 AM
....still for sale.....
Now located on the hard in Deale, MD.

mrgnstrn
03-23-2006, 11:07 AM
She is listed in Spinsheet for $6000.
So that is my new offer....$6000...obo.

mrgnstrn
05-01-2006, 05:06 PM
It is May Day.....and she must go away,
to a good home, where she can roam,
and sail all the long day....

....and to help that along....
....at the end of this song....
....is a new price.....
....that someone will find quite nice....

$5000 or best resonable offer

(seriously.....best resonable offer)

And it is not long before she ends up on ebay.....
And if not there....dreaded donation, which kills me because I still love her so. Really, I wish I could keep both.
But the boss doesn't want to hear it.

The features and ammenities are listed at the top of this thread.

frank durant
05-01-2006, 05:23 PM
ya know...I just don't get it. Thats a dam fine lookin boat !! The price is GREAT for the condition it appears to be in. They sail great,are safe,comfortable,fast and seaworthy.....not to mention beautiful boats !!! Why the heck hasn't it sold.Dam fools buying Hunters and Macgregors daily and a REAL BOAT like that sits.....I don't get it

tha3rdman
05-03-2006, 05:09 AM
Someone needs to kick me in the arse, she is in so much better condition then the former "III C's" I purchased. and at 5k!!!

Stupid stupid stuipd, no not you eric.

xroyal
05-04-2006, 07:51 PM
No wonder you feel sick about selling so low. I've a chance on an Ariel here in Oregon for $2500 that looks like boat trash next to your beauty, let alone all the gear you've improved. I'm meeting the owner tomorrow, and I'll be thinking long and hard before I undertake that project. Your boat would be a quick no brainer purchase for me.

Best of luck!! :)

tha3rdman
05-05-2006, 04:30 AM
Maybe worth it to price out some transportation

http://www.haulingdepot.com/boat_transport.cfm

or the like

xroyal
05-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Paul, I requested a quote from your link. I had forgotten Deale, and used Annapolis origin which should give a decent ballpark figure. I hesitate to think what it cost to ship 2-3 tons of boat about 3000 miles, and I'm taking a wild guess it'll be as much as the purchase price.

Wish I still had my lovely house on Chincoteague Island,VA. ;)...do the Bay one year and the Atlantic the next.

tha3rdman
05-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Back in the day I wanted to be a "driver" going rate was about 80 cents a mile, I'd assume (bad I know) they would schedule is so they dont deadhead, let us know for grins what they quote ya, (there should be others too) worst case find a trailer to "borrow" and fetch it yourself :)

xroyal
05-05-2006, 03:09 PM
No word yet. Let's see, assuming my Ford van would haul it (?), 6000 miles round trip, 10 mpg, 600gal x $4ea, only $2400 for gas + beds and food. Heck of a deal.

Just left my marina looking at the Ariel, to much work at any price!

While there a fellow said he had a Catalina 30 trucked from L.A. to Oregon for $5 a ft., total cost in the lake here = $5000 including mast take down in L.A., launching via rental crane and mast setup. So that's only for about 800-900 miles vs about 3000.

Will share the shocking results when I get them.

drm901
05-05-2006, 03:23 PM
I considered hauling my Ariel about a year ago. The cost worked out to $1/mile, In my case, that was $1200.

I got my quote from someone listed at:
http://www.by-the-sea.com/

c_amos
06-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Well Keith,

Since neither you nor the new owner have posted it.... I guess I will.

Sold!!! :D

I am not the buyer, (#226 s/v 'Fatih' is my Ariel of course) I am just the..... Broker.... (no, I think they get paid....) um..... delivery captain..... (No, they get paid too......) ;) I guess I will settle for being the guy who gets to bring a great boat from Deale MD to the New River, in NC.

Well, we ticked off mile 180 of our trip today

'Ariel Spirit' Hull #3 has performed wonderfully!

I am typing this from the courtesy dock at Elizabeth City, after Rose and I stepped for on land for the first time in the last 4 days (had a wonderful dinner at Groupers, and made the Rose brothers 'party' at the town dock).

Day one, out of Deale was one of the best days sailing I have ever had. Had 25-30 knots on a broad Stbd reach for the entire day..... http://sailfar.net/forum/Smileys/default/grin.gif Started late, but still made Solomans Is. in time to watch the last of the sun set.

