PDA

View Full Version : Lost & Found

commanderpete
09-14-2005, 07:46 AM
What have you lost overboard?

What have you found floating around?

I've dropped tools overboard at the dock. Underway I've lost sailties, a winch handle, a $20 bill, a hat or two. It really depresses me to lose something and be unable to recover it. I've dropped my flag in the water 3 or 4 times but I always get it back.

I had a brand new seat cushion go overboard recently when noone was looking. Came back the same way 3 hours later, and there it was. Yipee! I will call him "Wilson"

I've found at least 8 fenders, hats, a cooler (empty), a slolom waterski.

But, by far the most unusual thing happened about 20 years ago. There, floating in the water, was......

A HUMAN HEAD !!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused:

Actually, on closer inspection, it turned out to be the head of a female manequin.

Sick joke I guess

frank durant
09-14-2005, 08:45 AM
Overboard can get expensive !! My worst was a 1mth old pentex 180 zoom camera I had just purchased !! Kinda went in slow motion...just fast enough to miss my last attempt at a grab.Recently during a near broach,my favorite Tshirt went over , by the time I got the boat under control and tacked back , it had sunk.A few years ago we crossed the gulf steam in mid Feb. WOW...those blow up heart shaped balloons were all over,even 50 miles out.

Bill
09-14-2005, 09:06 AM
Ah, lost and found in and around boats. My contribution includes three pairs of glasses, one wallet, two cell phones, five screwdrivers, a couple of hats, assorted fasteners, pins and other stuff. Ony find was one large fender :mad:

eric (deceased)
09-14-2005, 05:48 PM
One Of The Things That I Mentioned Was The Fact That I Went Through Some Very Hard Times Before I Made My First Voyage.in 1983 I Lost My Girlfreind.she Had An Epilectic Seizure On The Dock And I Pulled Her Lifeless Body Out Of The Cold January Water.I HAD HOMICIDE DETECTIVES INTERROGATING ME INSIDE THE MAIN CABIN,SHE WAS LIVING WITH ME WHEN INFACT I WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE LIVING ABOARD.IMAGINE THE RED TAPE THAT ENSUED..THERES MORE TO IT.....UNEMPLOYMENT,WELFARE, NEGATIVITY SARCASM AND RIDICULE FROM EVERYONE.EVERYONE TOLD ME TO GET RID OF THE BOAT.THE VENTURA HARBOR MASTER HAD IT IN FOR ME IN A VERY BIG WAY AS YOU CAN IMAGINE.THEY WERE CONSTANTLY HARRASSING ME TO NO END.BUT 2 YEARS LATER WAS 1985 .THATS WHEN I SAILED TO HAWAII AND BACK.NOW YOU KNOW HOW FANTASTIC THAT VOYAGE WAS FOR ME.AND WHEN THAT FATEFUL DAY CAME THAT I SAILED BACK TO VENTURA,COMPLETING NEARLY 6000 MILES,THOSE PEOPLE COULD NOT LOOK ME IN THE FACE.BUT I WILL LEAVE IT AT THAT.

eric (deceased)
09-14-2005, 11:04 PM
During My First Return Trip From Hawaii On The Ariel I Had A Time When I Was Able To Get One Of The Outboards Working.in The Middle Of The First No Wind Spell I Pulled Up Next To A Glass Fishing Float From A Fishing Net.they Are About The Size Of A Small Basketball And It Is Green In Color.it Had A Large Amount Of Sea Life Growth On It Indicating It Was In The Water For A Long Time.i Picked It Up Out Of The Water And Cut All The Growth Off And My Cockpit Became Full Of Small Crablike Crustaceans That Fell Off.that Glass Ball Sits Behind My Fathers House On The Intercoastal To This Day

Scott Galloway
09-14-2005, 11:41 PM
Two rudders (Catalina 22 and Cal 25), two pair of nice sunglasses, and a mess of hats.

The rudders were the most interesting. The one on the Catalina 22 went in high winds in a four-foot swell. We were close hauled at the time heading toward a rocky shore. When the rudder ripped off the stern, we broached, put the mast in the water, ripped out the traveler and shredded the main. The leech went first and then every horizontal seam. It was a total loss. I guess it was pretty windy. The jib was flogging and the clew got my sunglasses. Expensive little stunt. Inspection revealed that both pintles on that transom-hung rudder had sheared. The rudder and the pintles were less than four years old. We might have hit some floating kelp or something else. If we did hist something, I didn't see it coming.

On the Cal, the rudderpost broke of where it exits the hull. That wasn't my boat. We located the rudder and motored over to it. It was easy to locate since it was floating on its side. A seagull had landed on it and was just standing there above the surface of the sea. We had a good laugh that time.

Al Lorman
09-15-2005, 06:16 AM
They say that most boats sink at the dock. Well, the most valuable thing I ever lost "overboard" drowned inside in my late Commander. I used to carefully put my wallet and cell phone in the galley sink since it was deep enough to assure that they wouldn't fly around the cabin. One day, I discovered what many of you already know: when you're heeled hard to starboard, water ends up in the sink. It took me a while to figure out why my cell phone was all wet and quite dead, but it had drowned without ever leaving the boat.

Robert Lemasters
09-15-2005, 10:35 AM
The mourning after hurricain Isebel, while rowing out to retrive my boat from what was left of the dock, I came upon a female body half floating. As I turned about to get a better look I realized that she was dressed like some S&M hooker fishnet stockings black leather things, not that I would know myself having had a business on Bourbon Street.She had on a bright auburn wig, make-up with red lipstick etc etc. It Turned out to be one of those full size lifle like blow-up fun-time dolls. Which made me think back to who used to go down to thier boat with combed hair, carring roses and smelling of cologne. Or who smelled of burnt rubber and old spice comming from the dock. :p

eric (deceased)
09-18-2005, 11:55 PM
HALF WAY TO HAWAII ON A 90 FOOT SCHOONER WE SAW SOMETHING STICKING OUT OF THE WATER.IT LOOKED LIKE A NUN BOUY BUT MUCH LARGER.IT WAS PAINTED ORANGE IN COLOR.SOME OF THE CREWMEMBERS WENT OUT ON THE ZODIAC TO SEE WHAT IT WAS.IT WAS ONE OF THOSE UNMANNED DRONE AIRCRAFT THAT WAS EITHER SHOT DOWN OR RAN OUT OF FUEL.BY THE WAY....SOME ONE BY THE NAME OF AHAB HAS BEEN LOOKING FOR A WHITE WHALE.HAVE YOU SEEN .....A WHITE WHALE????(sorry had to put that in)