Day 2 we got caught out in a gale.... pretty nasty, I heard reports of 2 capsized boats (well, powerboats anyway) and listened to one conversation involving a rescue of some folks from a 27' Bayliner (?) that started taking on water and sunk(?!?!). No problem for an Ariel.... (glad to have the manuel bilge pump though).

I will write more on Keith's modifications to this boat later, but I have to tell you the 1) Self tailing winches, 2) Air blower on the Lazy-rat (for motoring in the ICW with the hatch closed) and 3) double life lines and stern pulpit.... have all become 'must have' items aboard Faith.

It was really nice to meet you Keith, and your family. Thanks for doing such a great job with this boat!

We are doing well, and I will catch up more later. Just wanted to give a quick update to let everyone know we were alive and well.

mbd
06-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the update Craig - good news! And you got a nice cruise out of it to boot! Be sure and let Keith know he can still visit us on the forum even though he's "sold out". :D

mrgnstrn
06-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Yes, #3 is sold.

I was waiting to post anything until I heard that you all were safely in NC, but since you spilled the beans.....

Brittany (the eventual owner) is a lovely young lady, and will need plenty of help from you old salts out there. So treat her right (or else.....:) )

Craig, hope all is well, and please post a note when you arrive safely in New Bern (right?)

commanderpete
06-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Very good. Congratulations all around

[QUOTE=c_amos]No problem for an Ariel.... (glad to have the manuel bilge pump though).

hmmmmm...waiting for that story. This aint a rental car you're driving there buddy

And who is Manuel?

c_amos
06-14-2006, 07:01 AM
Manuel ?

Oh, he was the guy I wished I had working the manual bilge pump. ;)

I am typing up a post on the trip, and will post the details later. It was a great trip and the boat is safely tucked in it’s slip on the New River in NC.

c_amos
06-14-2006, 07:08 PM
Here is the rest of the trip south to deliver Ariel Spirit. I posted this on SAILFAR.NET (thanks for hosting the pictures Kurt). :D

Well, we ticked off mile 180 of our trip from Deale, MD to the New River, NC

'Ariel Spirit' Hull #3 has performed wonderfully!

I am typing this from the courtesy dock at Elizabeth City, after Rose and I stepped for on land for the first time in the last 4 days (had a wonderful dinner at Groupers, and made the Rose brothers 'party' at the town dock).

Day one, out of Deale was one of the best days sailing I have ever had. Had 25-30 knots on a broad Stbd reach for the entire day..... Started late, but still made Solomans Is. in time to watch the last of the sun set. http://sailfar.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10150/SolamansSunset.jpg
Day 2 we got caught out in a gale....http://sailfar.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10150/ChesStorm.jpg[ pretty nasty, I heard reports of 2 capsized boats (well, powerboats anyway) ;) http://sailfar.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10150/ChesStorm1.jpgand listened to one conversation involving a rescue of some folks from a 27' Bayliner (?) that started taking on water and sank(?!?!).

http://sailfar.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10150/ChesStorm3.jpg
We are doing well, and I will catch up more later. Just wanted to give a quick update to let everyone know we were alive and well.

http://sailfar.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10150/Running.jpg

The boat is safely tucked in it's slip on the New River in NC. It was a fantastic trip, we only had bad weather that one day I posted about before.

Rose caught a nice striped bass, but decided to let it go to get a little bit bigger.... ;D

http://sailfar.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10150/RosesStripedBass.jpg
We anchored at Solomon's Island,
http://sailfar.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10150/SolomansIs.jpg
then on the Rappahannock river. Day 3 we
crossed through Hampton Roads http://sailfar.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10150/NorfolkNaval.jpg and spent the night at the Deep Creek lock,
awaiting entry to the Dismal Swamp Canal. http://sailfar.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10150/DismalLock.jpg

We were even able to motor sail
most of the way down the ditch, it is beautiful and a really enjoyable trip!

http://sailfar.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10150/Dismal2.jpg

http://sailfar.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10150/Dismal1.jpg

After the Dismal Swamp, we spent a night at the Elizabeth City courtesy dock. This was a big deal for us, as a couple years ago we had been unable to make up to these docks and had a bad experience trying. This time we had
nearly the same (bad) cross winds but managed to get tied up. They hold a party on the dock in Elizabeth City, where the 'Rosebud Brother's greet the visiting boaters and they have wine and cheese 'meet and greet' for
everyone. Elizabeth City is a great stop, the city is very cruiser friendly with free wireless internet at the docks, good stores and a courtesy car that will pick you up and take you to the local Farm Fresh for groceries.
http://sailfar.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10150/ElizabethDocks.jpg
The night we spent in Elizabeth City, the wonderful NW winds clocked around to the West. Then as we w left the Albemarle sound, and entered the Alligator River the wind clocked further and came at us from the SW...... we
spent the rest of the day close hauled with the motor ticking over and spent the night at the south end of the Alligator.

The next stop was Belhaven, NC. We stopped in for Ice and decided to spend the night. When we brought 'Faith' down we had stopped there and wanted to
take some time to explore. We spent the night at River Forest Manor Marina, and used the courtesy golf cart to explore the town. It is a neat little place, just being discovered by the developers and real estate vultures. I
recommend lunch at 'Wine and Words' in Belhaven.

We pressed on across the Pamlico sound, and then on across the Neuse River and spent the night in Adam's creek. The next morning we shared the channel
with dozens of dolphins who seemed to appreciate that we were sailing and rewarded us by coming in close to the boat.

Sailing / motoring through Beaufort / Morehead was the most stressful part of the trip (worse then the storm on the Chesapeake). I have always had an 'exciting' time transiting this popular stretch of water.... Our choice to
make our way through on a Saturday morning did little to improve my opinion of power boaters. >:(

Saturday night saw us enjoying a dinner with friends at Mile Hammock. We turned up the river and sailed into the marina with Ariel Spirit's new captain at the tiller. http://sailfar.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10150/CaptBrit.jpg It was the perfect end to a great trip in a great boat.

mbd
06-14-2006, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the pics and the update, Craig. Sounds like a great trip! (...and perhaps the start of a new vocation as a delivery captain?) :)

commanderpete
06-15-2006, 01:49 PM
Right about then, the crew asks why the floorboards are floating

c_amos
06-16-2006, 05:28 AM
Right about then, the crew asks why the floorboards are floating
:D

Actually it would have been shortly after that picture.

It was kinda weird, the waives and even the wind before the storm cell paseed over were actually less then they had been all day. I guess it was the 'calm before the storm'.

c_amos
06-15-2008, 07:50 PM
I am happy to report that Ariel Spirit is doing amazingly well. I had the privelage of sailing aboard her last week and was very impressed with the work done my her Captian and her dad.

They had been toiling away on the deck and brightwork before Rose and I left, but while we were gone they stripped and re-painted the intereior and SHE IS LOOKING GREAT!

She is in EXCELLENT shape, and very well loved and tended by her owners. :D

mrgnstrn
06-16-2008, 06:47 AM
Glad to hear that.
But we need--->Pictures!

:)

OH....and did I screw anything up in my stewardship? Honestly, always trying to learn.

I am happy to report that Ariel Spirit is doing amazingly well. I had the privelage of sailing aboard her last week and was very impressed with the work done my her Captian and her dad.

They had been toiling away on the deck and brightwork before Rose and I left, but while we were gone they stripped and re-painted the intereior and SHE IS LOOKING GREAT!

She is in EXCELLENT shape, and very well loved and tended by her owners. :D

c_amos
09-26-2014, 08:42 AM
Ariel Spirit has changed hands again.

After helping her move from MD to NC for her last owner, I again got involved with her and sailed her to Pensacola.

See Delivering Ariel Spirit Again... (http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php?topic=4335.0) for details of that trip.

She has been very well kept by Brittany, the remainder of the decks were recored, her bright work was kept up and she got new canvas covers, and new interior...

I had posted her on craigslist, but was waiting for some pictures of the work done from the owner before posting here here...

Well, she was bought and sailed out of Pensacola bound for Fairhope, AL this week.

Wade, her new owner plans to live aboard and cruise her. I invited him to the site when he was looking at her, and I hope he registers her with the association soon.

She is a great boat, and it has been a privilege to sail her and assist in finding her a new home once again!

Wade, if you read this; Fair winds! I hope to hear from you soon.